PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat Prep for my Mom (need polish input, etc.)

Radarryan
04-19-2013, 03:19 AM
I need the forum's help with this one... I am wanting to Opti-Coat 2.0 my Mom's 2012 BMW X5 that is metallic black. The car is just over a year and a half old, and as expected is in pretty good condition. Her car just got booted to the outside after my Dad bought a couple of new exotics that now reside in the garage. I want to Opti-Coat the car to protect it best from the elements (if anyone has any recommendation better than Opti-Coat please chime in!)

Truthfully, I am looking for a polish that I can get a good result with in preparation for the coating. I don't need show car, but at the same time it is a black car so scratches will show. I really only see micro-marring from the car wash (I know this will hurt the community, but yes, more often than not, it will be run through a car wash [gotta love the $4 wash-n-go]). One step polish is really preferred.

I was thinking that I would go with either M205 or Ultimate Polish. I have some opti polish but I will not have enough and want to get the project done as soon as possible. I will be using a PC buffer with the option of white, grey, blue, or red pads (sorry! but I've never had a need for anything more aggressive than that). I want a polish that is easy to use (that's why I'm leaning toward the Meg's consumer side) but at the same time will have the polish power to get the micro-marring out without having to jump to a stronger compound. I also know that I won't really know until I do a test spot but I'm sure the wonderful detailers on this forum have quite a bit of experience with BMW black metallic paint. Again, I am not committed to Meguiar's but know that we all agree they make a quality product that is easy to obtain.

Thanks for all your input and Happy Detailing!!

jcedorjr
04-19-2013, 05:37 AM
I have a metallic black VW and have had awesome results with BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish. I was going to use m205 but was told that it can cause micro marring on black as where BLACKFIRE would not. I've had awesome results with my PC and white pads. Just make sure you wipe it down with an IPA mixture afterwards to get the oils off. Good luck!

Sent from my DROID X2 using AG Online

BobbyG
04-19-2013, 06:04 AM
Mom's going to be pretty happy you're doing this for her! :props:

The first thing to remember is Opti-Coat is a permanent hard coating, meaning the only way to really remove it is to polish it off.

Your machine and pad selection are fine.

Meguiar's M205 is a beautiful polish and if the finish is in the shape I think it is this is probably all you need. You'll have to be the once you begin.

Menzerna SF-4000 is another polish I highly recommend.

Go through the steps 1 by 1.

Wash
Clay
Decontaminate
Polish
Inspect
Panel prep (IPA Wipe)
Application

Here's a few links for reference.

Opti-Coat Application Methods - YouTube

Opti-Coat 2.0 Application - YouTube

Application: Optimum Coatings.wmv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qu3qtG3DjM&feature=youtu.be)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/43359-optimum-opti-coat-2-0-permanent-paint-protection-made-easy.html

zmcgovern45
04-19-2013, 07:08 AM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/406937_171530296318431_1669998452_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/403423_171530599651734_1075020207_n.jpg

These pictures are from a BMW Z3 in Sapphire Metallic Black... I had fantastic results with M205. :dblthumb2:

ski2
04-19-2013, 07:31 AM
If you're prepping for OC why not make it easy on yourself--if you use Optimum polishes all you need do is wipe down with a damp MF before applying OC rather than IPA wipe downs? Even HD Polish would be easier as you just need a ONR wash before applying OC.

Chris Thomas
04-21-2013, 10:57 AM
You will save time and have the best results with Optimum Polish II.

Radarryan
04-22-2013, 10:37 PM
You will save time and have the best results with Optimum Polish II.

Chris, question... If I go with Optimum Polish II, will I need to follow up with Optimum Finish Polish to ensure a swirl free shine? The reason I ask is because when I was Opti-Coating my Porsche 911, which is also black, the paint (I assume) was so soft that I was putting swirls in by polishing. For me, I'm okay doing a multi-step but for my Mom I kind of want to keep it to a one step, pre-Opti-Coat polish. Also, what pad recommendations would you use with Finish and Polish II. I've used grey, white, blue all with differing results. What would finish out to a wonderful, swirl free shine?

Chris Thomas
04-22-2013, 10:43 PM
98% of car finishes will not need Optimum Finish after Polish II. Your test spot(s) will tell the tale for your polishes and your pad choices. There is a huge time saving advantage with using our polishes. After dry removal of the visible residue, you only need to wipe the paint with a water dampened microfiber, then dry, and you're ready to coat. I don't know of any other polish you can go straight to coating after without compromising the bonding.

KG21
04-25-2013, 01:10 PM
98% of car finishes will not need Optimum Finish after Polish II. Your test spot(s) will tell the tale for your polishes and your pad choices. There is a huge time saving advantage with using our polishes. After dry removal of the visible residue, you only need to wipe the paint with a water dampened microfiber, then dry, and you're ready to coat. I don't know of any other polish you can go straight to coating after without compromising the bonding.

Chris, I assume this applies to all OPT polishes? I am planning on using OC after the Hyper Spray Polish. Sorry for the threadjack.