PDA

View Full Version : Clean up stitching on Leather Steering Wheel?

Sa//|XP
05-03-2007, 10:28 AM
The stitching on my 2001 BMW M3 is supposed to be blue and red, to match the ///M symbol, but over time, the thread has pretty much become black (or a really dark red and a really, really dark blue).
What product would you recommend to clean these up and bring the colors back, that wouldn't harm the leather?

greg'sgoat
05-03-2007, 10:38 AM
I would say DP total interior cleaner. It brought the red stitching on my wheel from black to red. It is still a little dark, by I havn't really worked at it. However, I did work at the red stitching on my shift knob, and it took car of that no problem.

Totoland Mach
05-03-2007, 04:47 PM
I "wash" every Bimmer that comes through the shop for reconditioning. I use the following method:

1. Warm water with diluted mild dishwashing liquid (currently use Ajax liquid)
2. Boar's hair brush
3. Terry Cloth towel
4. Compressed air nozzle

I gently scrub the wheel with the dishwashing solution using the Boar's hair brush and immediately wipe with a terry towel. Then, use the air nozzle to dry switches and the wheel. You could use a shop vac in place of the compressed air...the main thing is to get any residual moisture out of switches.

Simple, easy, and removes human oils that are on the wheel, leaving an "as new" wheel.

Toto

sparkie
05-04-2007, 04:49 AM
I "wash" every Bimmer that comes through the shop for reconditioning. I use the following method:

1. Warm water with diluted mild dishwashing liquid (currently use Ajax liquid)
2. Boar's hair brush
3. Terry Cloth towel
4. Compressed air nozzle

I gently scrub the wheel with the dishwashing solution using the Boar's hair brush and immediately wipe with a terry towel. Then, use the air nozzle to dry switches and the wheel. You could use a shop vac in place of the compressed air...the main thing is to get any residual moisture out of switches.

Simple, easy, and removes human oils that are on the wheel, leaving an "as new" wheel.

Toto
What is your dilutions for dishwashing liquid and water?

Totoland Mach
05-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Sparkie: I'd estimate a 10 part water to 1 part liquid soap. Using the boar's hair brush, it generates a small amount of suds for cleaning.

Toto

sparkie
05-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Sparkie: I'd estimate a 10 part water to 1 part liquid soap. Using the boar's hair brush, it generates a small amount of suds for cleaning.

Toto
Thank you, I would like to give that a try. I eat up magic eraser on steering wheel.

Sa//|XP
05-05-2007, 09:13 PM
I found some Tanner's Preserve leather cleaner I had sitting around and decided to give it a try. Definitely made a HUGE difference! I only let it sit for a few seconds, though. I might give it a second go, and let it sit for a minute or so.

njgolfer
05-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Magi Eraser does it for me, but between doing a door handle, steering wheel, shift and parking break, that is all one pad will do.

D
05-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I would def go with what Toto said to do, hes the expert. But another recommendation for DP.