Wax over sealant rule?

Dogfather

Reaction score
I'm considering topping my sealant with a wax this spring (just for the heck of it). Just wondering what the effect might be when I employ my usual maintenance practice of using DG Aquawax (spray sealant) as I dry after a wash, thereby breaking the "wax over sealant" rule. Should I reconsider and just leave the wax in the can?

I always do 2 coats of sealant and one coat of wax on my customers cars. The wax will give a little more durability and will bring the shine out more.

I never understood putting wax over a very durable sealant like Zaino Z-2 or DG 111. I would think the Aquawax would enhance the look of whatever sealant you are using.

I never understood putting wax over a very durable sealant like Zaino Z-2 or DG 111. I would think the Aquawax would enhance the look of whatever sealant you are using.
Most pure sealants are optically clear (or darn near close). This can be perfect against light colors and/or heavy pearl or metallic finishes, where you really want that POP. However, it can be a bit sterile or even bland looking on other finishes. A coat of a nice carnauba will add significant wetness and gloss to the finish.

Sealant is eating your peas. Wax is getting ice cream as a reward.

Those happen to be the two LSPs I've always used on this car. Your point is well taken, thus I have chosen to continue my usual
procedure. Perhaps when I, hopefully, own that car that spends most of its time in the garage I'll do that polish topped with fancy
wax thing.
Thanks.

Most pure sealants are optically clear (or darn near close). This can be perfect against light colors and/or heavy pearl or metallic finishes, where you really want that POP. However, it can be a bit sterile or even bland looking on other finishes. A coat of a nice carnauba will add significant wetness and gloss to the finish.

Sealant is eating your peas. Wax is getting ice cream as a reward.

I agree as I just put on DG #111 and metallic in my Storm Silver Metallic CR-Z is floating in the paint, awesome! I couldn't agree more about applying AW over the top of anything, its just a superior product IMHO!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

I tried Collinite 845 over DG 601/105 on the daughters car doing just the fenders to see if there was any difference. Her car is Twilight Blue Metallic. Didn't see one bit of difference. Stopped that experiment real quick. Her car does get washed almost weekly with DG 932 so maybe that is the difference. Maybe I should try the 845 on my truck which has Z2 and maintained with 932 and Aqua Wax. The truck is Driftwood, kind of silvery but in certain light conditions changes to a copperish color.

Dave

If you put wax over a sealant, do you have to completely remove all the wax before you put another coat of sealant on in the future? I'm in the habit of sealing my truck with Z-2 three or four times a year. Wouldn't a wax interfere with a sealants bond to the paint if not removed?

If you put wax over a sealant, do you have to completely remove all the wax before you put another coat of sealant on in the future? I'm in the habit of sealing my truck with Z-2 three or four times a year. Wouldn't a wax interfere with a sealants bond to the paint if not removed?

Year, its best to strip and start all over. What I do is put down the original sealant, and top it off with wax once a month

Back