Drying - Why MF/Waffle over Chamois?

fdesalvo, I think you are on the right track. I still believe natural chamois are the best for the following reasons.

1. Natural Chamois Leather DOES have nap (the small fibers that pull dirt into the material away from your paint), one side has nap and the other smooth. Synthetic chamois, like the absorber or the water sprite, do not.

2. Unlike many of the waffle weave towels like the guzzler, the excess dirt that is picked up while drying the car (and there always is) stays in the material and can be abrasive. A natural chamois can be rinsed in a bucket of clean water to release any particles. This will significantly minimize the possibility of swirl marks or marring your paint.

3. A quality natural chamois removes the water better than any other product and will not leave water spots or streaks.

4. As for using a leaf blower, be careful. Leaf blowers suck in outside air through the intake system and blow it out - anything abrasive in the air will then be propelled onto the paint.

The chamois I found to be the best for nap, durability, absorption and softness is linked below.

Tanner's Select Premium New Zealand Sheepskin Chamois (5.5 Sq. Ft.)

I hope this helps

Don’t use a synthetic chamois is just another internet myth, more than likely propagated by car forums such as this. Although I would tend to agree, you shouldn't use an old leather chamois that you just found in your grandfather’s shed.

Personally I think you can do more damage to your paint with an improperly used guzzler. A new user thinks he is safe purchasing a guzzler or any MF for drying purposes, but unless he prepares it properly, breaking it in, and uses it properly he is more than likely to damage the paint.

Like any piece of equipment a synthetic chamois or a guzzler has to be perfectly maintained for it to work as intended. You read all the time here, how guys put their MFs and drying towels in the washing machine. How does anyone know if they are clean and perfectly rinsed when they are removed from the washing machine? The only way to do the job properly is to first let them soak in a bucket of detergent and then hand wash and lastly hand rinse in a bucket as many times as it takes until you are sure that the rinse water is crystal clear.

I've used a synthetic chamois on my vehicle for the last 14 years and it still does the job perfectly and more efficiently then a guzzler. The paint looks the same (or even better) as the day I purchased the car. I maintain and treat the synthetic chamois exactly the same as my MFs.

Meguiars also produce a very soft, fine drying chamois that is also ideal, not as absorbent as a synthetic chamois by ideal for wiping down paint or glass after using the chamois. I’m not sure of its exact name as I had it for so long. The chamois and the Meg's chamois live in the same bucket of water in between jobs and are both washed after about every 5 cars.

If you are not sure what to use, just try one on a door jamb. If used properly you will not mar your paint.

If you vehicle has to be perfectly dry such as before the application of Opti-Coat or Opti-Guard then you can’t beat a blower. Blowers aren't exactly neighbourly friendly though.

I used the synthetic P21S drying towel for a while. The main issue I had with it is it slowly falls apart leaving little tan pieces all over my car.

When I first started using the Guzzler I was not impressed. However, there was a slight learning curve. Now I use a Guzzler with other towels and it works well. I also have 4 of the huge Sonax waffle weaves but only used them once, so its hard to tell how they compare to the Guzzler.

I used the synthetic P21S drying towel for a while. The main issue I had with it is it slowly falls apart leaving little tan pieces all over my car.

When I first started using the Guzzler I was not impressed. However, there was a slight learning curve. Now I use a Guzzler with other towels and it works well. I also have 4 of the huge Sonax waffle weaves but only used them once, so its hard to tell how they compare to the Guzzler.

Have you tried any of the foam core towels like Mothers or the Guzzler HD? They have an even bigger learning curve IMO, a bit stiffer because of the foam core, but pick up water like no other. I still follow up with a Cobra Deluxe for a final wipe.

Don’t use a synthetic chamois is just another internet myth, more than likely propagated by car forums such as this. Although I would tend to agree, you shouldn't use an old leather chamois that you just found in your grandfather’s shed.

Personally I think you can do more damage to your paint with an improperly used guzzler. A new user thinks he is safe purchasing a guzzler or any MF for drying purposes, but unless he prepares it properly, breaking it in, and uses it properly he is more than likely to damage the paint.

Like any piece of equipment a synthetic chamois or a guzzler has to be perfectly maintained for it to work as intended. You read all the time here, how guys put their MFs and drying towels in the washing machine. How does anyone know if they are clean and perfectly rinsed when they are removed from the washing machine? The only way to do the job properly is to first let them soak in a bucket of detergent and then hand wash and lastly hand rinse in a bucket as many times as it takes until you are sure that the rinse water is crystal clear.

I've used a synthetic chamois on my vehicle for the last 14 years and it still does the job perfectly and more efficiently then a guzzler. The paint looks the same (or even better) as the day I purchased the car. I maintain and treat the synthetic chamois exactly the same as my MFs.

Meguiars also produce a very soft, fine drying chamois that is also ideal, not as absorbent as a synthetic chamois by ideal for wiping down paint or glass after using the chamois. I’m not sure of its exact name as I had it for so long. The chamois and the Meg's chamois live in the same bucket of water in between jobs and are both washed after about every 5 cars.

If you are not sure what to use, just try one on a door jamb. If used properly you will not mar your paint.

If you vehicle has to be perfectly dry such as before the application of Opti-Coat or Opti-Guard then you can’t beat a blower. Blowers aren't exactly neighbourly friendly though.
:iagree::whs:

Back