PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if this is true but would like to know.

jjj
10-19-2012, 11:37 AM
I heard a couple of days ago that you can make your own spray detail with a car shampoo like pinnacle. I didn't believe it till a guy brought some ( smelled like pinnacle) and showed me what it looked like on his truck. Slick as hell. he told me he got form another car guy so he didn't know what ratio was. Anyone tried this or has this been a load or junk. If this is true what and how much?

THX

Mike Phillips
10-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Well normally, car wash soap solution doesn't tend to wipe off like a quality spray detailer nor leave a clear finish.

Haven't tried mixing the products that you listed so don't know for sure but spray detailers are formulated to wipe over the paint easily, flash off somewhat quickly and leave a residue free surface with some level of gloss or shine.

Traditionally you wouldn't want to let car wash soap dry on your car's paint as it would look like a film on the paint.

:)

DaveT435
10-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Is it possible that this could have been made with one of their new products?? Waterless or rinseless washes not the shampoo??

jjj
10-19-2012, 12:08 PM
It could have been, but he swore it was shampoo. I would have to ask the original chef of the product. He stated he had it for a while. It just got me very curious.

FUNX650
10-19-2012, 12:47 PM
@OP: jjj

"Detail Sprays"...may/will...have/contain:

-A type of cleaner/surfactant---(are they the same as what's in
shampoos, detergents, dish-washing liquids?)
-IPA
-Distilled water
-Polydimethalsiloxane(s); or, polyaminosiloxane(s)<<<(Are these the same? :confused:)
-Emulsifiers
-Propellants (if pressurized)
-Even...(drum-roll)...Silicone/Polymers!! :eek: (J/K :D)

If you'd like to experiment...
Try a recipe (into a quart-size container) with just:
-A couple of three drops of your favorite "surfactant-liquid" (if your lucky...it may already have some "poly's" in it)
-Around 1/2 cup of household variety IPA
-Fill the remaining container-void with distilled water
-This mixture should be shaken (not stirred!) well before use.
-(Please post the results. Thanks.)

OOOPS! If I had a recipe: "do over"; and now, having paid more attention to something Mr. Phillips said in the below post:

Traditionally you wouldn't want to let car wash soap dry on your car's paint as it would look like a film on the paint.

I would encourage you to substitute my generic usage of:"surfactant-liquid"...To:

'Baby Shampoo'...Especially one of the: "No More Tears" variety.

-But, surely, there must be more money-savvy ventures than: Homebrewed Detail Sprays...:dunno:

Bob

Old Tiger
10-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I retired all my qD's when I tried the new Waterless Washes, especially Ultima. It costs $3.50 a gallon and leaves a better finish than any QD I ever tried. Just my $.02 FWIW.

lostdaytomorrow
10-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Wait, QDs have IPA? Since when? Doesn't that strip the LSP?

FUNX650
10-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Wait, QDs have IPA? Since when? Doesn't that strip the LSP?

Some QD's may/will contain IPA...
probably no more than 3-5&#37;, by volume.

QDs with IPA...stripping LSP?
-LSP's vary in their characteristics, as far as: being affected by "cleaners"...including QD's.

-Everytime a lot of LSP's are touched...
there goes some of it...often in a 'towel of sorts'.

-Using a QD/and-a-towel to touch some LSP's will also remove some of it.
That's why some QD's will furnish 'some replacements', so to say, for some of that removed-LSP.

What are some of these "replacements"?
-The QD's Chemist/formulator/blender will know for sure!

But could some of them be (?):
-Glycols (as in propylene glycol)
-Polydimethylsiloxanes/or some other geometrically-named siloxane
-Glycerine/Glycerol
-A little bit of BIT (Benzisothiazolinone)...a biocide/fungicide

Why I'd even bet that some QD's surfactants may even be sodium hydroxide. :eek:

Bob