Brand new 2013 car with swirls

akj

Reaction score
So I just got a brand new black Kia optima a month ago or so. And I noticed that it came with very very fine light swirls spider webbing I guess as its called. On a sunny day its very noticeable on a black car.
So I was wondering what would be a good pad and product compound? I just found out that megs glaze products have a very fine cut to them would that be a good first step? If so or if not what pad should I use and what steps would u take?

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

So I just got a brand new black Kia optima a month ago or so. And I noticed that it came with very very fine light swirls spider webbing I guess as its called. On a sunny day its very noticeable on a black car.
So I was wondering what would be a good pad and product compound? I just found out that megs glaze products have a very fine cut to them would that be a good first step? If so or if not what pad should I use and what steps would u take?

The Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line is a complete line of all kinds of different products for interior and exterior detailing. Most are advertised as "body shop safe". IMO a "good first step" would be a test spot http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html. Always use the least aggressive approach to get the job done. Personally, I would try with a LC black finishing pad and Meg's 205, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze or Menzerna SF4500. All three are fine to very fine polishes, they may not have enough cut for your particular paint system. That is why a test spot is a must.:buffing:

I agree with spiralout. if you dont have enough cut with those I would try menzerna super intensive polish with a lake country white pad or meguiars yellow soft buff.

There is no definitive answer, as literally every car is different. The best way to prepare yourself for owning a black car is to have a variety of pads and a variety of polishes.

If you like Meguiar's line up - M105 and M205 are a great combo (though it sounds like your car simply needs a touch up with M205 and a finishing pad as previously suggested).

Yea I was thinking megs 205 or menz 4500 but I am still unsure about the pad.

Yea I was thinking megs 205 or menz 4500 but I am still unsure about the pad.

Because you have a black vehicle, this is of course a natural occuring phenomenon.

Just looking sideways at black paint causes it to swirl! LOL

Seriously, if it's ultra light swirls, consider that "less is more".

DA machines are wonderful tools, you see the fellas (and a few gals) transforming literal junk yard dogs into show vehicles with the right techniques, and products.

The question is, do you need such?

It is hard to say, none of us are standing in front of your vehicle to evalute-judge its condition, and what would be the best course of action?

As for the Kia (I have one), I could probably hand polish 3/4ths of the vehicle, and be almost done, by the time you complete masking for a DA process.

Meguiars M205 is a fantastic product, can be used via hand, DA, or Rotary. And it works absotutely beautifully just by hand. IMO, one of the finest products Meguiars has ever made.

That might be all you need? Then follow with a nice sealant.

Two I would choose, would be Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, or another very well liked, Menzera Power Lock Sealant. To maintain after a wash, instead of Detail Sprays, which they are some nice ones, they usually don't last too long.

Instead of a Detailer Spray, perhaps use a product like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal, just about as easy as a detail spray. not much more expensive than the best deatiler sprays, but much better protection, and an awesome wet candy apple like coating, and gloss-shine.

You can always do more to a paint in time, if hand applications still leave some paint swirls-damage. But you cannot do less. If you're planning on keeping this beauty for a good number of years, get in the habit of doing less, as little as possible to properly maintain the beauty of the paint finish.

And at this point, do seriously consider some good exterior trim, and tire protectants. I cannot strongly stress enough to resist the urge to use over the counter products like Armor All.

Get some good protectants from this site, and many years from now, this car will still be looking showroom fresh.

Hope this helps. Mark

Thanks a lot mark! Great info never heard of the Wolfgang sealant but very glad to hear about it..
I will be sure to put it on my list to order tomorrow.

I agree with spiralout. if you dont have enough cut with those I would try menzerna super intensive polish with a lake country white pad or meguiars yellow soft buff.

On a scale of 1-10, SIP is around an 8 in cut. Mind you, I am not saying SIP-White won't work. There are other less aggressive product and pad combos out there that can achieve the desired result in the Menz line. SF4000 and SF4500 comes to mind.

Thanks a lot mark! Great info never heard of the Wolfgang sealant but very glad to hear about it..

With any order from AG over $50, you can request a 2oz sample of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant to try for free.

Applied properly (thin coat, and it spreads very easy), you should be able to at least get one full application of this product on your Kia, and possibly another with this sample.

This product's qualities are that it immediately wows after it's effortless wipe off, and then gets even better after curing on the paint.

The entire Wolfgang line are truly first class products. The same with Pinnacle, both are AG house brands, but don't let the term "house brand" fool you. They are all worthy to be placed on the finest vehicles. Mark

Thanks mark. I never heard of Wolfgang or any of them before coming here.. after hearing what u say about that deep gloss I may just buy a bottle..
Any others u would recommend?

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealan is great and I use it but I really like Wolfgang Fuzion. My experience is that Fuzion has more durability than the sealant. But, both are great, easy to use products.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealan is great and I use it but I really like Wolfgang Fuzion. My experience is that Fuzion has more durability than the sealant. But, both are great, easy to use products.

I could be wrong, but it's been my understanding that WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is the most durable product in the entire WG line up at present?

This is what is claimed in Wolfgang's own handbook which can be downloaded here on this site.

One of these days, I'm hoping to try Fuzion and use it in combination with WGDGPS 3.0. I've been kicking myself still, from a few months back, when the large jar with free refill was $99.

Maybe we'll get lucky again, and see this offer come again? Hope so.
Mark

Boy, it really sucks when you have to remove some clear coat off a brand new car, regardless of how you do it.

Boy, it really sucks when you have to remove some clear coat off a brand new car, regardless of how you do it.

+1 no crap!! Makes u really reconsider it before u do it..

I am new to this game, and I have had fantastic success with Blackfire Total Polish & Seal. It's an All-In-One polish and sealant. My beater truck still has lots of deep scratches, but the paint is shiny and smooth (no swirls) and most of the very minor scratches are gone. Also used it on my medium/dark blue F-250, with fantastic results. It was recommended to me, and I am passing it on. I noticed some minor swirls on my wife's 2012 Mazda this weekend, and I will be using the BF AIO on it when I wax it again. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank u.. Can u get it here? And what pad do u use with it for very very minor swirls?

Back