DA polisher ?

kjk66ss

Reaction score
I know I'm sounding cheap but would like to know if anyone has used the DA polisher that harbor freight sells? I would like to pick one up and would only use it maybe once and if I'm lucky twice a year so I would like to save a few bucks but not at the sake of nice paint.

Let me know your opinions. Like I said I know harbor freight is low quality but this just a short term kind of use

I have heard of some people liking it from here at AG. Their only complaint has been noise, and faulty backing pad. I however would sugest that if you will not do it often a griots random orbital will work best specially since it has a lifeme warranty.

I have the GG6 and love it! Still learning but I really like it:)

I've got one, picked it up one day when my PC crapped out. It worked so well I haven't felt the need to replace it. It's got more power than my PC had. It's been going strong for 6 months through regular(2-3x a week) use. For a hobbyist and "on the side" detailers, I'd recommend it. Spend the money you save on pads, that's where the real cost is anyways.

I've had the Harbor Freight for a couple of months and it's been great for me. I've worked on my own car and a friend's and have had zero issues. Got it for $50 with a two year warranty. I bought a 5" backing plate for it and have never used the 6" one that came with it, so I can't comment on whether it's janky or not. I also haven't used the HF pads, so I can't comment on those. Has worked great with LC foam pads, Buff and Shine MF pads, and Optimum MF pads.

The machine feels at least as powerful as the Meg's unit I tried before. It is loud, but I will say that the machine has gotten a bit quieter as I've used it more. It's about on par with the Meg's one at this point (I think). I usually wear ear plugs though so its loudness never bothered me that much.

Like you, I bought the Harbor Freight model to save some money. I figured that if I start to do a lot of detailing (for friends/family or as a small side job), at that point I wouldn't mind laying out the money for a Rupes and turning the HF into a dedicated 3" machine. I'm almost at that point now, but whether I eventually get a Rupes or not, I have zero regrets about getting the HF over a Griot's, Meg's, or PC. Out of those other three, only the Griot's has any advantages over the HF as far as I'm concerned (the lifetime warranty and 25' cord if you get that model), but I figure if my HF craps out after my two year warranty expires I'll have gotten good use out of it as a learning tool and I'll be more then ready to upgrade then if I haven't done so already.

Anyway, hope that helps. Good luck.

Wow, thanks for the detailed feedback guys! Really appreciate it. I think I will try it out. And like one of you said I will spend the money I save on good pads. I only plan on using it to so a decent polish of very light swirl marks or any marring that I get from the clay bar.

How do I figure out what backing plate to get and what pads fit?

Also my original plan was to purchase the GG polisher but isn't that a 3" polisher mostly made for small tasks such as motorcycles and such? I have a full size diesel truck so a small one might take some time.

Griot's makes 2 da polishers one 6in and another 3 in to get into the nooks and cranies

Wow, thanks for the detailed feedback guys! Really appreciate it. I think I will try it out. And like one of you said I will spend the money I save on good pads. I only plan on using it to so a decent polish of very light swirl marks or any marring that I get from the clay bar.

Also my original plan was to purchase the GG polisher but isn't that a 3" polisher mostly made for small tasks such as motorcycles and such? I have a full size diesel truck so a small one might take some time.

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate
Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Foam Pads, buffing pads, Lake Country curved edge pads, polishing pads
Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads

This would be a good start. I use 4" pads with a 3.5" bp quite frequently as well

GG makes a 6" DA also.
Any backing plate for a DA will fit. (except those made for a Flex 3401)
Size the pad for the backing plate you'll be using, there are many to choose from.

What would be a good "light" combo to start with. My truck was polished 6 or 7 months ago when I bought it so it hardly has visible swirl marks as I drive it about twice a month and it sits in a garage. But after several trip to the car wash and making the investment of buying all the car soap and clay and expensive waxes and such, I might as well hit it with a light polish after I clay.

So, I'm not sure if I need a black finishing pad or a more aggressive ether orange or green pad depending on manufacture. And what is a good Light polish?

Check This out

The link above will show you what I was able to do on my Nissan Titan with the HF Polisher and pads using Megs 105 and 205. The second one was a good scratch from some bushes I hit on a trail.

I've since upgraded to the Chemical Guys microfiber F1 and F2 polishing systems on a 5" backing plate. Works a lot faster. Results attached.

Back