Anyone have any experience with this tape?

WRXINXS

Dec 5, 2011
Delaware
3M Masking Tape, Scotch Masking Tapes, 3M green masking tape, auto masking tape

Thinking of going with this to tape off before polishing. I know it got some negative reviews but I am still thinking of trying it out for myself.

I know Wal-Mart sells blue painters tape and green automotive tape and that most people on here prefer the green due to flexablilty to wrap it around curves and better sticking and possibly less residue.

I was just wondering how the green 3m tape at Wal-Mart compares to this tape at AG. Or are they the same exact tape?

Drew:xyxthumbs:

That 233+ is a premium tape, I doubt that is sold at Wal-Mart. It's a pro painting tape, not for house painting but for cars and other industrial applications. I use it, but it's expensive.

However, after reading this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...rence-between-meguiar-s-3m-masking-tapes.html I'm thinking maybe the Meg's tape is a better choice, it seems to be at a better price point than the 233+. Of course the 3/4 is out of stock here at AG, in fact it isn't even listed anymore.

That 233+ is a premium tape, I doubt that is sold at Wal-Mart. It's a pro painting tape, not for house painting but for cars and other industrial applications. I use it, but it's expensive.

However, after reading this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...rence-between-meguiar-s-3m-masking-tapes.html I'm thinking maybe the Meg's tape is a better choice, it seems to be at a better price point than the 233+. Of course the 3/4 is out of stock here at AG, in fact it isn't even listed anymore.

Setec,

I asked nick about the Meguiars 3/4" and he says it is no longer available at AG. I would think the 3M automotive tape that AG sells would be comparable with the Megs tape. When you used the AG 3M Green Auto tape did you have the same problem as those reviews were talking about about how it does not stick very well to a decontaminated surface and leaves residue and tears and leaves residue if hit by a buffer? I really would like to try it if you have had good luck with it.

Drew:xyxthumbs:

I use both the blue and the 3m Green. I use the blue on the bulk areas and the 3m on all the others. I haven't had an issue with the 3m

Drew,
This tape 3M Masking Tape, Scotch Masking Tapes, 3M green masking tape, auto masking tape that you mentioned in your opening thread will serve you just fine, generally. Sometimes you may not need, or want, its holding power and would prefer a more low tack tape like 3M orginal blue painters tape.

Yes, I can find 3M green auto tape available at about 4 local Wal-Marts, though they usually only have a few rolls. It's near the automotive bondos and other 3M automotive products. O'Riely's as well as Advanced Autoparts carry it also. It's usually cheaper here at AG when you catch it on sale. This is a fine tape, and aside from the regular brand of blue 3M tape (crtitical key words there) that can be found just about anywhere like Lowes, paint stores, Ace Hardware, etc., those are the only tapes that I use.

I haven't tried the Meguiar's tape yet, but if you'll pay close attention to the many photo's posted in articles by Mr. Phillips, he is using only 3 types of masking tape and some vynil tape. It appears he uses the Meguiar's tape (more recent since it came out) as well as plain ol' blue painters tape and then the green 3M Automotive tape you mentioned, and now some vynil tape. Please correct that if I'm mistaken, Mr. Phillips.

The green 3M automotive tape has served me well in what little detailing I've done, so has the original blue painters tape by 3M. The green sticks very well, and comes of easily.

The original blue will stick lightly and come off easily most often, but the ends can roll up on occasion that I've found. It doesn't like moisture and if left on over night with the dew falling on it, it will soften and become a nightmare to remove. Don't ask me how I know this, but I avoided (luckily) a potential disaster one morning and removed this tape before the frost melted. LOL! There are some substrates that I've found on cars/trucks where this tape has a bit of trouble sticking where you need it...some plastics, but it's generally a good tape.

I'm not sure what 3M's actual intent was for the 3M original blue painters tape. From my experience it does a horrible job at keeping paint from bleeding through, and I don't think that was it's intent at all. I tend to think that original blue painters masking tape was a 3M low tack, ease of removal alternative of the day, compared to standard brown masking tape that once applied could hardly be removed on things like walls, etc., and was mainly designed just to somewhat provide a contrast where paint line was to stop, which it doesn't do well, imo. I also think that a better (compared to regular brown masking tape) paint "edge" by the blue tape was a byproduct of the different adhesive used in that tape. Of course, I'm just making an guestimation and have no actual proof of this from 3M.

For painting, and for a long time, all we've been offered was the original blue painters tape. That is until recently, and now 3M is offereing their Edge-loc line of tapes. These tapes were created specifically to create sharp paint lines on certain surfaces without any bleeding through of the paint. If you read about these tapes, their adhesive actually forms a "wall" at the edge of the tape where liquid makes contact with the glue. The way I understand it is that this glue and reaction quickly takes place and swells on contact with liquid to form and almost impenatrable barrier. These tapes are supposed to realeas easily. Perhaps on some surfaces they do, but I've tried them on paint and I will NOT be using them again. Below is a link as to why.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...warning-scotch-blue-edglock-tape-made-3m.html

Then there is Frog Tape, which if my memory serves me well enough, is supposed to act similarly to 3M's edge-loc. This tape can be found at Lowes, as well as other places. I have some, but I've yet to try it. Quite honestly, since I've had good luck with two of the same tapes that Mr. Phillips uses (3M origianl blue painters tape, 3M green automotive tape, Meguiar's) I'm going to stick with them, and then add the Meguiar's tapes to my arsenal and forget about the others. (Rustoleum makes an orange automotive tape also and it can be found at Wal-Mart near the auto/rv supplies. Never tried it.)

Aside from all of the above there are some tips to remember when using these tapes.

1. Mr. Phillips has an article on how to properly and carefully remove masking tape so as not to pull paint from the metal. It's just a precautionary, and it's a good one, imo.

2. Only when absolutely necessary will I ever completely tape off an entire car again. I've had too many problems (in a short time frame of detailing) where I had trouble removing tape, some could have been potential disasters and thank God I avoided them. I plan on only taping off what areas I am working on at the time because I mainly work outside. I think working conditions have a great effect on how tape does, or does not, come off.

3. I will only use fresh tape. I've had issues with tape that is more than 6-8 months old. I've made the comparisons to prove this to myself as well by comparing some old rolls with new rolls and I have noticed a difference. Whether anyone else has noticed this or not, I can't say. So, I don't my much tape in advance. Sure, I keep some on hand so I have it, but again, I don't further plan on fully taping a vehicle very often.

EDIT:
I only offer my thoughts and experiences for others to consider. I am in no way claiming to be a tape "guru". While I've used many, many rolls of tape in my days, by comaparison it's a small of amount compared to the many miles of tape that I'm sure others have used.

Last edited:
Hoytman,

Wow! That is alot of good info. I'm glad I found someone who had luck with the AG 3m auto tape. I think I will be giving the 3 pack a try. With Meguiars I though I heard somewhere that it does not have enough sticking power or comes off when hit by buffer (I'm not sure but I think I may have read this or something similar in a review) but I think I heard the same thing about 3m auto tape. There are alot of different opinions out there. I appreciate the help, and I think the 3m auto on AG or the Meguiars would both work very well for my application as well as the regular blue painters tape. For now I am going to go with the AG 3M 3pack. Mike Phillips had also mentioned this in a thread of mine: "Note: We now carry the blue vinyl tape here at Autogeek but I don't think it's on the store website yet. Customer Care can get it for you though."

Drew

You won't go wrong with any tape that Autogeek has for sale. Vynil tape has its advantages, for sure. One is its ability to stretch a bit and I can see it being nice to work with on curves and body lines. I actually have some of it, but I've yet to use it.

Also, if you do a search on youtube for 3M marine products, you'll run across a video where they use a yellow vynil tape on boats when detailing. I forget the numbers...hang on. Let me find it for you.

Here it is Scotch Plastic tape #471. It's at the time of 1:57 in the video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5kfYz9Ybw]3M Marine Professional Gelcoat Finishing System - YouTube[/video]

3M owns Meguirs, and I beleive that 3M makes the Meguirs tape. So- does does it really make a difference. Ask the seller.

What about it Auto Geek?

I have had more issues with the green tape lifting off when the polisher hits it compared to the blue.

Bunky were you using the regular Wal-Mart/home improvent store 3M green or the 3M automotive performance masking tape they sell on AG?

Certainly not trying to de-bunk Al's claim (sorry Al...I couldn't resist that one. :D), but while I've not had this happen often with the "green tape", in my case 3M green automotive tape, it can and has happened to me, but it's only when I'm working hard against the tape edge with a lot of liquid with a wool pad, or a cutting pad on a rotary and on gel-coat. From the moisture the tape edge can and will begin to break down, and I think that's to be expected with more than normal product use near the edge. It's important to know exactly which "green tape" someone is using as well. There are several brands of green tape on the market and they are NOT all equal.

The main thing to remember with either color of paper masking tape is that it's paper and it only has so much moisture repellancy, and only for a certain duration of time. Again, this is where I think vynil tape has an advantage, in moisture repellancy, allowing a greater time frime for the tape to remain on the surface while also being exposed to more than normal moisture.

Nothing is ever perfect so we just have to find out what we like and go with it. It's great to get perspectives, opinions, and experiences from other folks. I think that's what is so neat about a discussion forum like this. It's a great place to share ideas, knowledge, and experience.

Honestly, it's tape...like a band aide...its designed for temporary use. Any of the tapes AG sells is the best that there is to offer. That's as simple as it gets. Find a tape you like and use it...sparingly. LOL!! It get's expensive...but it beats cleaning up splatter later.

I buy my tapes from a body shop. It's 3M tape blue or green at thw owner of the shop but it by the case so the price is very low..............

Nice points made Bill!

Certainly not trying to de-bunk Al's claim (sorry Al...I couldn't resist that one. :D), but while I've not had this happen often with the "green tape", in my case 3M green automotive tape, it can and has happened to me, but it's only when I'm working hard against the tape edge with a lot of liquid with a wool pad, or a cutting pad on a rotary and on gel-coat. From the moisture the tape edge can and will begin to break down, and I think that's to be expected with more than normal product use near the edge. It's important to know exactly which "green tape" someone is using as well. There are several brands of green tape on the market and they are NOT all equal.

The main thing to remember with either color of paper masking tape is that it's paper and it only has so much moisture repellancy, and only for a certain duration of time. Again, this is where I think vynil tape has an advantage, in moisture repellancy, allowing a greater time frime for the tape to remain on the surface while also being exposed to more than normal moisture.

Nothing is ever perfect so we just have to find out what we like and go with it. It's great to get perspectives, opinions, and experiences from other folks. I think that's what is so neat about a discussion forum like this. It's a great place to share ideas, knowledge, and experience.

Honestly, it's tape...like a band aide...its designed for temporary use. Any of the tapes AG sells is the best that there is to offer. That's as simple as it gets. Find a tape you like and use it...sparingly. LOL!! It get's expensive...but it beats cleaning up splatter later.

If you plan on doing this for a living.... definitely buy in bulk. Buying a roll of tape here and there with every order doesn't make sense.

3M really makes a staggering number of tapes and masking tapes; there are many blue masking tapes for different applications. Since 3M now owns Meguiar's, I'm presuming the Meguiar's tape is tailored to the specific task of masking for detailing, rather than for painting, etc.