NewBee ..Just joined

mikesal57

Reaction score
Hi All..

Looks like I joined at the right time.....Im the MAN(15% discount)

My name is Mike (56 years old) and wants to detail my car for the first time...

I have a 2009 BLACK Rav4

As you can guess ...swirls marks galore...and a few scuff marks from employee parking lot :(
other than that..pretty good condition

I'm not an enthusiast....and maybe go thru the process 2 times a year
So I don't want to go overboard...

I'm looking at the Griots Garage Swirl Remover Kit....

or

Griot�s Garage Random Orbital Wolfgang Duo

Which one you suggest?

Question: ...
Will I need to clay the car ,even though its black?

thxs

Mike

Welcome to AGO!

Either of those kits are great IMO.

here is an article on the Baggie test.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...nspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html

This test allows you to feel for above surface contimation on the clear. The bag makes you sense of touch very sensitive and you will be able to tell if you have a rough feel or smooth. You want to ultimately feel nothing but if you do then you will want to clay your car. If you never have then here you go:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20259-tips-techniques-using-detailing-clay.html
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxAesk4Po4&feature=player_embedded]Part 1 - How to use detailing clay - YouTube[/video]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opfK408uIxM&feature=player_embedded]Part 2 - How to use detailing clay - YouTube[/video]

Clay
Buff
Polish
Wax

There are a whole bunch of steps in between, products, techniques. Since you said it's a 2009. I'm guessing these will be the steps necessary. but you do have black paint so not 100% sure without seeing it in person. but those are those are the general steps.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think you could go wrong with the GG 6" DA-Wolfgang Duo Kit.

I'm not sure on these items if there's an additional 15% off with this bundle price? Others would know.

Otherwise, you're getting a Griots DA which carries a lifetime warrantee, and the Wolfgang Duo will truly impress you.

Compliment this kit with a small 8oz bottle of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, and perhaps also get a small 8oz bottle of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal, or a 16oz bottle of Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray.

The last two products I mention can both be used as an after wash detail spray to keep all your hard work looking nice for many months.

The WG Deep Gloss Liquid Seal is actually a Wipe on, Walk Away Polymer Sealant which can be used on its own, and is as simple as pie to use.
Takes about 15 minutes to do the whole vehicle, and will keep the paint looking like a wet candy apple, with mind boggling high deep gloss.

I have all these products that I list above, with the exception, I have the Porter Cable DA.

These car care products I have mentioned have little to no peer, just awesome stuff, and I feel were well worth the money I spent.

You can always later compliment the Griots Garage DA with a host of various pads, and different sized backing plates also. They will add to the versatility of the machine, such as using a 3.5" Backing Plate, and 4" Pads to get in hard to polish tight areas.

The AG House Brands, which a few (there are more) are Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and Blackfire are all fantastic. You cannot go wrong with any of these lines.
Surely do not underestimate any of them as being somehow "generic".
They are all state of the art cutting edge benchmark products.
Mark

Mike, Welcome to AGO. I don't think you will be disappointed with either one of those choices.

Thanks so much guys for the warm welcome...

I'm leaning towards the Wolfgang Duo..

to me it looks like its just right for a beginner like me..

question:

use the orange pad for the swirl removal...

use the blue for the finishing glaze...

Can I stop after this or do I need to go further?
Don't know if my back will be up for more...:)

Mike

Clay
Buff
Polish
Wax

There are a whole bunch of steps in between, products, techniques. Since you said it's a 2009. I'm guessing these will be the steps necessary. but you do have black paint so not 100% sure without seeing it in person. but those are those are the general steps.
Alot of good info here on AG. Get a cup of coffee or ur favorite beverage and watch the how to videos and don`t be afriad to ask for advice.

:welcome:

You will definitely need more pads than what is in the kit especially the polishing (orange, white) pads. Many prefer 5-in pads but realize the kit includes 6.5-in pads.

You will definitely need more pads than what is in the kit especially the polishing (orange, white) pads. Many prefer 5-in pads but realize the kit includes 6.5-in pads.

How many would I need?
with Wolfgang Swirl ..I use orange
with the glaze , do I use blue or white?
I plan on getting the Wolfgang Deep gloss Sealant and micro pad to finish things off

Can I fit a 5" on my Griot?

I saw one of the videos and they just cleaned the pad with a terry clothe and went on to next panel.

Mike

Clean pads work better. I would recommend 3 to 4 polishing pads per car so spend less time cleaning pads. You can try the Finishing Glaze with blue first.

Probably going to receive hell for this. But as an Auto Body Detailer I say.

1 pad for each step will do.

It wont be super perfect but no need to spend so much money when you'll just be doing one car.

Before
View attachment 17652
After
View attachment 17653
View attachment 17654
I sacraficed a pad but oh well it was worth it.

I just added 3M rubbing compound for the compounding step. would try it out with a yellow pad but used this wool attachment View attachment 17655

The lifetime warranty sounds great btw didnt know about it but used this kit.
But I imagine the kit your looking at can do the same.
View attachment 17656

Hi again Guys....

If you don't mind , I'd like to keep my project & questions in this one thread for my quick reference...

I'm doing a lot of reading and watching the informative videos and starting to get a background on what I want to do..
I plan on doing this in 3 weeks , when I'm off from work a few days.

First , here's a picture of a rock chip that I tried to fix..( I know..terrible..this car has been neglected since day one)

How can I fix this before I start my detailing?
I believe that I should have gone more aggressive than the Wolfgang's treatment but
I wanted to go slow at the beginning
( any answers and/or video links ..appreciated)

My 2009 Rav4

My days off starts next Tues...

Bummer...weather says 20% rain Tues & Weds...after that Thunder Storms come in..:(

anyway...I'm going ahead...one day will be interior and wheels, the other day, the polishing and waxing.

Questions;

1) My roof has 4 ridges...do I go about it with no concerns?

2) Plastic Tire cover, can I polish that too? ( has swirl marks too)

Thxs

Mike

P.S.- I will tackle the chips another time

Concentrate more on the rest of the car. I like to start with exterior (personal preference) and just glaze the chips to see what happens. (Might not be as noticable)

Once you correct the paint (remove swirl marks) it will be a routine to take care of your hard work (but doable) But the job will be really easy to take care of after you do the correction.

What do you mean plastic tire cover? Hub Caps?

View attachment 18178

And the ridges? If by the edges. Yes tape them first before doing any work on your car.

If your whole car looks like the picture you posted. Then I would say yes it is fixable.

Post a picture so we can see

My days off starts next Tues...

Bummer...weather says 20% rain Tues & Weds...after that Thunder Storms come in..:(

anyway...I'm going ahead...one day will be interior and wheels, the other day, the polishing and waxing.

Questions;

1) My roof has 4 ridges...do I go about it with no concerns?

2) Plastic Tire cover, can I polish that too? ( has swirl marks too)

Thxs

Mike

P.S.- I will tackle the chips another time

As always you will want to tape off or stay away from buffing on any body line as those have the potential to be very thin when it comes to the amount of paint on them.

As for the tire cover I would guess you are talking about a spare tire in the back of a jeep that has a plastic paint shell covering it? If so then yes that can be polished as well

Back