PDA

View Full Version : OCW - Preferred Application?

Pages : [1] 2

RBJR
04-06-2013, 03:56 AM
Greetings All:

Was looking to get some thoughts on the preferred method of application for Optimum Car Wax.

Thanks In Advance

Ray

senz
04-06-2013, 05:11 AM
Spray it onto your vehicle and spread it over the paint with a microfiber towel.

It's that easy ;)

BobbyG
04-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Optimum Car Wax is pretty easy to use but most of us tend to use too much. Over use can cause streaking especially noticeable on darker colors. The key to avoiding this is to use a light spray on a microfiber towel then buff the paint.

Sealant's and waxes in general go a long way and most of us have a tendency to over apply everything thinking more is better.....not the case here. When you think about the actual film thickness that's protecting our cars finish, that's really all that needs to be applied, the rest is wasted and gets thrown away...

Bunky
04-06-2013, 07:38 AM
For most spray waxes, I would suggest using 2 towels - one to spread and one to buff dry. The first towel will get more saturated as you go so you will not really need to spray as much initially. The second drier towel will be sure minimal issues with streaking since saturated towels are not picking everything or just transferring back to paint.

mwoolfso
04-06-2013, 07:41 AM
I do the spray-on-the-applicator when I am in sunlight and cannot avoid it. Otherwise, I spray on the panel and wipe. What I find is that as I progress through the car the applicator (microfiber) gets saturated and I need to spray less product as time goes by.

Lowejackson
04-06-2013, 02:49 PM
On a normal sized panel I would say a couple of sprays is enough, on larger panels such as the roof then maybe 3 or 4 would be needed

SonOfOC
04-06-2013, 04:25 PM
For most spray waxes, I would suggest using 2 towels - one to spread and one to buff dry. The first towel will get more saturated as you go so you will not really need to spray as much initially. The second drier towel will be sure minimal issues with streaking since saturated towels are not picking everything or just transferring back to paint.

:iagree:Best advice with OCW above. The first towel will eventually get soaked, but that's okay because its main purpose is to spread the OCW to get good coverage.
The second towel is the wipe off/ buffing towel.

OCW will streak pretty badly on dark colors. Not the products fault considering how durable OCW is.

Another fabulous method is to spray OCW onto a red LC pad and apply via PC. Allow to haze and buff of with a microfiber. More labor intensive and kind defeats the purpose of using a spray wax, but it provides more durability then SOWO.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Shouldn't the towel you use to buff dry eliminate any streaking?

I've never had a problem with it streaking. OCW looks great and can be used as a standalone LSP. Very rare for a spray wax.

SonOfOC
04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
If going to use a like 4 towels. OCW streaks more than any other spray wax I've used. It must be "waxy" that causes streaks, but at same time offers tremendous protection for a spray wax. It's more of a SOBO and not SOWO.

I've never had a problem with it streaking. OCW looks great and can be used as a standalone LSP. Very rare for a spray wax.

swanicyouth
04-06-2013, 05:21 PM

It looks like your car is silver from your avatar ??? Ever try it on a black car?? Maybe in too picky, but I see holograms from it in the sun no matter how sparingly I use it. It's been a while though, maybe I'll try it again.

vman
04-06-2013, 05:38 PM
I noticed it streaks as well when I spray too much. Using two towels is a must as stated above. The trick i found is to buff it off with a dry towel before it even gets the chance to flash. So as soon as you begin spreading the wax with your wet towel, have the dry towel in your other hand ready to buff it off wax on wax off style. That being said, I found it impossible to get a streak free finish in the sun.

matryx
04-06-2013, 07:25 PM
The two times I used this I found it difficult to use. Seems like most of are use a MF towel as applicator. I was using the yellow applicator I bought from AG. Maybe that's why I couldn't spread it as thin. Felt like it was dragging. First time I use too much product. The second time I tried to spread it thin but the foam applicator felt like it dried out pretty quick.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-06-2013, 08:20 PM
The two times I used this I found it difficult to use. Seems like most of are use a MF towel as applicator. I was using the yellow applicator I bought from AG. Maybe that's why I couldn't spread it as thin. Felt like it was dragging. First time I use too much product. The second time I tried to spread it thin but the foam applicator felt like it dried out pretty quick.
You definitely want to use a MF towel. Yellow applicators are meant for past waxes.

RBJR
04-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Greetings All:
We had a beautiful day so I decided to try OCW. I used the 2 MF towel application. 1 MF to apply and 1 MF to buff. Making sure not to use to much product.

WoW. What an effective, effortless, fun product to use. I generally try to keep the paint on this car in good to excellent condition and have been very satisfied with the depth of shine and how the flake glistened.

OCW took it to another level. My dear wife who is oblivious to anything car related asked in her own funny way, "what is all that green flakey stuff?" LoL

Once again, Appreciate the Feedback.

Ray

matryx
04-07-2013, 06:20 PM
You definitely want to use a MF towel. Yellow applicators are meant for past waxes.

Thanks. So that's what I've been doing wrong. I made a thread awhile back about the difficult time I was having using OCW and nobody mention that. What kind of MF is best for this? I got tons of new MF towels I picked up from Microfibertech and some CG towels.

Also I've read that some here dedicate a few towels for just applying wax because the wax can never be really wash of? Is this true?