Foil windsheild heat reflector transferred to dash, now what?

g26er

Reaction score
I've got a customer who used one of those foil looking heat reflectors between the dash and windshield. The one that you use to "keep your car cool" while parked in the sun. On part of the dash it looks like some of the foil transfered to the dash. Dash is a cushioned vinyl. I haven't tried anything yet. I don't want to do anything that will set it in.

A friend of mine had this happen to the seat of his motorcycle when using a cover made of the same type of foil. What ever he tried to get it off with end up setting it in and he basically ruined the vinyl getting it off and I don't want to make a similar mistake.

I thought about steam.... any suggestions guys?

I kind of think whatever your friend used isn't what "set it in" to the vinyl, I think it was that way before he started. Seems to me it would have had to basically melt off the sun shield in order to transfer that way...so it may be tough. If you're worried about "setting" it I'm not sure the heat from the steam is the right direction to be going.

Is it a layer of material stuck on there, or is it just "color"? I mean can you feel any height to it when you run your fingers over it?

I kind of think whatever your friend used isn't what "set it in" to the vinyl, I think it was that way before he started. Seems to me it would have had to basically melt off the sun shield in order to transfer that way...so it may be tough. If you're worried about "setting" it I'm not sure the heat from the steam is the right direction to be going.

Is it a layer of material stuck on there, or is it just "color"? I mean can you feel any height to it when you run your fingers over it?

it's like an extremely thin layer of aluminum foil flaked off and kinda melded (<is that a word?) on the dash... no thickness to it at all when touching it.

I was thinking steam wouldn't be the best either as I feel the heat (sun) is what got it so bad to begin with.

Was thinking APC+ 10:1 or Woolite 10:1 with a gentle scrub from a horse hair. Customer said no biggie if it doesn't come out, but I'm a perfectionist with OCD :(

Ok, so logically, if it's "melded" to the vinyl, you need to "unstick" it...so an APC will be slippery, but maybe a dressing like 303 will be "slipperier" and penetrate to lift...while we're going that direction, maybe some goof off or similar, as long as it's not going to eat the dash.

Ok, so logically, if it's "melded" to the vinyl, you need to "unstick" it...so an APC will be slippery, but maybe a dressing like 303 will be "slipperier" and penetrate to lift...while we're going that direction, maybe some goof off or similar, as long as it's not going to eat the dash.

Okay, I'm with you here. I agree I think it needs to be lifted, somehow, from the surface. I do have googone. I can try in an inconspicuous area first. Hey! Thanks for the help :props:

Just a thought-
Since it's that flakey foil stuff maybe if you got a piece of clear packing tape and taped over it, give it a little rub on the foil, then lift off the tape. It might lift the foil with it and probably won't damage the cushioned vinyl. Maybe get a q-tip with some alcohol and clean the foil first so the tape can get a good bond.

Just a thought-
Since it's that flakey foil stuff maybe if you got a piece of clear packing tape and taped over it, give it a little rub on the foil, then lift off the tape. It might lift the foil with it and probably won't damage the cushioned vinyl. Maybe get a q-tip with some alcohol and clean the foil first so the tape can get a good bond.

:iagree: As I was reading this thread i thought this would be a good first step . I would not use duct tape as that may leave additional residue to,clean.

How about trying some WD40 or other penetrating oil and see if it creeps between the two layers dialoging the foil...

Hey guys thanks for all the help. Just to update: first thing I tried was googone, didn't touch it. Then on to APC+ 10:1, then 4:1. I even put some Royal Brown in a test spot and all seemed good so I proceeded to try that, nada. A couple other things... Amazing Roll Off, nope. Finally WD40... rubbed it lightly with a horse hair, wiped off w/ APC+ 4:1 and voila... no trace of the silver stuff any more! :dblthumb2:

Thanks again guys!

Edit: to add I tried the tape trick, but all I had was blue painters tape... didn't work.

As Homer Simpson used to say "WD-40, is there anything it can't do?"...oh, wait, that was donuts that he used to say that about...

I must have missed that episode. I'm thinking about when he threw the "W" with the rope on it out of the runaway monorail window and it stuck in the giant donut...

That's true!
I think that Homer said that about many things over the years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AG Online

I know you got it off but I use DP interior cleaner with a microfiber towel or horse hair brush when it's happened to me and it comes out very easily

Back