Big Trouble!

danponjican

Reaction score
I know that some of you have been here... you're wet sanding and don't realize how thin the paint is and the unthinkable happens. You see primer! At first I thought this couldn't be but as you see... it got even worse when I tried to compound it out. What are my options here guys?! Please don't tell me I am looking at repainting the whole hood.

IMG_9240-vi.jpg

IMG_9246-vi.jpg

Thanks... I hope.

I'm no body tech, but that looks like you went down to the bare..... is that hood fiberglass?

to do cheao and for now...just spot spray that spot....if you can paint that would be the best...and just color buff it to match...but nothing ellz you could really do sept repaint it

:eek: Remember, compounding removes clearcoat and paint. The more you compound it, the larger the primmer spot is going to get. I think you know what needs to be done. So dig down in that wallet and pull out 2-3 big ones and get it done. Think of it as a leason learned. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but I think you already knew it. There is no easy or cheap way out of this one.:(

Ya, our paint and clear is super thin, that is why I am really scared to wetsand anything. If you are talented enough, you can go to paintscratch.com and get a spray can of PBM and clear and respray/wetsand/buff the area yourself, or if you are anywhere in Florida, there is a body/speed shop in Tampa owned by a GTO owner. He does decent work for a good price. Of course I am sure any half decent shop could do that.

BTW, are you a member over on LS2GTO.com? If not, you should go check it out.

ouch, Craig is right though. Youre gonna have to bite the bullet and dish out a few hundred.

better on your car than a friend or customer's right?

I'm skeptical about products like those. Anyone have any experience with them?

Yikes, I'm just venturing out in wetsanding and it's fun and all but you have to be very cautious when wetsanding.

Sorry to hear about the booboo buddy. Well you got two options really:

1. Tuch up paint and then put a cleat coat over it. Ofcourse do a really good job with the tuch up paint. Toto did this too and he used tuch up paint, looked good at the end.

2. Is to get it repainted. I'm surprised it's so think? I guess all paints are different and who knows how much paint you got.

Well those are just my thoughts nothing else.

Thank you for sharing though. Now that I'm wetsanding and using my rotary more I'm ordering a paint gauge.

Man, a paint gauge would have definitely been worth it in this case.

Yeah, I think a paint gauge is a must especially if you are a NEWB like me who got P3WNED by this GTO (LOL, excuse the frustrated forum vernacular).

IMHO, any man that sands his car to get that smooth, no orange peal, wet look. Isn't going to like touch up kit repair. This isn't like a rock chip, a small hole you can fill with paint and put some clear on. This is a larger area down to the primmer. Looks to me to be just a little smaller than the "O", in the GTO emblem. The area around the primmer is most likely very thin now also, and in a bad place, the front edge of the hood. The whole front of any vehicle takes a beating from everything. That could be a area for clear coat to fail in the future because it's so thin. This man is after perfection, not "that's good enough". Everyone here knows what I mean, that one spot that drives you crazy:mad: , that you seem to focus on anytime you look the vehicle over. Your friends say, where?, :confused: that little spot, you can hardly see it. That wont hurt anything. You know it's there and you want it fixed. As far as someone doing a spot repair with a airbrush. I myself have a couple airbrushes,
I can paint. I'm no pro but I know a little. Beleive it or not, black is a hard one to do spot repair. The black on the GTO doesn't look like it has any metallic, but metallic repair will show unless you paint the whole panel. Even then, sometimes at the right angle and light you can see the repair, like it's a different color. I think, (just me talking) this will drive danponjican nuts untill it's repaired and looks perfect. Everytime you walk by the Goat you look at that spot thinking, how? Do yourself a favor, have the whole hood sprayed and be done with it. It's not worth the sleepless nights thinking about it.

I had the entire hood repainted and re-clearcoated on my wife's Explorer at a reputable place in town here, cost me a little under $300.

Sounds right. I gave $200.00, had a dent on my hood from a tree branch. Looked like a parking lot door bumped it. Repaired the dent, respayed base and clear coat, new hood emblem. That's been around two years ago. This is no dent repair, just sand and respray. I don't think it's going to be bad.

most dealerships outsource guys who can airbrush little spots like that...give your local dealer a call and see who they use..

Man I'm sorry to here that, I hate that for you. No You don't need to repaint the whole hood. orngez right, most dealerships has some one come around and fix stuff like that.

Back