Just want to make sure I've got this all straight...

zmcgovern45

Reaction score
First things first - I use a PC7424XP and 5.5" LC Pads (I have orange, white, black, blue, and crimson)

From time to time I will notice haze and/or micro marring remaining after using M205 with finishing pads (most noticeable on dark cars with softer paint. Using LC black pads most often for finishing). This is typically not noticeable until you catch that area at just the right angle under the halogens or in direct sunlight (so they must be very, very minor defects, right? ie not requiring much cut to correct?), so it often catches me off guard as I am doing my final inspection out in the sunlight when I think I am finished polishing.

I've seen several posts with this type of complaint in the past, but they all just run around in circles recommending other products etc etc. so I just wanted to make sure I've got my head wrapped around the actual techniques involved.

Very basic things I try to keep in mind when correcting paint (please correct me if I am wrong!)
- More speed = More Cut
- More pressure = More cut

So in order to finish down better on these softer paints should I simply lower the speed and reduce the pressure? I typically run on a speed 5-5.5 with moderate pressure (enough to compress the pad some, but not what I would consider to be heavy pressure).

Would I be better off on a speed of 4 or lower? I typically apply sealant at speed of 4.

Should I be applying less pressure?

What about when I am doing only one step for polishing - should I begin with a faster speed and moderate pressure and finish the last section passes with a slower speed and lighter pressure?

Hopefully by now you get where I am going with this, so any and all thoughts and comments are appreciated. If you would like to share your typical pad/pressure/speed settings for different applications that would be great! I'm interested to see everyone's process & technique.

(I now have some PO85RD in my arsenal, but haven't used it yet)

Thank you in advance!

Seems to me like you got your head on pretty good with your process. Everything you said about speed, pressure etc is exactly my process (even the way your describing one steps).

When doing that 'final polishing' try doing a gentle 'on the fly' pad cleaning more often. Sometimes you can pick up just a tiny piece of something that can/could scratch.

Bill

^Sounds like great advice - I know I need to clean my pads more often throughout the entire polishing process to be honest.

Thanks!

I've always used a lc white pad when using 205 on speed 4-5(I've noticed for some reason the white pads vary in density so I use the softer ones when I can). I work it in with medium pressure first then lighten up at the end. 205 has decent cut compared to most finishing polishes and I've never had any marring from my process plus it still finishes very nice. 85rd I use with a black/blue pad on speed 5 or so with little pressure.

With a PC I rareely run it over speed 5. Too much vibration to feel comfortable. For cut I use LC yellow or white pad. For polish almost exclusively a white at speed 4-5. For wax a black and sealant a red at speed 3-4.

Your process seems fine. I use a pad washer after each panel or swithch to an unused pad.

Back