PDA

View Full Version : windshield haze, help

dinosaur1
12-22-2012, 05:52 PM
I used to use Rain X but it made a rock chip even worse. Once in a while I will use Meguiars Ultimate Quix Wax, but it's not too effective. I'm looking for something that will not harm the windshield, but will provide me a better way to look out of my windshield when it's raining or snowing.

I frequently change my wiper blades (Always buy Anco 31), and I keep my '05 Highlander very clean. When it rains the driver's and passenger's side look hazy on the outside almost to a point where its hard to see out. The weird part is its crystal clear in the middle.

Any help is appreciated.

dpk20x
12-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Grab some aquapel. Pretty sure it's on bogo right now

dinosaur1
12-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Grab some aquapel. Pretty sure it's on bogo right now

After my Rain X experience where it made my rock chip 10 times worse I really want to stay away from anything like that. Not sure how Aquapel compares to it, but a local window shop told me it's best to stay away from anything that has chemicals on the windshield. I'm just trying to figure out some of my windshield is hazy while the middle is crystal clear. You would think if there's something on the windshield that makes it haze, it would be on the entire windshield.

swanicyouth
12-22-2012, 06:31 PM
How did RainX make a rock chip worse?

Have you tried claying, then polishing the glass to remove any bonded contaminants?

I don't think your problem lies in your product choice. I think you may have one of the following or a combination of the following:

1. Glass has bonded contaminants.

2. Glass is "hazed" from scratches

3. RainX was over applied or not completely buffed clear.

KillaCam
12-22-2012, 06:32 PM
I would clay the windshield, then if there are water spots polish it.

After that seal it with either aquapel or collinite 845. Works like a charm for me.

dinosaur1
12-22-2012, 06:40 PM
:nomore:
How did RainX make a rock chip worse?

Have you tried claying, then polishing the glass to remove any bonded contaminants?

I don't think your problem lies in your product choice. I think you may have one of the following or a combination of the following:

1. Glass has bonded contaminants.

2. Glass is "hazed" from scratches

3. RainX was over applied or not completely buffed clear.

Actually my windshield was replaced this past summer by a very well known company. They explained that I should not allow Rain X to come close to the windshield if there is the slightest rock chip (or even without one), period. He has been in the business for over 30 years.
The only things I have used on my windshield after it's cleand and dry is Meguiar's UQW. I have not clayed it in a while and have never used Rain X on it.

Here's my next issue. I live in WI where it is currently in the 30's. What would be the best way of claying in this frigid weather?

dinosaur1
12-22-2012, 06:41 PM
I would clay the windshield, then if there are water spots polish it.

After that seal it with either aquapel or collinite 845. Works like a charm for me.

What should I spray on the windshield while claying, is Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer ok? Can I do it while the weather is in the 30's in my garage?

wukin
12-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Once you apply rain x or any other brand on the section, wipe with second damp cloth again then finally dry with the third cloth.

AutowerxDetailing
12-22-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm not understanding how Rain-X or any other similar product would make a rock chip worse. What am I missing???

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

dinosaur1
12-22-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm not understanding how Rain-X or any other similar product would make a rock chip worse. What am I missing???

I will try to be more clear. I visited a window repair shop to get a rock chip fixed. The technician told me that if I used rain x on the glass he could not guarantee the best job. He stated that rain x makes repairs difficult so, he did not recommend using rain x just for that reason. It has something to do with the chemical prep before filling the rock chip. It is a chemical thing... sorry if I was not clear on the statement.

swanicyouth
12-22-2012, 07:06 PM
:nomore:

Actually my windshield was replaced this past summer by a very well known company. They explained that I should not allow Rain X to come close to the windshield if there is the slightest rock chip (or even without one), period. He has been in the business for over 30 years.
The only things I have used on my windshield after it's cleand and dry is Meguiar's UQW. I have not clayed it in a while and have never used Rain X on it.

Here's my next issue. I live in WI where it is currently in the 30's. What would be the best way of claying in this frigid weather?

Run the front defogger as hot as it will go when the car is warm to help warm the glass. You could probably also keep an insulated mug of hot water to drop the clay in to soften it if it gets too hard, although I never tried it.

After that I would use a glass (or paint) polish to completely strip everything off the glass, followed by an IPA wipe-down, to see exactly what the issue is with the glass.

If there is scratches causing the haze, you can remove them with different products. But, because the glass is fairly new, clay and a mold paint or glass polish should take care of it.

Are the defects / hazing in an outside pattern that follows the wipers sweep pattern?

AutowerxDetailing
12-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Oooooh, I get it. Yes, that makes sense. I can see it messing with the chemical bonding process of the glass repair resin.

dinosaur1
12-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Run the front defogger as hot as it will go when the car is warm to help warm the glass. You could probably also keep an insulated mug of hot water to drop the clay in to soften it if it gets too hard, although I never tried it.

After that I would use a glass (or paint) polish to completely strip everything off the glass, followed by an IPA wipe-down, to see exactly what the issue is with the glass.

If there is scratches causing the haze, you can remove them with different products. But, because the glass is fairly new, clay and a mold paint or glass polish should take care of it.

Are the defects / hazing in an outside pattern that follows the wipers sweep pattern?

Last week it was warmer in the 40's. When it was raining the windshield looked clear in the middle. When the wipers went left to right it caused the haze on the driver's and passenger's side making it very hard to see straight.

By the way what do you mean by IPA? And what, other then the hot water, should I use while claying?

07gtcs
12-22-2012, 10:30 PM
I had hazing of my windshield too this year, and visited my local detailer and asked there trick. Chrome polish...put on,let haze, wipe off with a good MF towel. Beads well and no streaks or hazing.

BillE
12-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Mods: If this is a no-no, go ahead and delete.

Try using "No Touch Auto Glass Stripper." Part number: GS8. Sould be available at most auto parts stores.

It is MESSY, but it works. It will remove all the 'yuk'.

My $.02.

Bill