PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Restore Kits

kirkatizer
11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Always wanted to be able to do this for people. Never had enough information about them to go grab one. Any brand recommendations? And most kits you just need a power drill?

richluu
11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Curious to know also. But it looks like the Diamondite Plastic Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-clear-plastic.html) has great reviews and so does the 3M I believe.

kirkatizer
11-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah I read the Diamondite reviews and looks good

baknforth101
11-25-2012, 08:31 PM
be honest, most people who do this everyday and do it professionally dont even use those "kits". they just hit the lens with some 1500 or 2000 grit (by hand, depending on the material of the lens and how bad of shape it is) then use compound and polish with a 3 inch pad and buffer. works very well. but i guess if you arent doing it on multiple cars each week it might make more sense to get the little kits with all the stuff you need to do a few cars. we charge $20 per lens. can do the same thing with taillights but usually dont need to sand, just compound and polish to a LIKE NEW look.

kirkatizer
11-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Yeah I don't have the knowledge to do that yet, or a car to try it on lol. I'm working towards it though!

baknforth101
11-25-2012, 09:41 PM
its extremely simple and straight forward if you just sand it by hand with 2000 grit (ive tried it wet and dry, no difference really). then hit it with whatever size rotary you have with medium compound then polish. works well and pretty low risk. just start with an old ford taurus or honda civic (these 2 models are well known for having heavily fogged headlights) and dont try it first on an Benz.

Inferno
11-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Out of all that I used I love the 3m Kit that's made for high speed drills. It has p500 and p800 grit discs, a trizact pad and a buffing pad. This is an aggressive kit meant for a high speed drill, but this will not just take off yellowing but will remove pits and small scratches as well, which Is what I was looking for. Autogeek sells it.

baknforth101
11-25-2012, 09:48 PM
i have used that kit in the past and do like it. just depends on how often you will use it cause they only give a few sanding discs so you can really only do like 2 cars.

Inferno
11-25-2012, 09:54 PM
i have used that kit in the past and do like it. just depends on how often you will use it cause they only give a few sanding discs so you can really only do like 2 cars.
For me the key was to fix the lights I had neglected, and then maintain them thereafter so I would never have to use it again. It's like $13 on Amazon.

93Mustang
11-25-2012, 10:11 PM
I recently used the Meg's heavy duty kit. It's enough for two vehicles and I have tried a few OTC products, but this has worked the best!

Colinpd137
11-26-2012, 01:39 AM
I ordered Diamondite Professional Clear Plastic Kit for Headlight Lenses, Diamondite headlight polishing kit, professional headlight repair (http://www.autogeek.net/clear-plastic-pro-kit.html) on friday, ill be writing a review on it if ya'll are interested :) Has enough to do 25 sets of headlights (give or take)

EPA7
11-26-2012, 04:03 AM
+1 for The 3M kit. It'll be interesting to see how you like the Diamondite kit.

car nut
11-26-2012, 04:45 AM
I have used both Meg's heavy duty and the Diamondite kit. I prefer the diamondite kit it seem's to work better.and there is no sanding involved.You can also sand polish without the kit and protect the lights when you are satisfied with spar varnish.