PDA

View Full Version : Reappearing smudges from WG DGLS

Bull Moose
11-21-2012, 12:07 PM
I recently applied some Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal to a recently detailed black car. I've used UPGP before on a lighter color (grey) with excellent results, but this is my first time applying the WG version and the first time on black paint. I used sparingly like the Ultima, with the only difference being applying one spray per panel directly to the panel per WG instructions, rather than directly on the applicator. I noticed that where it was sprayed inevitably received more product notwithstanding my efforts to spread it quickly and evenly. This stuff flashed quickly!

So now that it has cured, I keep getting these smudge marks that reappear after an hour or so after wiping with a microfiber. Presumably these are areas that got over application despite my best efforts. I don't have pictures yet because I'm away from home right now and wanted to get a jump on this issue on the forum. Now it seems that some QD has helped, but under the bright lights, some amount appears to come back. I would hate to have to strip this off and start over. I was wondering if you or anyone has experienced this and what you did to correct it.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Bigbull2984
11-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I recently applied some Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal to a recently detailed black car. I've used UPGP before on a lighter color (grey) with excellent results, but this is my first time applying the WG version and the first time on black paint. I used sparingly like the Ultima, with the only difference being applying one spray per panel directly to the panel per WG instructions, rather than directly on the applicator. I noticed that where it was sprayed inevitably received more product notwithstanding my efforts to spread it quickly and evenly. This stuff flashed quickly!

So now that it has cured, I keep getting these smudge marks that reappear after an hour or so after wiping with a microfiber. Presumably these are areas that got over application despite my best efforts. I don't have pictures yet because I'm away from home right now and wanted to get a jump on this issue on the forum. Now it seems that some QD has helped, but under the bright lights, some amount appears to come back. I would hate to have to strip this off and start over. I was wondering if you or anyone has experienced this and what you did to correct it.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Its over application, If its only been one hour I would stick with the QD and buff out. If that outdoes work use a waterless wash. I have the same thing happen to me after using BFCS, and WGDGLS.

Bull Moose
11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks. I gave the waterless wash a try a little while ago, but still a trace reappearing. Perhaps another round of waterless wash (might be some residue). I'm thinking I might be stuck having to use a paint cleaner and reapply. If anyone has any other suggestions, they would be appreciated. This is frustrating!

Bigbull2984
11-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Thanks. I gave the waterless wash a try a little while ago, but still a trace reappearing. Perhaps another round of waterless wash (might be some residue). I'm thinking I might be stuck having to use a paint cleaner and reapply. If anyone has any other suggestions, they would be appreciated. This is frustrating!

Hmm weird.... that should have taken care of it. Do you have any Duragloss 501? or a paint cleaner?

Clean spot again with waterless, and use one of these then reapply the Wolfgang.

swanicyouth
11-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I put that stuff on my black BMW and it worked awesome, and I'm pretty picky about a smeary appearance, as I notice it with other products. However, that stuff does flash super quick. I found you should work with 1.5 sprays max at a time. Once its down, start spreading quick! Also, a large applicator helps, as you can cover more area faster.

I found these LC applicators work best:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/22/u9ahu2uv.jpg

Best way to fix it IMHO is a second coat, as more product should help level what's there

Bull Moose
11-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the perspective. I'm going to give the waterless wash one more try and then will decide between paint cleaner in the trouble spots (WG or P21s) with reapplication or try another layer very sparingly applied. Funny thing is, you can only really see these spots under bright light, such as with my Brinkman Xenon.

addysdaddy
11-21-2012, 03:12 PM
hmmm, if it's happening to me I can't see it on silver or white paint. Sorry your suffering but black is so unforgiving. But the good news is once u have the method, it wll work great on all colors. Sometimes I take a tight napped mf towel instead of the blue mf applicator. Not sure that makes a difference but both the WG & BF versions go on real easy for me.

TroyScherer
11-21-2012, 05:28 PM
I agre with the other with over application. I would wait a few hours then buff any spots and wait again. Using a waterless wash in the first few hours could mess with the curing process.

I would then do a second coat, but spray the applicator and not the paint. I know the directions call for spraying it on paint and I have done so. But sometimes spraying the applicator works better and is just necessary.

Also here is a link to my review and video using it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/57154-product-review-wolfgang-deep-gloss-liquid-seal.html

RMM
11-22-2012, 10:00 AM
I used WGDGLS a couple of times and everything went smooth.
Different from your process, I applied the product to the MF applicator instead of directly to the paint (as per Nick's advice). And only one spray per small panel and two for large panels (I initially primed the applicator with one spray).
How did you prepare the paint for the application?

Bull Moose
11-22-2012, 11:03 AM
How did you prepare the paint for the application?

Wash, IronX, extra rinse, clay, finish polish with Menzerna PO85rd and an IPA/water wipedown. It was a very clean surface. I think I'm just dealing with a few high spots that have now been "pushed around" a bit by the waterless wash. The question is whether I can eventually level/blend them or start over. It's just a few spots. I think I'm going to use this opportunity to test. Before I resort to a paint cleaner to redo, I'm going to try to apply some WGDGPS over it and see what that looks like. The thing with black paint is it always shows the slightest smudge under bright light and it drives me nuts!

Bull Moose
11-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Well, a layer of WGDGPS worked! High spots gone! Perhaps another layer of WGDGLS would have worked as well, but I can't help but think the foam applicator helped work it out. This sure as heck beats having to remove and reapply. Many thanks to all who replied with their advice.

Time to go. I think another tryptophan-induced nap is kicking in! Happy Thanksgiving.