Leather seats

Kenadian

Reaction score
Hey, I just purchased an Explorer with the leather seats. Not ever having leather I was hoping I could get some tips and advice on keeping them looking new. Thanks.

Is the car brand new or new to you?

What condition is the leather currently in?

I'm guessing brand new.... If so at first all you need to do to maintain is wipe w/ a slightly damp microfiber cloth and then follow up w/ a dry microfiber cloth. Non linting microfiber.. invest in a few good MF towels

If leather is older I would suggest Using Leatherique Prisine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvinator oil

I use Leatherique on my Audi seats and it works awesome, that being said,I also live in Florida, so I'm able to roll up the windows and let it sit in the sun for 8hours, it works the best in warmer climates.

Based on someone elses post in another thread Im going to try out Meguiars D180 and D181 leather cleaners. One is a combo product and the other is just a cleaner, heard good things about them so you may want to consider them as a option too.

^ The above tips are good info. Keep them clean and conditioned.

Do not get discouraged when some creases or lines start to show up though, especially on the driver's seat. It is leather, and will develop worn spots - there's just nothing you can do about them unless you don't ever sit in the seat. *Note: I did not say "cracks" - cracks are a sign of dried up, improperly cared for leather.

Enjoy your new ride!

Hey, I just purchased an Explorer with the leather seats. Not ever having leather I was hoping I could get some tips and advice on keeping them looking new. Thanks.

Clean them very well, wipe them down with distilled water, and USA a protective coating type product that also has UV protection. The 3 I know of are CarPro Fabric & Leather, G Tech L1, and the new Meg's Leather Sealant set.

This will offer you the best protection. I would skip AIO type products and conventional "conditioners".

Clean them very well, wipe them down with distilled water, and USA a protective coating type product that also has UV protection. The 3 I know of are CarPro Fabric & Leather, G Tech L1, and the new Meg's Leather Sealant set.

This will offer you the best protection. I would skip AIO type products and conventional "conditioners".

Great Advice ^

I'm looking to pick up the GTECH L1 myself for my new leather as well as clients w/ new cars that want a leather treatment

Swanic not to hijack this thread but were you overall impressions w/ the carpro F & L?

I use Sonax leather cleaner and conditioner one of my go to products. Easy to use and all my customers love the way their sets Look.

I use Leatherique on my Audi seats and it works awesome, that being said,I also live in Florida, so I'm able to roll up the windows and let it sit in the sun for 8hours, it works the best in warmer climates.

+1

+2 just ordered some my seats are beggn for it big time. Next warm spell it's gonna be Leatherique bake time!

+1 for this advice. 95% of OEM leather is urethane coated and only needs to be kept clean (to stop abrasion from soil), hydrated and protected from UV. Oil based products will actually cause it to wear prematurely because they attract dirt and clog the pores that allow hydration.

During the warmer months I mist with distilled water monthly, wipe with a damp towel and let it air dry--during the winter every two or three months. Quarterly I apply Optimum Protectant Plus which is water based with no oils and includes UV screens. It's a great product as it is also good on vinyl so you don't have to switch products. Can do the entire interior in 20 minutes.

Been doing this since day one on my 07 Passat leather and vinyl and it is still like new.

Great Advice ^

I'm looking to pick up the GTECH L1 myself for my new leather as well as clients w/ new cars that want a leather treatment

Swanic not to hijack this thread but were you overall impressions w/ the carpro F & L?

Yes. A little goes way, you can control the gloss by buffing, and its very hydrophobic. L1 wins for matte look and satin feel, but CP F&L seems like a more substantial protectant.

+2 just ordered some my seats are beggn for it big time. Next warm spell it's gonna be Leatherique bake time!

:iagree:+3 leatherique did very well on some severely neglected tan leather in my 04 expedition. I'm waiting for it to get warm out to go over it again.

I use Gtech C6 on the leather. I bought it for use on interior trim where it gives a very very durable matte finish and then found it works very well on leather

Back