Any Hope For This F150 Paint?

OMRebel

Reaction score
This is a green 2002 F150 with neglected paint. The hood and roof appear to have clear coat failure. Initially, the white appears to be oxidation, but on further inspection I can see cracks in the paint.

Can you take a look and tell me your thoughts on either 1) fixing it or 2) slowing down total clear coat failure?
Thanks in advance!

Products I have:
GG 6" Polisher
Lake Country flat pads (yellow, orange, white, black)
Poorboy's SSR 1 & SSR 2.5
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
Collinite 845
I can buy anything else.

8162284107_ae2e2027c1_c.jpg

8162320138_cf8157b8e7_c.jpg

8162289237_cd9f03fb75_c.jpg

If you are seeing cracks in the clear then it's CC failure. Repaint would be needed

I saw a thread where someone polished and opticoated a panel that had cc failure. I believe it worked to at least prevent the paint from getting worse. I think the thread was on autopia.

Also If you want to wax a panel with cracks in the paint you would need to use a wax/sealant that dries clear (wowa) otherwise residue will build up in the cracks and make it look worse. Optiseal is a good wowa sealant.

Sorry I dont have any personal experience dealing with clear coat failure

If you are seeing cracks in the clear then it's CC failure. Repaint would be needed

Thanks for the response, but repainting is not an option. I'm selling it around February.

Also If you want to wax a panel with cracks in the paint you would need to use a wax/sealant that dries clear (wowa) otherwise residue will build up in the cracks and make it look worse.

Thanks, I may give this a shot. I know it's not optimal, but like I said, just trying to slow the inevitable until I sell it.

Back