Sealant on top of Carnauba

Waxmax

Reaction score
Seems like to old rule of not applying a sealant on top of carnauba is being dismissed with the introduction of ZCS and OS. CG tells me their Blitz spray and Wet Mirror Finish can also be applied over cured carnauba. AW may also fall into this catagory.

What makes some sealants compatible wrt topping carnauba and some not?

Good one Max. I'd like to know too. Guys on here have posted that AW is one of the products that can top a carnauba.

Jimmie said:
Good one Max. I'd like to know too. Guys on here have posted that AW is one of the products that can top a carnauba.
AW probably yes, it's polymers can bond to carnauba. But keep in mind that it's not durable, and will wash off after a first wash.

The sealants need to come in contact with a clean surface for the polymers to bond to the paint. If they don't bond, as supercharged said, they'll just wash off. This is true for any sealant, and IMO even AW, Z-CS and OS... but OS or CS may contain 'other stuff' vs. traditional polymers.

Well optimum claims that OS actually moves the carnauba, they said if you apply it on top of a carnauba that it will bond underneath and re-locate the carnauba to the top.

Dont ask me how, or why but they did say that.

It all depends on the chemical make up of the polymer....they can restructure the polymer chain by adding different elements..like zinc and a few others to enhance it ....I believe there is 1000 or 10,000 different formulations for polymers...all different by what they add to them...

AW uses a synthetic wax resin and polymer combo that will bond....the synthetic resin bonds to the wax and the polymer bonds to the resin...thats why it can be used on a wet car..so it does not wash off as some think....it is a patented formula....Just like OS and Z-CS bond to wax...its in the formulation...

Al

Thanks for the replies. I know that AW does bond to carnauba and Al helped explain to me why.

The new formulations coming out are pretty amazing. Optimum's David G. has said that cured carnauba might "migrate" into the OS, so the look might be kind of a hybrid carnauba/OS look. Interesting.

I got it, here it is

Opti-Seal Q&A - Optimum Forum

And the part I was talking about:

Dose Opti-seal lock in my Carnauba?
No. The solvents will dissolves carnauba floating it to the top of the
Opti-Seal. This fact holds true with any solvent based WOWA sealant.
The carnauba is not removed just repositioned.

As you can see..new technology in car care products is zooming ahead...the days of old ways are slowly passing....Now that the Jones want to keep with the Kellys ..research in new products are going strong....they need to gain market share...look at Poly Seal it is polymer wax combo AIO..the work together...Hi Temp has a few also...In 5 years you will be throwing out all your products you have now because they will be so outdated....you can thank NASA for the new polymers out today...they have used Big Chemical Engineering companies to develop new synthetic polymers for the space program and now they are used in products like car care and even medical applications....

Al

ron231 said:
Well optimum claims that OS actually moves the carnauba, they said if you apply it on top of a carnauba that it will bond underneath and re-locate the carnauba to the top.

Dont ask me how, or why but they did say that.

nothing against ron, he isnt the one who said it, but.... this is the most rediculous thing i have ever heard. :eek:

bambo2888 said:
nothing against ron, he isnt the one who said it, but.... this is the most rediculous thing i have ever heard. :eek:

I'd be afraid it would start a fire!

...and even if it is true, kinda makes you say "So why not just put the sealant on first and then top it with wax as we do now"?

After reading the Optimum Forum post...about the carnauba layer moving to the top of the OS(??), it does sound like you should just top the OS with carnauba. My understanding was that there was some migration/dissolving of the carnauba to form a hybrid OS/carnauba layer. Some are expecting to top their Souveran with OS and have a Souveran look with more durability. I guess we shall see.

Ive put AW over carnuaba many times with no problems. After all, there is polymers in most carnuaba wax formulars.

supercharged said:
AW probably yes, it's polymers can bond to carnauba. But keep in mind that it's not durable, and will wash off after a first wash.

AW??? :confused: I FORGOT WHAT THAT IS:o

Nope. I don't buy it. I need more evidence. I don't see how it can dissolve the carnauba and make it float to the top. If it dissolves carnauba then what it the mechanism that makes it float to the top? Magic? I would think that when the carnauba is dissolved then it would be all mixed up with the sealant material preventing the sealant from bonding with the... uh.... ..... hmm....... I see.... Ok. Never mind. Now that I talked my way through that I think that this would actually work.
Carnauba is on the paint. Opti breaks up the bonds. The opti that is lucky enough to come into contact with paint bonds with it. Carnauba is left 'hanging'. Carnauba bonds to opti which is bonded to paint.
Cool.

Cheetah said:
Nope. I don't buy it. I need more evidence. I don't see how it can dissolve the carnauba and make it float to the top. If it dissolves carnauba then what it the mechanism that makes it float to the top? Magic? I would think that when the carnauba is dissolved then it would be all mixed up with the sealant material preventing the sealant from bonding with the... uh.... ..... hmm....... I see.... Ok. Never mind. Now that I talked my way through that I think that this would actually work.
Carnauba is on the paint. Opti breaks up the bonds. The opti that is lucky enough to come into contact with paint bonds with it. Carnauba is left 'hanging'. Carnauba bonds to opti which is bonded to paint.
Cool.

I believe you just had an argument with yourself, and you won:D.

Back