PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite OEM Paint?

Pages : [1] 2

720eyes
10-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Which OEM paint comes out the factory looking the best.
Second question...which is the easiest to work with?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
First off there are way to many variables and different paint systems on the market to choose from WITHOUT knowing what paint system was used for a specific car line.

Second, again without knowing what system was used you dont know what the paint is like to work with untill you actually put a machine to it.

Dont mean to bash you but just giving you more perspective of paint systems.

ScottB
10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
I prefer thicker GM paint for correcting but would love a paint system that needed no correction and always stayed perfect.

FUNX650
10-15-2012, 02:57 PM
First off there are way to many variables and different paint systems on the market to choose from WITHOUT knowing what paint system was used for a specific car line.

Second, again without knowing what system was used you dont know what the paint is like to work with untill you actually put a machine to it.

^^^ :goodpost:^^^ and: :iagree:

-But I must add my answers to your questions OP720eyes

1.) Which OEM paint comes out the factory looking the best.
Second question...which is the easiest to work with?
1.)The OEM painted vehicles that come out of GM's Bowling Green, Kentucky assembly plant looks the best! :D

2.)I'll refer back to smack's (Mike's) above post; and, the below thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/56236-victoryred-s-corvette-meets-mikes-detail-shop.html

:)

Bob

sparty
10-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Considering the cars, trucks, and SUVs I have owned and considering the cars, trucks, and SUVs I have detailed I like the OEM paint on only a few. It is easier to say which OEM paint I dislike. :laughing:

I will give you a quick run down:

I love the paint on my 2012 Volvo XC60 R-design - very well finished and hard enough to resist swirls. Zero defects from a factory finish.

I like the paint on my 1998 F150 XLT Extended Cab Lariat 4X4 - it resists chips and looks amazing when polished.

Here is a surprise. I also love the paint on my 2012 Kia Optima SX - zero orange peel and smooth as glass on a car that is really affordable and a daily driver.

My wife has a Mazda CX9 - the paint is pretty nice, no swirls, but does tend to chip - not happy about that on a pretty expensive SUV.

Hated the paint on my 2003 Honda Accord EX-L V6. Swirled just looking at it.

Hated the paint on my 1998 VW GTI VR6 - same as the Honda - swirls galore, but would polish out well.

On vehicles I have detailed: I like some Mercedes paint - depends on the year. Older BMW paint is awful, newer 1000 times better. GM paint is so-so depending on the line and model. Ford paint is the same - Lincoln has some nice paint on the MKS. Jaguar paint is flawless on newer models. I recently detailed a Porsche Cayman very nice paint, but it was swirled due to improper washing.

I still dislike Honda and VW paint - every time I take a job on these paints it is a handful to correct.

-Sparty

Ray@Autogeek
10-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Ferrari Red.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-15-2012, 03:44 PM
^^^ :goodpost:^^^ and: :iagree:

-But I must add my answers to your questions OP720eyes

1.)The OEM painted vehicles that come out of GM's Bowling Green, Kentucky assembly plant looks the best! :D

2.)I'll refer back to smack's (Mike's) above post; and, the below thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/56236-victoryred-s-corvette-meets-mikes-detail-shop.html

Bob

Bob you never fail to impress me with your thorough research and answers to forum questions. :props:

I too was pretty blown away at the results that I achieved with that Vette. Im the MAN I could not stop looking at it. The paint just seemed to run down the sides of the car.

-Mike

The Moose
10-15-2012, 03:53 PM
I think GM Black is one of the nicer paints I've seen around. It looks great and is quite hardy.

BMW LAGUNA SECA BLUE is one of my all time favorites. I've never done a super close up inspection on one, but damn its a sexy color and looks incredible from a few feet away.

720eyes
10-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Because I'm new at the science of car polishing. The paint that I'm most familiar with is BMW. I like the way it holds up (everyday use) and the way it cleans up.
My 03 Avalanche seem to have a thick hard clear coat, hard for me polish out any defects.

FUNX650
10-15-2012, 05:12 PM
I too was pretty blown away at the results that I achieved with that Vette. Im the MAN I could not stop looking at it.
The paint just seemed to run down the sides of the car.

-Mike
I'm hoping the OP, and others as well, take a look at the thread I posted.

That way folks can see that:
-You're the reason that paint was seemingly running down the sides of that Corvette...
-What a showcase of your Knowledge/abilities/skills to accomplish correction on one of the hardest/densest CC's around...
-This should provide a confidence-builder to those that have any consternation about paint-correction...IMO

BTW: It's been awhile since my 'red one' looked even half that good....
(I'm embarrassed to say)...Gotta get back in the saddle. Soon!

Bob

NOTE: Thanks for your kind words Mike.

longdx
10-15-2012, 05:30 PM
GM Black
New Hyundai/Kia paint -some of the best in the industry(almost Mercedes like in appearance)
----------------------------------
Both my wife and I have a Honda and Toyota respectfully. While we like our cars, the factory paint is awful (thin, chips easily)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Because I'm new at the science of car polishing. The paint that I'm most familiar with is BMW. I like the way it holds up (everyday use) and the way it cleans up.
My 03 Avalanche seem to have a thick hard clear coat, hard for me polish out any defects.

If you need any help or guidance with the BMW I am a pm away. I have two black ones to maintain... Im also a painter and know a thing or two about paint systems.

My Jet black BMW's have incredible depth.

Bill1234
10-15-2012, 05:46 PM
I like Lincolns new paint, it has a certain glow to it that makes it unique

M0nk3y
10-15-2012, 06:30 PM
I love BMW Laguna Seca Blue. Only produced for the E46 M3 for the first couple of years and it's absolutely beautiful.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2768/4389963413_874ae45499.jpg

stangfreak
10-15-2012, 10:28 PM
deep impact blue
lizstick red ( mustang guys know this one heheh )
sonic blue
mystichrome