Have I gone mad? Roller painting my Mercedes -Wetsand ?'s

Charleston

Reaction score
Yes, Yes you hear me right.

I am doing a Rustoleum $50 paint job on my project 1985 300D.

I have about 3 coats on and I am ready to wet sand to remove some orange peel

I am going to use 800 grit wet.

I have never wet sand anything in my life. I have a sanding block, and soaked sandpaper and a spray bottle.

How much pressure should I apply? Should I use the block, or a sponge wrapped in paper? Back and forth strokes?

Any tips/hints etc are greatly appreciated?

And yes I will post the finished project and a write up

Thanks guys.

Mikes hand sanding article confused me a bit

Do I use minimum pressure? Back and forth?

Any videos?

Thanks!

Excuse me but are u serous about painting this car with a roller?????

No you haven't and believe it or not I've seen worse.

Rustoleum paint is a soft enamel so you should let it dry for a month or so before you begin your quest.

I suspect wet sanding with 800 will be easy and straight forward. Use a rubber sanding block and plenty of water. Rustoleum will probably tend to gum up the paper so keep your eye on it and don't apply a lot of pressure.

I wouldn't use a rotary polisher to finish. A rotary tends to generate heat and heat will quickly soften the Rustoleum enamel causing it to move. A dual action polisher and something like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and an Orange foam pad to start and experiment from there.

Wait.... I must be dreaming.....
Coulda' swore I saw Mercedes, Rustoleum, paint roller and sanding all together. Whew, I gotta' get more sleep. :laughing:

Good on ya Charleston.

Back in the late 70's a buddy of mine and I painted a 65 Stingray with brushes. But that was with lacquer. Paint 3 coats, colorsand, paint 3 coats, colorsand, etc. It took about a month but after it was done and buffed the shine was so deep it looked like the car had been dipped in glass.

I agree with everything Bobby has said. Probably best to let it cure for a bit since it's Rustoleum enamel.

As for color sanding, you can use a sanding block but I always have preferred using a 3M rubber squeegee. They are thin and you can feel your work better than a sanding block. You can pick them up at an auto body supply for a couple dollars.

Don't use a sponge wrapped with paper. The idea is to knock down the high spots and a sponge tends to contour with the imperfections in the paint. Also, the pressure of your fingers/hand will make pressure points.

Hold your sponge in one hand against the body above where you are sanding so the water runs down the body where you are sanding. Sand a little then squeegee off the water. If you still have shiny spots, sand a little more, etc.

Cut your papers to the size you need and let them soak in water for a bit so they are good and flexible. In fact just leave a bunch in a bucket of water.

The good thing is, is that if you go through you can always throw on a little more paint and start over.

Can't wait to see some photographs.

Good on ya Charleston.

I agree with everything Bobby has said. Probably best to let it cure for a bit since it's Rustoleum enamel.

Can't wait to see some photographs.

+2

Got a feeling this will be pretty interesting.

IMG_0326.jpg

Teaser. Coat 4 done today. Wet sand tommorow and then another 2 coats.

I will do a full write up. Fingers crossed.

is that pic after wet sanding with 800? I found I had to go up to 2000 to get a nice finish

IMG_0326.jpg

Teaser. Coat 4 done today. Wet sand tommorow and then another 2 coats.

I will do a full write up. Fingers crossed.

Holly smokes, that's coming out great!! :props:

Don't share this with Mercedes Benz!! :LOL:

Isn't the windshield getting overspray?

overspray from a roller?

i have the rollers, paint and spirits, just nothing to try it on yet. though i believe theres a spare door at the shop i could test the technique on

Back