effect of spray waxes on lsp

Chito

Reaction score
been wondering: so i've done all the necesary steps on my car, wash, clay, polish, seal, and wax (all AG products) so i get an excellent finish. Whenever i wash my car afetrwards i like to use spray wax to revive the slickness. If i used "boutique waxes" like souveran, max wax, etc. then used otc spray waxes like eagle one nanowax or wash and wax, would i get an "eagle one" shine or still the "souveran" lsp shine? pls enlighten me as i might be doing something stupid. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AG Online

I used some Souveran spray wax over two week old MaxWax, yesterday after I washed, while drying. I did not notice any different look but it did amp up the smoothness.

As a general rule. Your final product used will dictate the look. So if your used Eagle1 then it will have the Eagle1 look. Now you base product do have some effect... But really you are looking at the top layer.

Spray waxes and spray sealants can really add to the final look of your finish and keep that just waxed look going. So think of some as a little booster and detail spray in one bottle.

Whenever i wash my car afetrwards i like to use spray wax to revive the slickness.

-If you're going to be using a spray-wax after every vehicle-washing-session,
.......(instead of, say, a 'detail-spray').......

-I'll suggest using one that really counts for something.

Like one that will provide (among others):
-Patented: UV-A&B protection/augmentation to/for a vehicle's CC paint;
-Carnuba/Polymer combo;
-Plus: 'slickness'

Optimum Car Wax

:)

Bob

I would skip the Pep Boys stuff. AG often has at least one good spray wax on BOGO or some sort of sale. It's really worth it IMHO to buy good detailing supplies, like the stuff AG sells. If your going to spend hours working on your cars finish, why mess with something that may be anything but top notch? The Pinnacle Spray Wax is just awesome. That's what I would use with Souveran.

I would skip the Pep Boys stuff. AG often has at least one good spray wax on BOGO or some sort of sale. It's really worth it IMHO to buy good detailing supplies, like the stuff AG sells. If your going to spend hours working on your cars finish, why mess with something that may be anything but top notch? The Pinnacle Spray Wax is just awesome. That's what I would use with Souveran.

:iagree:

There's a bogo on xmt spray wax now, and gallons of OCW are like $40, i'd get those over anything pep boys would sell....

I hate to disagree guys ......but there are many products available OTC that AG sells.

DG aqua wax is available otc which is Awsome.
Megs Ultimate Quick wax aka D156 is also some great stuff.
Mothers is another......and so on.....

If your looking for OTC then choose wisely.

There are some great products on AG and they get 90% of my biz....but if its available OTC why should I order it?

to the OP if you like using a spray wax (as a booster or as a lsp) after a wash go for it....I do it all the time! as does alot of the forum folks.

and this is coming from a guy that buys M105/205 and MF pads from walmart!

Last edited:
I would skip the Pep Boys stuff.
I agree with this since Pep Boys doesn't sell Duragloss. I prefer to buy Duragloss products from Auto Geek since I can normally get it cheaper by the gallon and I don't have to pay sales tax.

I hate to disagree guys ......but there are many products available OTC that AG sells.

DG aqua wax is available otc which is Awsome.
Megs Ultimate Quick wax aka D156 is also some great stuff.
Mothers is another......and so on.....

If your looking for OTC then choose wisely.

There are some great products on AG and they get 90% of my biz....but if its available OTC why should I order it?

to the OP if you like using a spray wax (as a booster or as a lsp) after a wash go for it....I do it all the time! as does alot of the forum folks.

and this is coming from a guy that buys M105/205 and MF pads from walmart!

I dont think I ever said AG didn't sell those things, just suggesting the OP use an actual good spray wax amongst the many offered, thats all! What would you rather have, Optimum Spray Wax or Eagle one? pretty easy answer and all I was suggesting to the OP.

thanks for all your inputs. so it seems that detail sprays are better as they do not add any "wax look" on top of the fine lsp. Maybe OCW after a month or two.

Well, I use klasse sealant for more than a year now.... toping it with max wax really enhances the shine, but the car gets dirtier quicker...
So I haven't been topping it since I last reapplied it.... But it's just me,i might just opti coat next time.

I think that unless you are the type that only washes your car like non auto geeks (without boosting it with a spray product of some sort afterwards)...the whole LSP thing is very over rated in my opinion. If you are applying a spray wax or sealant after every wash (usually weekly or bi-weekly), you would really NEVER have to apply any LSP to the paint. In fact a product like a rinse-less wash with carnuba (or Gary Dean's infinite use detail juice)...is probably all you would ever need and you could get rid of specialized LSP products.

been wondering: so i've done all the necesary steps on my car, wash, clay, polish, seal, and wax (all AG products) so i get an excellent finish. Whenever i wash my car afetrwards i like to use spray wax to revive the slickness. If i used "boutique waxes" like souveran, max wax, etc. then used otc spray waxes like eagle one nanowax or wash and wax, would i get an "eagle one" shine or still the "souveran" lsp shine? pls enlighten me as i might be doing something stupid. Thanks

There very well may be slight differences in the "look" of different product families, but also differences in the chemical make up that helps their effectiveness when they work together. Having said that, it would be my opinion that using an inexpensive over the counter product on top of a quality wax is somewhat defeating the purpose of using a quality wax to begin with.

In reading through the various comments, there might have been a little confusion between spray waxes and quick detailers. There are spray waxes which are meant to either enhance an already applied level of protection or act as protection on their own, in addition to enhancing shine and slickness. Quick detailers are more meant for removing fingerprints, light dust etc, but generally do not add any protection or boost to the surface.

AG carries a lot of good relatively inexpensive spray waxes. I use XMT spray wax, its often on bogo and works well. I used to use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax when I was using NXT as my sealant, and it worked well as well.

I think that unless you are the type that only washes your car like non auto geeks (without boosting it with a spray product of some sort afterwards)...the whole LSP thing is very over rated in my opinion. If you are applying a spray wax or sealant after every wash (usually weekly or bi-weekly), you would really NEVER have to apply any LSP to the paint. In fact a product like a rinse-less wash with carnuba (or Gary Dean's infinite use detail juice)...is probably all you would ever need and you could get rid of specialized LSP products.

This. DG aquawax is the only thing my car gets right now after every other wash and it beads like crazy. I think the only beneficial thing about applying a spray wax is slickness, enhancing the shine, and insurance so that the finish is always protected.

As a general rule. Your final product used will dictate the look. So if your used Eagle1 then it will have the Eagle1 look. Now you base product do have some effect... But really you are looking at the top layer.

:iagree:

If you are using a high-end wax, it really is counterproductive to apply something like an OTC spray "wax" (most of them don't have even one gram of carnauba...) over it. On their own, well maintained with a good shampoo, they will give you 2-3 months of durability.

....so using aquawax on top of souveran gives the car the aquawax shine instead of the souveran shine?

Whilst I agree with the general opinion you should keep in mind that you can do some funky things with a spray wax which you cannot with a hard wax. That of course introduces all manner of new queries to the table... like whether your wax/spray wax is/are actually plain waxes or whether there are other things in there too - frankly it is impossible to know and you are stuck with testing.

Oh and FYI, many quick detailers do leave 'residues'... when you are talking about a surfactant (non-volatile) product, it is extremely difficult to remove all the residual product without the assistance of a rinse or water.

Eagle One Spray Wax, believe it or not, is actually a pretty good spray wax. Cheap too. But please be aware that because of the extremely high solvent content it will strip off any LSP's that is underneath. For this very reason Eagle One can't be layered.

For me, spray waxes turn my car into a dust magnet, so I only use them whenever I don't have enough time for a paste or liquid.

It's all personal preference. If you like Eagle One, then go ahead and keep using it.

Hope this helps.

Back