PDA

View Full Version : ?: Pulling quotes from another thread...

Pages : [1] 2

Hoytman
10-22-2012, 08:30 AM
...and placing them in a new thread. How do you do that?

Example in post #3 of this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/56643-detailers-hang-out-discussion-forums-know-more-than-detailers-don-t.html

Chris's FX4
10-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Click QUOTE for post #3 in that thread. Then copy what appears in the message box, and then paste it into your message in the thread you want it in.

That's best I can describe it. Unless there is another way?

TroyScherer
10-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Here is how I do it.

Right click and open the "quote" option in a new window.
Copy and paste the quote into your new post in the thread you want to use it in.
Delete the text you don't need. But make sure you keep the opening and closing Quote tag.

ihaveacamaro
10-22-2012, 08:49 AM
The above guys have said exactly what I would've said. I do have one thing to add though.

It's really simple code. All you need is the text you want to quote. If it is stuck in a bunch of other words or paragraphs, sometimes it's easier just to copy the text that you want to quote, rather than going through the whole clicking quote button.

Start by putting
Notice the space. Don't have that in there. If I didn't have the space, the code would kick in and put this as a quote.

When you are done, follow by [ /quote] Once again, no space.

Check this out

[quote=Hoytman] ihaveacamaro is the coolest AGO member ever!

I agree with Hoytman

:D

P.S. Mods please don't ban me, just having some fun. THE ABOVE QUOTES ARE FAKE!

Vegas Transplant
10-22-2012, 08:49 AM
The way I do it is to quote on a thread as if you are going to reply to that thread, to go to the thread where you want to post the quote selected.

You will notice the words at the bottom of the quote box you are responding to , "you have selected one post that is not part of this thread, Quote this post as well. Or deselect this post."

Click on the first underlined.

Another way is to copy/paste whatever you want to transfer then[quote]....[quote]

There are also easier ways.

Mike Phillips
10-22-2012, 08:53 AM
...and placing them in a new thread. How do you do that?

Example in post #3 of this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/56643-detailers-hang-out-discussion-forums-know-more-than-detailers-don-t.html

It's pretty easy to do but you need to get into the "Editor Mode". Guess what... I have an article on this... guess where it's at?

Tips, Techniques and How-to Articles for Interacting on Discussion Forums

How to use the "Editor Mode" to break a single quoted message up into smaller quoted sections (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/20690-how-use-editor-mode-break-single-quoted-message-up-into-smaller-quoted-sections.html)

This is for anyone that's not sure how to use the Editor Mode in vBulletin to tweak their code or to break a large section of quoted material into smaller bites-size sections.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/722/editormode.jpg

It also shows you how to use the up and down arrows to shrink or increase the length of your message box for easier typing.

Done correctly it will look like the below...

How to use the "Editor Mode" to break a single quoted message up into smaller quoted sections.

This is for anyone that's not sure how to use the Editor Mode in vBulletin to tweak their code or to break a large section of quoted material into smaller bites-size sections.

It also shows you how to use the up and down arrows to shrink or increase the length of your message box for easier typing.

Vegas Transplant
10-22-2012, 09:02 AM
The above guys have said exactly what I would've said. I do have one thing to add though.

ihaveacamaro is the coolest AGO member ever!

ihaveacamaro is the coolest AGO member ever!
^^^
Noticed the difference with the red square thingy?

Mike Phillips
10-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I do this all the time,

quote=Name goes here

YOu have to add the ] and [ at the end and beginning of the quote tags which I made BOLD.

/quote]

And when you add the [ or ] in the right places it would look like this...

YOu have to add the ] and [ at the end and beginning of the quote tags which I made BOLD.

You can see these changes in the "Editor Mode".

Sometimes working in WYSIWYG does't get the job done.

:D

ihaveacamaro
10-22-2012, 09:09 AM
^^^
Noticed the difference with the red square thingy?

I never even noticed that before! lol

I always wondered what that ";number" part of the quote did... now I know

Vegas Transplant
10-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Almost like a trademark, with this I always knew the quote was authentic, but now that I know that it can be manipulated, I look at the source offering the quote if it doesn't sound right.

Hurry Up Hoytman!!! Let's see what you came up with!!!LOL

Vegas Transplant
10-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Tried waiting around to give you your :props:.
Gotta go!!!

LOL

Hoytman
10-22-2012, 11:25 AM

Noticed that myself. Still at tad confused about it. I can be pretty thick headed at times, so forgive me. LOL!

Almost like a trademark, with this I always knew the quote was authentic, but now that I know that it can be manipulated, I look at the source offering the quote if it doesn't sound right.

Hurry Up Hoytman!!! Let's see what you came up with!!!LOL

Geez...no pressure huh Vegas. LOL! Hang on, I'll see what I can come up with.

Hoytman
10-22-2012, 11:40 AM
That's not mildew.

What kind of roof does this have and what color is it?

What you're seeing is staining and the source is dirt/brown or rust colored.

A good one-step cleaner/wax should take care of this and keep you down to one step as far as machine applied products.

This could make a good before and after expose of your skill, talent and ability.

:)

How's this? Pretty simple really. Not sure why the picture didn't appear though.

EDIT:

Hey, I just noticed that if you click on the red box in the quote above it will take you directly to Mr. Phillips' post in that thread I extracted it from and there you'll see the photo Mr. Phillips is refering to. That's cool.

ihaveacamaro
10-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Hey, I just noticed that if you click on the red box in the quote above it will take you directly to Mr. Phillips' post in that thread I extracted it from and there you'll see the photo Mr. Phillips is refering to. That's cool.

That's what VT pointed out to me a few posts back lol! :laughing:

As far as the picture, that was actually in a quote that mike was quoting. A quote within a quote won't show up :xyxthumbs:

It's like quoteception

Hoytman
10-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Well, at least I got something right today.:laughing: It's always a good day when you learn something.