PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Boss 302 Mustang-Detailing Advice Needed

Pages : [1] 2

JM04Cobra
02-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Hello all,

I recently purchased a new 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302 and I am looking for advice on what products the experts here at Autogeek would recommend to use to get & keep the finish in tip-top shape.

A little background on the car itself, it was built in early October 2012 and I purchased it about a month ago from a dealer in Sterling Heights, MI (I'm in central KY) and the car has had some minor exposure to salt. I trailered the car home on an open trailer to keep the car from getting any damage prior to getting it home. Upon getting back home to KY, I gave the car a thorough cleaning inside and out, engine bay as well as underneath to remove any salt residue that may have gotten on it. I'm now satisfied with the cleanliness of the car and am now starting to look into what products to use to get the finish in great shape.

Although I am certainly not new to cleaning and detailing cars as this has been a passion of mine for quite some time, the Boss 302 is my first vehicle with stripes, so obviously I'll be looking for products to use that go on and dry clear.

So let me hear it guys, what would you recommend? Here are some pics of the Boss.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/K1Lightning/IMG_0184-1-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/K1Lightning/IMG_0188.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/K1Lightning/IMG_0194.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/K1Lightning/IMG_0195.jpg

vet
02-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Welcome!

Nice rides, both truck and Boss!

JonnyB
02-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Other then washing I wouldn't touch the stripes with any product. I know they were having issues with bubbles forming under the stripes when they were first produced and most were put on a hold at the factory until the issue was fixed. What I can't remember is if it was the Boss 302 or the LS Boss

VroomVroom
02-23-2013, 11:46 AM
NICE car. "Boss 302" and Grabber Blue go together better than chocolate and peanut butter. :) And I'm SO happy The Blue Oval is finally painting the O/S rearview mirrors. That car really is BOSS. Congratulations!

The best advice....read. Pour a good cup of coffee, have a seat, and do some scrolling and searching. Anything we say here is just going to be redundant to what has been covered already....even about the stripes.

Good luck, and have fun. That is just one sweet machine!

BobbyG
02-23-2013, 01:03 PM
:welcome: to Autogeek Online!!

Mike Phillips wrote a nice article on how to make that new car finish even better than new...:props:

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

oldmodman
02-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Congratulation on getting a great car, with the BEST color combo there is.

I see that you have already taken care of de-salting the car but I'll list it anyway.

First wash the car carefully, including the underside. You want to start out with a salt free surface. Be sure to get the door jams and underside of the doors too. If you have any Iron-X, now would be the time to use it. It will get rid of the rail dust that is most likely on the surface. Then clay the car. It probably has atmospheric residue on it that the iron-X won't eliminate.
Then just detail it as you would any nearly perfect condition surface. Now might be the time to "jewel' the paint before protecting the finish.
Have you decided what you want to use? A wax or an OptiCoat type of protection?

11PX1
02-24-2013, 06:10 AM
I've been using AquaWax on my Mach 1's hood and side stripes since 2004 with absolutely no ill effects. AW leaves no residue and you can spray it on all surfaces. No worries about the edges of your vinyl stripes.

On a side note, many Mach 1 owners seem to think the semi gloss black spoiler is unpainted plastic when in fact it is painted. I have polished and waxed and sealed mine several times and retained the semi gloss look. (I don't know if your spoiler is painted.)

AirVenture
02-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the world of Grabber Blue! I have a 2011 V6 in GB and love it. If you're on Facebook look up the group Grabber Blue Mustangs, which has over 100 members now.

I think my favorite shine combo that I've tried is the old school Klasse All In One followed by a few coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant. It seems to give a nice "hard candy" shine to it, as opposed wet and glossy.

KBsToy
02-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Congrats on the new ride. I just picked up a new 2013 Mustang GT Premium Candy Red for my 60th birthday. This is my toy so she`s a 6 speed.

I am following Mike`s article on new cars. Plus there is alot of good advice here on the forum.

Post some pics when she`s looking good..........

KBsToy
02-25-2013, 08:44 AM
doing window louvers then axleback mufflers. Don`t forget I turned 60 so I just want to let people hear me coming...

[attach]15923

JM04Cobra
03-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Welcome!

Nice rides, both truck and Boss!
Thanks vet! Looks like we have similar taste in trucks! My F150 towed the Boss back home to KY with no problem at all.

Other then washing I wouldn't touch the stripes with any product. I know they were having issues with bubbles forming under the stripes when they were first produced and most were put on a hold at the factory until the issue was fixed. What I can't remember is if it was the Boss 302 or the LS Boss
Thanks for the heads up JonnyB, this car was a fairly late build (#2390) so I hope all of the build issues were lined out before mine was built.

NICE car. "Boss 302" and Grabber Blue go together better than chocolate and peanut butter. :) And I'm SO happy The Blue Oval is finally painting the O/S rearview mirrors. That car really is BOSS. Congratulations!

The best advice....read. Pour a good cup of coffee, have a seat, and do some scrolling and searching. Anything we say here is just going to be redundant to what has been covered already....even about the stripes.

Good luck, and have fun. That is just one sweet machine!
Thanks Vroom! I have been a member here for a couple of years and have benefited from the knowledge that has been posted up by forum members already. I have a two year old son so my Autogeek browsing time has been reduced greatly though lately.

:welcome: to Autogeek Online!!

Mike Phillips wrote a nice article on how to make that new car finish even better than new...:props:

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html)

Thanks for the welcome BobbyG! I had already read Mike's thread once but I will re-read for a refresher.

Congratulation on getting a great car, with the BEST color combo there is.

I see that you have already taken care of de-salting the car but I'll list it anyway.

First wash the car carefully, including the underside. You want to start out with a salt free surface. Be sure to get the door jams and underside of the doors too. If you have any Iron-X, now would be the time to use it. It will get rid of the rail dust that is most likely on the surface. Then clay the car. It probably has atmospheric residue on it that the iron-X won't eliminate.
Then just detail it as you would any nearly perfect condition surface. Now might be the time to "jewel' the paint before protecting the finish.
Have you decided what you want to use? A wax or an OptiCoat type of protection?
Thanks oldmodman! I recognize your username from some Mustang web forums that I am a member of. I feel like I've done a pretty good job of cleaning any salt residue that may have gotten on the car but I may give the underside some more attention. Can't ever be too clean now can it.
I am going to have to do some research on Iron-X as I am not familiar with that product and get some before I do my surface preparation. Thanks for the tip! I will also look into "jewel"ing the paint as I am not familiar with it either. Just have to find some good time to sit down and do some research.

I've been using AquaWax on my Mach 1's hood and side stripes since 2004 with absolutely no ill effects. AW leaves no residue and you can spray it on all surfaces. No worries about the edges of your vinyl stripes.

On a side note, many Mach 1 owners seem to think the semi gloss black spoiler is unpainted plastic when in fact it is painted. I have polished and waxed and sealed mine several times and retained the semi gloss look. (I don't know if your spoiler is painted.)
Thanks for the tip on the Aquawax 11PX! Sounds like a great product.

Welcome to the world of Grabber Blue! I have a 2011 V6 in GB and love it. If you're on Facebook look up the group Grabber Blue Mustangs, which has over 100 members now.

I think my favorite shine combo that I've tried is the old school Klasse All In One followed by a few coats of Klasse High Gloss Sealant. It seems to give a nice "hard candy" shine to it, as opposed wet and glossy.
Thanks for the welcome Airventure! I will have to try the Klasse twins combo on my car as I did them on my F150 last fall and have been really impressed with the results. It is my DD and stays outside all of the time and has been holding up great over the winter.
Love the GB so far! The Boss replaced my black 2004 Cobra as my "toy" and so far it seems like it is going to require alot less maintenance to keep clean than black.

Congrats on the new ride. I just picked up a new 2013 Mustang GT Premium Candy Red for my 60th birthday. This is my toy so she`s a 6 speed.

I am following Mike`s article on new cars. Plus there is alot of good advice here on the forum.

Post some pics when she`s looking good..........

doing window louvers then axleback mufflers. Don`t forget I turned 60 so I just want to let people hear me coming...

[attach]15923
Love that red Candy GT KBsCTS and thanks for the welcome! The window louvers will look great, which axleback exhaust are you gonna get? I pulled the side exhaust discs out of mine the other day and have been pleased with it thus far. I'm sure I'll add an axleback somewhere down the road though.

KBsToy
03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks vet! Looks like we have similar taste in trucks! My F150 towed the Boss back home to KY with no problem at all.

Thanks for the heads up JonnyB, this car was a fairly late build (#2390) so I hope all of the build issues were lined out before mine was built.

Thanks Vroom! I have been a member here for a couple of years and have benefited from the knowledge that has been posted up by forum members already. I have a two year old son so my Autogeek browsing time has been reduced greatly though lately.

Thanks for the welcome BobbyG! I had already read Mike's thread once but I will re-read for a refresher.

Thanks oldmodman! I recognize your username from some Mustang web forums that I am a member of. I feel like I've done a pretty good job of cleaning any salt residue that may have gotten on the car but I may give the underside some more attention. Can't ever be too clean now can it.
I am going to have to do some research on Iron-X as I am not familiar with that product and get some before I do my surface preparation. Thanks for the tip! I will also look into "jewel"ing the paint as I am not familiar with it either. Just have to find some good time to sit down and do some research.

Thanks for the tip on the Aquawax 11PX! Sounds like a great product.

Thanks for the welcome Airventure! I will have to try the Klasse twins combo on my car as I did them on my F150 last fall and have been really impressed with the results. It is my DD and stays outside all of the time and has been holding up great over the winter.
Love the GB so far! The Boss replaced my black 2004 Cobra as my "toy" and so far it seems like it is going to require alot less maintenance to keep clean than black.

Love that red Candy GT KBsCTS and thanks for the welcome! The window louvers will look great, which axleback exhaust are you gonna get? I pulled the side exhaust discs out of mine the other day and have been pleased with it thus far. I'm sure I'll add an axleback somewhere down the road though.

GT 500`s from American Muscle. Listen to them on you tube. At stop light nice suble sound , jump on it and they sound great. Good for my 60 year old ears :dblthumb2:

JonnyB
03-02-2013, 11:51 AM

Yeah you should be fine. These issues were on some of the first production units. I think someone (who knows of it its true) said it was a chemical reaction from the water based paint and the adhesive on the stripes

killerwill13
03-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah you should be fine. These issues were on some of the first production units. I think someone (who knows of it its true) said it was a chemical reaction from the water based paint and the adhesive on the stripes

I have 2013 Boss 302 #399. And mine was held up due to the stripe issue. It was caused by the improper bonding to plastic by the 3m stripe.

Lim3
03-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I'm a camaro guy but my god ford did one hell of a job on the 302.
I love that car.