new guy with new truck....

oldschoolsdime9

Reaction score
I have a brand new black 2012 honda ridgeline RTS. shes black with black interior. As of now it has 610 miles on the clock. I have had black trucks prior , but they all came with previous owner installed swirl marks. I always used some products to mask them but, never had the know how to pursue correction. I don't have a polisher at this point in the game either.

What I am looking for is a good wax and sealer to use on my new truck. I am in ohio and with ohio's bi polar weather, I would like something that is going to be durable, yet still produce a good shine.

So my question is to you fine folks, if you had a brand new black canvas, what would you do to protect it?

Thanks guys!

IMG_0774_zpsaffcb38b.jpg

IMG_0779_zpsbe57637f.jpg

IMG_0775_zps7842d946.jpg

IMG_0772_zpsc3445d6c.jpg

I have added window tint and step bars and rear mud flaps...

E22AF2C8-DC8E-44B4-A157-3371A34BC922-3912-0000046588ED8A6B_zpsa7a039e3.jpg

Colinite #845 will be a good place to start to keep it protected.

In the mean time save up for all the tools needed to and equipment like pads and machine to do a nice spring clean up after the nasty weather disapears.

I would add some brand of clay kit, 2 buckets with grit guards, Korean made microfiber cloths.
All depends how obsessive you are with the finish on the new black Ridgeline!
Read some of the articles by Mike P and watch the videos, lots of info to help you keep it swirl free.
As smack mentioned, 845 is a good start, there are so many flavors of waxes available now.

I have a '13 Tux Black Raptor and am currently enjoying this forum favorite

Chemical Guys Forum Favorite Kit

Blacklight does contain micro abrasive and can do very minor correction on a DA with a white pad. Following the cure time, I put the Pete 53. And every time I wash the truck I apply the V7

I agree with the necessity of quality micro (korean), grit guard etc...

For the most durable protection I think I'd opt for Optimum Opti-Coat or CarPro CQuartz especially on a brand new vehicle....:props:

For the most durable protection I think I'd opt for Optimum Opti-Coat or CarPro CQuartz especially on a brand new vehicle....:props:

Dang it Bobby, you are not playing the game within the parameters set by the OP

......... but Bobby is right! :dblthumb2:

Only caveat is that you need to make the paint as perfect as you can before putting on this permanent coating. Not having the tools may make that process a little harder.:buffing:

And it'll take all the fun out of detailing!!

My Bad....:lol:

I would add some brand of clay kit, 2 buckets with grit guards, Korean made microfiber cloths.
All depends how obsessive you are with the finish on the new black Ridgeline!
Read some of the articles by Mike P and watch the videos, lots of info to help you keep it swirl free.
As smack mentioned, 845 is a good start, there are so many flavors of waxes available now.

I wondered about clay. I plan on the grit guards and two buckets. I am going to order some good microfiber in the next few days!

What is the permanent stuff bobby spoke of?

Thanks ! I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing that on my own. Maybe I will start with the 845. I really like the idea of the opti coat though.

Would I be best to do the opti- coat now or wait until its warm out to get proper curing?

Last edited:
Would you like to try before you buy?

Signed,
Right in your back door.

So I am getting ready to make my first order, but I want to talk with you guys before I push submit. I decided im too chicken to try the opti on my own. It sounds real easy, but something claiming to last forever on my new truck, in my hands...well that sounds intimidating.

I have the following on the order

Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845, liquid wax, heat-resistant wax, car wax

Poorboy's EX Sealant with Carnauba: long-lasting protection and a deep, wet-looking gloss! poorboys paint sealant, paint sealer, poorboys ex carnauba

My plan of attack on the new truck was to do a good clay bar, and then wax with the 845 and put the poor boys sealer over top. Whats your thoughts?

Also, I need microfiber. Can someone point me in the right direction for some good reasonable priced micro?

Back