Rusty bottom?

jjj

Reaction score
Ok know the title sounds dirty, but serious question. I was detailing my waifs ride and was never dulling the tail pipe and noticed several rusty bolts. They looked like something off the titanic.! It's a 2004. It only has 55k on her got her knew and she is pampered. The armada and the wife! I was wondering if anyone has ideas on cleaning and preventing this. Thanks

Ok know the title sounds dirty, but serious question. I was detailing my waifs ride and was never dulling the tail pipe and noticed several rusty bolts. They looked like something off the titanic.! It's a 2004. It only has 55k on her got her knew and she is pampered. The armada and the wife! I was wondering if anyone has ideas on cleaning and preventing this. Thanks

If they use salt on your local roads during winter...thats part of the cause

krown rustproofing is the best IMO. i think it is the same as rustcheck in USA.

i had some rust on a 96 ram that i bought in 2001..under the driver door. hit it with Krown every year, and the rust never got any worse...

My chevy has rust all over the place, 2001 with 56k miles lol. My mother's dodge caravan is a 2005 with 89k and is already bubbling up on the bottom of the doors and by the rear wheel wells. I guess thats what you get when you live in the north like me. I recommend por-15 for already rusty underbodies and Fluid Film as a yearly spray for non rusty underbodies.

Some one chime in here... I know there is a spray coating you can buy in aerosol form that is sort of like a waxy protectant that doubles as a under carriage detailer to protect the underside from rust. I cannot remember the name but I have seen it on other forums

Believe it or not a lot of this heavy corrosion is due to the crap metal the bolts are made from. Have you ever noticed that one part looks like it's been on the sea bed for 100 years and another is simply just rusted?

Spray cosmoline is widely available and should minimize this....:props:

One specifically that comes to mind is Boeshield T-9®...

krown rustproofing is the best IMO. i think it is the same as rustcheck in USA.

i had some rust on a 96 ram that i bought in 2001..under the driver door. hit it with Krown every year, and the rust never got any worse...
Sadly, great products like Krown and Rust Check are hard to find in the US. Because of that, I use Fluid Film.

Boeshield is a good product but doesn't last, wears away too quickly. Used it on MotoX bikes a lot and worked quite well.
Undercarriage, rust never sleeps (great album by Niel Young)
In the 70's most cars from overseas were covered in cosmoline for protection from the elements. Needed to use a steam wand to remove.
I might check into Fluid Film, thanks for the idea.

Interesting, Krown Rust Control - An American in Canada - Bob Is The Oil Guy
Wonder if this could be an added feature for pro detailers now as Ziebart and Rusty Jones were popular a looooong time ago?

Last edited:
Back