PDA

View Full Version : Rim care

rddmxmeth10
12-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I just bought a new set of rims for my truck. They are dale earnhardt Jr ribelles if you want to look up the specs on them. When I bought the rims, the salesman told me that they are not actually chrome, but pvd? He said its like a powder coating because chrome will weather quickly. Anybody have any ideas of what I could use to clean/protect them? Thanks!

primo spaghetti
12-03-2012, 08:32 AM
sharp looking wheels steve..

id treat them to OC 2.0 before you mount anything on them...

here is one of the videos i found (not mine) with a youtube search.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch0itUNYZy0]Cleaning Wheels Coated with Optimim Opti-Guard Deep Gloss Au - YouTube[/video]

rddmxmeth10
12-03-2012, 11:04 AM
sharp looking wheels steve..

id treat them to OC 2.0 before you mount anything on them...

here is one of the videos i found (not mine) with a youtube search.

Cleaning Wheels Coated with Optimim Opti-Guard Deep Gloss Au - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch0itUNYZy0)

Thanks! Yes, they are very nice looking. I put some Nitto Terra Grappler rubber on it along with them, 295/60/20 is the size. It is pretty mean looking now. I was debating on the chrome or the polished aluminum/black, but decided on the chrome (or PVD). I don't have any OC and the wheels have already been mounted. Would a normal car wax hold up for the winter? Or would that be pointless? I know there are dedicated wheel sealants like Poorboy's and other brands, just looking for some guidance. On another note, anyone have any idea what PVD actually is? The guy said it is in line with a powder coating. Thanks for any input ladies and gentlemen!

cartman57
12-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks! Yes, they are very nice looking. I put some Nitto Terra Grappler rubber on it along with them, 295/60/20 is the size. It is pretty mean looking now. I was debating on the chrome or the polished aluminum/black, but decided on the chrome (or PVD). I don't have any OC and the wheels have already been mounted. Would a normal car wax hold up for the winter? Or would that be pointless? I know there are dedicated wheel sealants like Poorboy's and other brands, just looking for some guidance. On another note, anyone have any idea what PVD actually is? The guy said it is in line with a powder coating. Thanks for any input ladies and gentlemen!

About PVD Coating (http://www.pvdcoatings.net/About_PVD_Coating/about_pvd_coating.html)

Interesting process for treating metals.

rddmxmeth10
12-03-2012, 12:02 PM
About PVD Coating (http://www.pvdcoatings.net/About_PVD_Coating/about_pvd_coating.html)

Interesting process for treating metals.

Interesting is right! Any idea of the type of care for this?

cartman57
12-03-2012, 12:10 PM
^ no idea! Might be too new of a process to figure anything out yet to see what works without damaging the coating material (0.25-0.30 microns thick!).
Maybe some will help out. OC 2.0?

rddmxmeth10
12-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the responses gentleman. I guess that the only opinion is OC. I don't really want to use this product as it has a learning curve to it, and I don't want to experiment on my $3,200 rims and tires. I guess I'll just slap some good ol' wax on em' and see what that does. Couldn't hurt? If anyone else has some opinions, feel free to continue to chime in! Thanks again!

primo spaghetti
12-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the responses gentleman. I guess that the only opinion is OC. I don't really want to use this product as it has a learning curve to it, and I don't want to experiment on my $3,200 rims and tires. I guess I'll just slap some good ol' wax on em' and see what that does. Couldn't hurt? If anyone else has some opinions, feel free to continue to chime in! Thanks again!

wax is fine...maybe look to col 845...good product.

but oc is really easy to use...just follow the instructions...dont fear the OC!

ScottB
12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Gtechniq Wheel Armor .... easy to use with great glossy results !

forrest@mothers
12-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Contact the wheel manufacturer and get their recommendations (in writing just in case there's a problem down the road).

Twister
12-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Those wheels look really good. I would OC them. It's not hard at all and it will make the wheels a breeze to clean. I actually used my wheels as practice before doing a car. It went really smooth.

If you aren't interested in that then I would use a durable product like 845.

rddmxmeth10
12-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Gtechniq Wheel Armor .... easy to use with great glossy results !

I think I might pick some of this up. I have been wanting to try some of their products. Any videos on how to apply? Or is it pretty much use it sparingly and just wipe it on? Thanks!

rddmxmeth10
12-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Contact the wheel manufacturer and get their recommendations (in writing just in case there's a problem down the road).

Good idea! Maybe I will try and do that tonight! Thanks!

Those wheels look really good. I would OC them. It's not hard at all and it will make the wheels a breeze to clean. I actually used my wheels as practice before doing a car. It went really smooth.

If you aren't interested in that then I would use a durable product like 845.

Thanks for the compliment! I think I might try some Gtechniq. It looks like a pretty durable product!

Thanks for all the responses!