PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Product Not Working

Pages : [1] 2

skiptut
03-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Has anyone had problems using Pinnalle "Paint Cleansing Lotion"?
I have tried four times on different paint after using compounds prior to using Wolfgang "Deep Gloss Paint Sealant".
Each time it leaves streaks or light surface scratches that wax will not remove, meaning its time to use Meg Finishing Wax to remove.
Whats wrong, is it time to trash it?

ihaveacamaro
03-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Each time it leaves streaks or light surface scratches that wax will not remove, meaning its time to use Meg Finishing Wax to remove.

wax doesn't remove scratches :dunno:

How do you know that the cleansing lotion isn't just "unveiling" the already present scratches?

mwoolfso
03-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Pinnacle PCL is a chemical-based, non-abrasive cleaner. As such, it is not a polish.

Your problem is not with the step where you use this product, unless you are introducing contamination relative to your application and applicator cleaning methods.

Try documenting your process here in some more detail and we should be able to help you out some more.

Rsurfer
03-28-2013, 01:23 PM
I have tried four times on different paint after using compounds prior to using Wolfgang "Deep Gloss Paint Sealant".
First of all PPCL has no abrasives there fore cannot leave scratches. It's a chemical cleaner and has light fillers. PPCL is a WOWO product..do not let dry. Are you applying by hand or machine?

rider9195
03-28-2013, 01:24 PM
wax doesn't remove scratches :dunno:

How do you know that the cleansing lotion isn't just "unveiling" the already present scratches?

Agreed.

The Paint Cleansing Lotion is more of a chemical paint cleaner and will not remove scratches. What compound did you use and how did you apply it? May have possibly put more damage into your paint.

My thought is that you need a medium polish such as Menzerna Power Finish or Super Finish.

Can you upload any photos?

Edit: A little later to respond, but the questions still stand.

Audi X2
03-28-2013, 01:24 PM

What method are you using to apply the Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion and what else have you done prior to using it ?
This product will not create streaks or scratches, but it will not remove or cover them up either. However, if the surface was not properly de-contaminated with proper cleaning and clay procedure you may induce further defects in the paint by improper application.

skiptut
03-28-2013, 02:20 PM
What method are you using to apply the Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion and what else have you done prior to using it ?
This product will not create streaks or scratches, but it will not remove or cover them up either. However, if the surface was not properly de-contaminated with proper cleaning and clay procedure you may induce further defects in the paint by improper application.

Sorry for the quick rant!
This paint is on my Harley, front faring with good paint 1 yr old.
First I washed then clayed using Pinn "Ultra Poly clay". Followed with Meguiars "DA Microfiber Correction System", Compound first followed by the "M-DAMicrofiber Finishing Wax as directed.
I want to use WG "Deep Gloss Paint Sealant" then top with Pinn Souveran wax. But before I use the WG I was going to clean with the Pinn "Paintwork Cleansing Lotion" and then seal it and wax.
that is when the Lotion was causing marks that only the light would show.
I guess I just need a finishing compound before the WG sealant. Thats it in a nut shell.

Boudin
03-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Like you said, a polish is needed after compounding to remove fine swirls and haze. The PCL is probably just helping reveal it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

VroomVroom
03-28-2013, 03:01 PM
You're likely well on your way from the advice above, but FWIW, I'm not wholly convinced this isn't streaking from using too much product. Just a thought...

If, however, the paint is quite soft, you may have some marring and scratching left behind by the compound. As suggested, if there's a way you can share some pics, ideally under bright lighting, I'm guessing a determination and plan of action can both be made.

Wheelzntoys
03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
You used "first followed by the "M-DAMicrofiber Finishing Wax as directed"?

Sometimes depending on paint, it does not leave a great finish.

509IS350
03-28-2013, 03:27 PM
The cleansing lotion is just a wax remover, not a polish.

lkotsios
03-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Pinnacle cleansing lotion left micro marring on my car as well. Maybe it contains kaolin clay that will marr some finishes.

Mike Phillips
03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
First I washed then clayed using Pinn "Ultra Poly clay". Followed with Meguiars "DA Microfiber Correction System", Compound first followed by the "M-DAMicrofiber Finishing Wax as directed.

At this point you're done and the paint should look pretty good.

I want to use WG "Deep Gloss Paint Sealant" then top with Pinn Souveran wax. But before I use the WG I was going to clean with the Pinn "Paintwork Cleansing Lotion" and then seal it and wax.

Now you're talking about "topping".

You're wanting to apply a synthetic paint sealant over the Meguiar's finishing wax and then apply the Pinnacle Carnauba wax over the synthetic paint sealant.

See my article here,

Topping - Definition - How to Top also called Topping (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40089-topping-definition-how-top-also-called-topping.html)

that is when the Lotion was causing marks that only the light would show.

You're working backwards at this point. You're taking a paint cleaner, a product to remove stains, light surface oxidation and other impurities to a waxed surface. No need to do this.

If you're trying to "strip" off the Meguiar's finishing wax so the Wolfgang synthetic sealant will "bond" to the paint, then

A: Don't apply the Meguiar's finishing wax, instead machine polish with a foam pad and either a fine cut or an ultra fine cut polish.

B: Machine polish like I just typed above right over the Meguiar's Finishing Wax and this will effectively remove it.

You're kind of doing some extra unneeded steps in here...

I guess I just need a finishing compound before the WG sealant. Thats it in a nut shell.

Technically you want a finishing polish, not a finishing compound.

:)

Mike Phillips
03-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Lots of information including how to use the Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion here...

How to clay, clean and wax paint by hand with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25218-how-clay-clean-wax-paint-hand-pinnacle-signature-series-ii.html)

This half the hood is now clean and smooth and ready for an application of wax...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/858/PaintCleaningByHand011.jpg

While claying will remove above surface bonded contaminants, Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will remove embedded road grime and pollutants as you can see when we compare the applicator pad we used to a brand new, clean applicator pad.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/858/PaintCleaningByHand012.jpg

Pinnacle Signature Series II premium Carnauba Sax does not need to dry; after applying to a panel, use a clean, soft microfiber towel like the Cobra Indigo Microfiber Towel and immediately remove the wax and then move on to applying to a new panel.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/858/PaintCleaningByHand018.jpg

This is a simple approach that leaves a protective coating on the paint while creating a clear, reflective finish with a deep wet shine.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/858/PaintCleaningByHand019.jpg

Outside in natural light, it looks like the Pinnacle Signature Series II Paste Wax is floating over the paint... not bad for a simple approach anyone can do in their garage by hand...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/858/PaintCleaningByHand020.jpg

:D

lkotsios
03-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Try DODO juice Lime prime lite its great for softer paints and will clean paint prior to waxing or sealing.