Best way to get beach/playground sand out of interior carpets?

2BlackChevys

Reaction score
I am working on a TrailBlazer that has a ton of beach or playground sand in the carpets. I have tried blowing it out with my compressor and vacuuming it with my shop vac. Is there a better way to get sand out of carpet?

Im no expert but maybe an extractor will work.

I once bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 that was a rental vehicle in Hawaii for 20k miles of it's life.

Oh what fun. I think after a year I took out maybe 2-3 pounds of sand from all areas of the interior. I would just hit the carpet with my hand near the vacuum nozzle.

Bad times. Good Jeep however, was flawless.

I use brushes on my cyclo to bring the sand up out of the rug then use my extractor.

A pet hair brush brings sand and small particulates to the surface.

Rubber Pet Brush

Brush & vac, brush & vac...lather, rinse, repeat. Sand is time consuming and a bit labor intensive but there's no easy way I've found. A wipedown with a damp microfiber towel..you know, the ones that grab everything if you drop 'em on the floor...removes a surprising amount of miniscule grit that you can't even see.

TL

Try a shop vac, but scrub the carpet with folex and then vaccum it out ?

Agitation is the only method that brings sand to the surface. I use my PC with the green bristle carpet attachment brush. If possible pull the carpet up from the end where it's tucked under the pedals and door thresholds and pat the carpet backing. This with the helpbof gravity will get at least half the sand/particles out if the carpet. Extraction helps lift the ultra fine particles by wicking as the carpet drys. Once dry vacuum again and go another round with the extractor if you feel it's necessary. Wiping when dry and blotting the carpet when wet helps pull away some particles close to the surface of the fibers but will do nothing for imbedded sand/particles, IME.
Like stated, it is just a time consuming process to get every bit of sand out of carpet. Your best bet is talk to the customer and advise them that it be an ongoing process with maintenance details. Otherwise you lose money on your time spent or the customer will pay a lot more initially. Of you can pull the carpet completely you flip over and knock the sand out. All depends how much time you have to spend on the vehicle and what the customer's desire is.
If you don't have a carpet attachment for a DA then using a stiff bristle brush and sweeping will help a good bit. I use a dust pan broom/sweeper that I bought from HF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AG Online

Good suggestions so far...

If you really want to get the sand out then remove the seats and remove the carpets. Then turn them upside down and beat them with a small baseball bat or some other type of club and vacuum. Beat and vacuum. Beat and vacuum.

I get sand in my truck but I have Dynamat for carpets, so I can just blast my interior with water.

:D

For my personal vehicle.

I use 303 fabric guard on all the carpet areas.

I also Installed Weathertech liners.

I vacuum twice a week

not as drastic as Mike does I just hit the area while I'm vacuuming

I use a 6hp shop vac with various attachments.

I live at the beach. so the weathertechs were a must for all the beach sand.

As far as clients car's go. I do roughly the same and do always suggest they consider rubber mats for those with burned out floor mats.. at least the front

Mikes suggestion sounds great but I would def have an added charge if I had to do seat removal as well as carpet removal.

*** then again thinking about it I don't personally think I would be comfortable removing and re installing the seats (for liability reasons)

Back