What to use to clean and enrich leather?

FMINUS

Reaction score
Right now I am using Lexol, does anyone have anything better?

FMINUS said:
Right now I am using Lexol, does anyone have anything better?

Good question........ive been struggling with my leathers/cleaners and protectors and would love something other than lexol...:confused: IVE TRIED MEGS GOLD CLASS RICH LEATHER CLEANER AND PROTECTOR.........its ok but not great....

Last edited:
For leather needing maintenance .... Leathrique. Its messy but a great product and rejuvinates leather.

I heard Leatherique is rediculously awesome. Personally, though, Pinnacle's Cleaner and the Conditioner are amazing. The cleaner is effective and the conditioner provides a matte, soft, and moist surface (moist isn't a good word... lol).

Pinnacle or DP leather cleaner. Im using 4* conditioner. Its decent I guess, dont have anything to compare it to.

I use turtle wax leather care or optimum protectant plus

For a good all in one, Optimum Protectant Plus is good...cleans, and conditions. I don't have a seperate cleaner since it does so well for me. Though I wouldn't mind some Pinnacle or DP leather cleaner.

BILL said:
Good question........ive been struggling with my leathers/cleaners and protectors and would love something other than lexol...:confused: IVE TRIED MEGS GOLD CLASS RICH LEATHER CLEANER AND PROTECTOR.........its ok but not great....
megs leather cleaner/conditioner is junk. You might wanna try some Pinnacle leather cleaner and conditioner (I suggest 2 step products), or some Wolfgang. You will be impressed. It's kinda pricey, but remember - you get what you pay for.

killrwheels@autogeek said:
For leather needing maintenance .... Leathrique. Its messy but a great product and rejuvinates leather.

Why is it messy? How does it compare to Lexol?

I haven't used Leathrique so i can't comment..I use 50/50 woolite and water to clean..I've tried a few leather conditioners like PBs,Megs cleaner/conditioner and Pinnacle being one that sticks out..It applies evenly without leaving the leather greasy with a nice matte finish ..it has hint of leather i wish would last more then a few days other then that used sparringly a little goes a long ways..

Last edited:
joe.p said:
I haven't used Leathrique so i can't comment..I use 50/50 woolite and water to clean..I've tried a few leather conditioners like PBs,Megs cleaner/conditioner and Pinnacle being one that sticks out..It applies evenly without leaving the leather greasy with a nice matte finish ..it has hint of leather that i wish would last more then a few days..

Do you just mix the woolite and water in a spray bottle? I use woolite in a bucket and pressurize some massive suds for carpets. Might have to try it for vinyl and leather too.

Nimble said:
Do you just mix the woolite and water in a spray bottle? I use woolite in a bucket and pressurize some massive suds for carpets. Might have to try it for vinyl and leather too.
Nimble i mix the woolite/water in a spray bottle..you can adjust the water to woolite ratio to cut back on the suds..after a good cleaning try and warm up the leather in the sun or let the heat run so the pores open up before conditioning

I've been using Wolfgang's leather cleaner and conditioner and that stuff rocks! :righton: Every detail I do the owner's just rave how supple the leather feeels, and the fresh leather smell it leaves is awesome. Those two products are a definite keeper in my arsenal.

Nimble said:
sorry i have to correct the ratios 10-1 water/woolite..

joe.p said:
Nimble i mix the woolite/water in a spray bottle..you can adjust the water to woolite ratio to cut back on the suds..after a good cleaning try and warm up the leather in the sun or let the heat run so the pores open up before conditioning

Won't the woolite just float to the top of the sprayer? I assume you shake it up before use to induce suds? How does it spray out? watery or sudsy?

Nimble said:
Won't the woolite just float to the top of the sprayer? I assume you shake it up before use to induce suds? How does it spray out? watery or sudsy?
yes the suds will appear on top of the bottle but it dosen't mean theres any less soap in the water..a lttle shake here there and its fine ..i just checked my spray bottle i have diluted 50/50 and sprays semi suds.if the leather is good condition use less woolite..

my seats where quite dirty so i used a combination of woolite with more then my share of magic erasers ..the erasers work well they just fall apart quite easily..

killrwheels@autogeek said:
ditto here. I use it on all my leather products. The seats in my mazda are kind of cheap coated leather, so leatherique is not used to its full potential. HOWEVER, on all my raw and nice leather, there is no other leather rejuvinator that i have tried that works as well as leatherique. belts, shoes, boots, seats, guitar straps.......it's all good.

FMINUS said:
Why is it messy? How does it compare to Lexol?
You start with rejuvenator oil. Apply it liberally with your hands. And let it sit for at least an hour.It will partially be absorbed into leather. Then you use their cleaner to remove any dirt/grime that rejuvenator oil brought to the surface. Oil is kinda sticky, but once cleaned, leather is fully brought up to life.
Leatherique is an overkill for new leather, but is a nice product to be used once/twice a year to fully rejuvenate leather.

supercharged said:
You start with rejuvenator oil. Apply it liberally with your hands. And let it sit for at least an hour.It will partially be absorbed into leather. Then you use their cleaner to remove any dirt/grime that rejuvenator oil brought to the surface. Oil is kinda sticky, but once cleaned, leather is fully brought up to life.
Leatherique is an overkill for new leather, but is a nice product to be used once/twice a year to fully rejuvenate leather.

I got a sample of Leatherique recently. I tried it out on my car's seats which are starting to look a little worn. I was not very impressed. I think Pinnacle Leather Conditioner works just as well if not better.

I would really like to try it out, but I dunno about dropping $80 for so many mixed reviews

Back