How many pads do you use for each step in detailing?

Steelman

Reaction score
When doing a 1 to 5 step detailing: "How many foam pads do you use for each step?

Anywhere from 2-6 for a typical sedan and of course depending on the condition of the paint.

I change out my pad after every section. Typically use 15 to 30 pads on 1 stage polish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I change out my pad after every section. Typically use 15 to 30 pads on 1 stage polish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Holy Cow! I've never heard of anything like that, but if it works, go for it!

2 wool pads (keeping them clean)

Foam: Usually 6 or 7 for each step. 1 for the hood and front end. 2 for each side. 1 for the rear. 1 for the roof

Also, using more foam pads like this, prolongs the life of your pads. They don't heat up as much or get oversaturated.

15-30 pads? Seems like a complete and total waste.

I typically use between 2-4 per correction step. "Clean on the fly" after each section or panel.

Last edited:
15-30 pads? Seems like a complete and total waste.

I typically use between 2-4 per correction step.

This^ 15 to 30 I dont think I own that many all together

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AG Online

When i worked at a production shop, I used one wool pad for like 10-15 cars and also the foam pad. Hahaha

I always thought this was normal lol

I thought 4 or 5 pads for correction and 1 pad each for polishing and waxing. Sheeeese, I'd better get some more pads.

I only use that many when I am using foam pads. With mf pads usually 4 to 6 pads for a car. I just don't like pulling out the compressor to blow the pads off. The foam cleaning brush actually tears the heck out of the foam pads so I don't use that clean them with. So I just start a new sectioin with a clean pads. Then toss the pads into the washer for cleaning. It works for me. No production shop here just me doing this as an advanced hobbiest.

Wait a minute, if I'm doing the WG 3 step swirl process I should be using 4-6 pads per step? So up to 18 pads with my 7424??

I use a terry cloth to clean on the fly for foam pads.

I can use 2 pads per polishing step. Maybe I am being too economical or sacrificing results but I don't have the luxury to use that many.

Wow, maybe that's why I didn't get great results when I did it last fall. I only used 1 pad per step. More pads are DEFINITELY on my purchase list now!! Ha

I use probably 4-6 for compounding a med sized vehicle. 3-4 for polishing steps. I try to at least take a towel to them after each panel.

Im confused. Why do you switch pads so often? Because they wear down, or because they are clogged up? In other words, do you use 4 pads for a compounding step, and throw them out, or use 4 pads, wash them, and then they are good to go again?

Im confused. Why do you switch pads so often? Because they wear down, or because they are clogged up? In other words, do you use 4 pads for a compounding step, and throw them out, or use 4 pads, wash them, and then they are good to go again?

Same question here

Back