PDA

View Full Version : Fast Acting Bird Poo?

volrus
01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Here's the story; I went through the following process the weekend before last on my 2008 Lexus ES 350 (charcoal):

1) Washed with CG Citrus
2) Clayed with Pinnacle Poly Clay
3) Polished with Megs 205 (I'm still afraid of 105 being a new guy)
4) Sealed with BF Wet Diamond

Car looked great after this process.

The next weekend (this past weekend) on Saturday my car got bombed by a bird on the trunk and left side of the rear bumper. I washed the car on Sunday with CG Glossworkz. Dried the car. Went back outside to apply tire gel and noticed that where the bird sh!# was, it had taken all the sealant off and you could see where it hit! You can run your finger across it and your finger will grab where the sealant is gone. Does this typically happen this quickly? It was less than 24 hours after the poop that I washed it.

EddieF
01-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Other than an automatic car wash and an idiot with a brillo pad, bird crap is the worst for your paint. I carry around PB Bird sh#t remover, its awesome!

CM8 6MT
01-22-2013, 10:33 PM
About as nasty as it sounds, not all "bird poop" is the same. It depends on the species of bird that bombed your car.

Not sure about you guys, but here in Northern California I can have a bird bomb my car, not do anything about it for a day or two, and wipe off clean with no etching with a little QD. Depends alot on your LSP too :)

volrus
01-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I've left it on a car for far longer than this and didn't have an issue. Must be some sort of test tube species.

Jrocket
01-22-2013, 10:39 PM
for teh bird poo

I usually use Meguiar's Quick Detailer

and now

Optimum No Rinse in a spray bottle.

I remove the same day I notice it.. can't stand driving around w/ bird shiz on my car especially if its on the windshield for some reason it make me feel like an idiot driving around with it plastered where my face is pointed

though the PB Bird sh#t remover has peaked my Interest

CM8 6MT
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
though the PB Bird sh#t remover has peaked my Interest

Does this product have any other intended purposes? Seems like its just QD relabeled. Thats like getting a bottle of QD and renaming it as "light dust remover/cleaner"

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Does this product have any other intended purposes? Seems like its just QD relabeled. Thats like getting a bottle of QD and renaming it as "light dust remover/cleaner"

The original years ago was supposed to be a more concentrated version of Spray n' Wipe, the first(?) waterless wash.

Jrocket
01-22-2013, 10:58 PM

Ya know after looking at it .. it does seem like a renamed QD..

Setec Astronomy
01-22-2013, 11:03 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/30535-how-long-does-take-bird-dropping-etch-paint.html

BrutalNoodle
01-22-2013, 11:32 PM

Having sampled BSR, I can honestly say it works as advertised, but so does UWW+. It's more of a novelty item to me.

CM8 6MT
01-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Having sampled BSR, I can honestly say it works as advertised, but so does UWW+. It's more of a novelty item to me.

Indeed, I might get one just to have on display LOL!

umi000
01-24-2013, 04:38 AM
Here's the story; I went through the following process the weekend before last on my 2008 Lexus ES 350 (charcoal):

1) Washed with CG Citrus
2) Clayed with Pinnacle Poly Clay
3) Polished with Megs 205 (I'm still afraid of 105 being a new guy)
4) Sealed with BF Wet Diamond

Car looked great after this process.

The next weekend (this past weekend) on Saturday my car got bombed by a bird on the trunk and left side of the rear bumper. I washed the car on Sunday with CG Glossworkz. Dried the car. Went back outside to apply tire gel and noticed that where the bird sh!# was, it had taken all the sealant off and you could see where it hit! You can run your finger across it and your finger will grab where the sealant is gone. Does this typically happen this quickly? It was less than 24 hours after the poop that I washed it.

Depends on the bird, what it ate, and the conditions at the time. I've had bird poo etch paint after sitting for half an hour (albeit on a warm hood, and in the noon time sun). It's why (like most people on here) I always keep waterless wash and MF towels in the car, for immediate removal of bird crap and tree sap.

Mike Phillips
01-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Went back outside to apply tire gel and noticed that where the bird sh!# was, it had taken all the sealant off and you could see where it hit! You can run your finger across it and your finger will grab where the sealant is gone.

Does this typically happen this quickly?

It was less than 24 hours after the poop that I washed it.

Yes, and thank you Mike for sharing the article on this topic...

How long does it take for a bird dropping to etch paint? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/30535-how-long-does-take-bird-dropping-etch-paint.html)

Another reason why it would be nice if car manufacturer's would put a little thicker coating of clear on their cars.

:dunno:

To the OP, be sure to read this article...

Two Types of Bird Dropping Etchings (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/24924-two-types-bird-dropping-etchings.html)

Both of the above articles can be found on my article list under this heading...

Bird Droppings

:)