Cleaning The Wells

BlackCoupe

Reaction score
What brush/detailing tools do you use-There is hardly enough room between the tire and the well to fit my hand and a brush, let alone work it. Have you guys found any long handled flatish brushes?

i just spray my cleaner in there..let it sit..rinse off and spray with dressing...never really had to scrub a wheel well...

If you don't have enough room to work, is it really necessary to get them 100% clean? I would try orngez tips to see if that gets it any better. A long, thin brush could also do the trick. Or, you could jack the car up behind the tire to give you added clearance.

Well, if it is your car, take the tire off. Then you can get all the well, the inside and back of the rim, brake calipers, etc. Someone elses details, work the brush the best you can, or get a degreaser that will pull the crap and give it a nice black look at the same time with minimal scrubing (DP engine degreaser is perfect for that).

After the cleaners and rinse they get a wipe dry with the tires. It's always with my terry cloth shop towels. Often times the towel gets so black it's a toss.

If you didn't think of it, turn the wheels on the car before you start.

I just got a wheel cleaning mitt type product at Target that I'm going to try on the wheel wells. It has MF on one side, and some sort of rough netting surface on the other side. I think it was a Viking product.

greg'sgoat said:
Well, if it is your car, take the tire off. Then you can get all the well, the inside and back of the rim, brake calipers, etc. Someone elses details, work the brush the best you can, or get a degreaser that will pull the crap and give it a nice black look at the same time with minimal scrubing (DP engine degreaser is perfect for that).

That's a possibility (extreme), but it has one of those tire pressure sensors--I think removing the wheel screws it up.

Grimm said:
If you didn't think of it, turn the wheels on the car before you start.

I just got a wheel cleaning mitt type product at Target that I'm going to try on the wheel wells. It has MF on one side, and some sort of rough netting surface on the other side. I think it was a Viking product.

Yes, I thought of that and it helped on the front. I could use a toilet bowl brush! I am going to suggest a new product- a Mitt with bristles on one or both sides.

removing the wheel shouldnt affect any sensors i dont think....pressure washer and degreaser works best for me! i shot some dp engine degreaser in my wells once, WOW! it may not be safe to do this regularly, since my wells are painted, but they were the whitest wells i ever saw!

The tire pressure sending unit is on the end of the valve stem itself, it's inside the wheel and doesn't care if it's on the car or not. Remove the tire safely.... it's all good. Neat little devices my wife's Mazda 3 has them.

Make sure tire shops know they're on the car as when tires get changed they can be torn off by the removal bar

I really like the following Deep Reach Wire Wheel Brushes that AG sells:
autogeek_1946_91886702

The longer brush is 16" long. It works great on very wide rims and you can get into very tight places on your wheels and inbetween the wheels and the wheel wells.

Gary Sword said:
I really like the following Deep Reach Wire Wheel Brushes that AG sells:
autogeek_1946_91886702

The longer brush is 16" long. It works great on very wide rims and you can get into very tight places on your wheels and inbetween the wheels and the wheel wells.

Thanks Gary--I didn't see these on the site. I also found this toilet brush at Publix--

The bristles seem just right in firmness--they can get in around the nooks and crannies in the wheel well, but also firm enough to get the grease/junk off the surfaces, and it is rounded all over at the end. The handle is straight and the length seems just right.

Last edited:
Back