PDA

View Full Version : car wax and sealant

faisal
10-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi Guys
small Tech question about
waxes and sealant enhance the gloss ? Or only protect and gives depth of color ?

Some body told me that polish enhance the gloss to maximum gloss then wax only protect and gives depth in color is that Right?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AG Online

mwoolfso
10-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Polish enhances the paint's gloss properties.

Sealants protect what was polished.

Waxes add depth to the gloss.

Hybrid formulas confuse the above such that some products can do more than one thing. :-)

BobbyG
10-11-2012, 07:30 AM
A true polish is designed to remove minor surface defects bringing that new like sparkle.

Most of the gorgeous gloss and shine are due to the polishing and surface preparation and not the last step product...

Sealants actually bond to the finish creating a barrier of protection for all that hard work you've just done. Sealants have come a long way over the last 10 years or so and for the most part exceed the durability of most waxes and their shine is amazing.

Waxes also protect but sit on top of the finish or sealant but add depth and richness to the paint and also a little more protection.

faisal
10-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Very good
but if I have car with scratches I tried wax it enhance gloss that area which I try???
so is that mean wax enhance gloss ?

mwoolfso
10-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Waxes will enhance the gloss around the scratches, but will not hide or eliminate the scratches. Depending on how deep they are you may be able to polish them out if the scratches are very superficial; which then they would be called "swirls". You can polish out swirls.

Other approaches exist for you to consider as well:

If they are truly scratches you can use some touch-up paint and perform some wet-sanding on the areas to eliminate the scratches; after this step you would then compound, and then and polish. Or..... just have this work done professionally.

Lastly, you can avoid all the above work by simply using a glaze right after polishing. Glazes are made to fill-in imperfections in the paint and essentially hide scratches and swirls. After the glaze step you would seal and then wax.

faisal
10-14-2012, 06:45 AM
so after I polish the car and removed all scratch is possible to enhance gloss with wax on top of polished area ?

Eandras
10-14-2012, 08:28 AM
so after I polish the car and removed all scratch is possible to enhance gloss with wax on top of polished area ?

Yes. But jeweling with a finish polish on low speed with a real soft pad will really bring it tot he next level. Usually a red pad works well. I use the LC CCS 5.5" pads on speed 3 on a Griots 6" dual action polisher.

Apply a good sealant than a carnauba based wax for protection and depth of color. You will see a real refined look.:buffing: