PC 7424 not spinning when pressure is applied.

Saluki2003

Reaction score
I have the Meguiars DA MF kit and its taking forever to work out these swirls! I can barely put any pressure on it before the pad stops spinning. I've watched the demo video and and read several "how to's". I primed the pad and am only using 2 or 3 pea sized dots after the pad is primed. But when I set it at the speed recommended by Meguiars my PC doesn't want to spin when I apply even a little pressure.

I cleaned the pad regularly with compressed air and it doesn't feel as though the pad is saturated. The only think I can think of is maybe I wasn't using a thick enough gauge extension cord. I was doing the work at my friends garage so I'm not sure what the gauge of the extension cord was but I'm going to get back at it tomorrow and will make sure to use the proper gauge cord.

Can you guys give me some direction here. Should I just up the speed to where it does spin freely while applying the 10-14 lbs pressure?

My pc is the same. I've learned for correction i always have to use speed 6. I've read that's not uncommon with the pc

Sent from my SCH-L710 using AG Online

4 - 4.5 for cutting
3 for finishing wax

With the MF system I use speed 5 on the PC... It's slightly under powered compared to basically ALL the other DA style tools so you have to bump the speed dial up a bit. On speed 5 you should be able to use a decent amount of pressure without having to worry about the pad rotation stopping.

Since you didn't specify pad size hope you're using the recommended one. For the PC the 5" pad is recommended.

Yeah its with the 5" pads. Thanks for the help guys! I'll let you know how well it works out tomorrow.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AG Online

I agree with Nick the PC is underpowered so you will want to bump up the speed when using it. Just keep and eye on the pad and don't forget to mark that backing plate. Make sure you are using about 12-15 pounds of down pressure on the head of the pc. Make sure those pads don't get too hot this will cause them to fail prematurely and keep those pads clean with compressed air if you have it

Same thing happened to me first time using my pc last week. Problem is I didn't know what was happening because I forgot to mark the plate or in my case the pad itself since the plate was black. Once I did that I realized it wasn't actually spinning or at least not all the time. I applied more pressure and that helped believe it or not. Also found 6 was much easier to control than 5.

I love using MF buffing pads with the PC because it spins them very easily compared to comparable foam pads and you can get better results by actually turning the pad slower as in just barely rotating it. Running a PC at 5 or6 on my experience is very hard on the hands because of vibration and it doesn't give me as good results as spinning them slowly as far as MF pads go.

Now the argument with MF pads is that they don't finish down as good as foam. That is true on some soft paints but on harder clearcoats the MF pads finish down beautifully especially the Lake Country DA MF pads.

With the MF system I use speed 5 on the PC... It's slightly under powered compared to basically ALL the other DA style tools so you have to bump the speed dial up a bit. On speed 5 you should be able to use a decent amount of pressure without having to worry about the pad rotation stopping.

I'd agree with the above.

The reason "Meguiar's" doesn't recommend the highest settings on ANY DA polisher is because you'll generate enough heat at the center of the backing plate that it can cause pad failure.

The video I made with Jason Rose and Mike Pennington is incredibly detailed as to how to use the system with the Meguiar's G110v2, which is the same "type" of tool as the Porter Cable 7424XP and all previous models but the power in the PC for rotating a pad comes at the 5-6 setting only.

Same thing happened to me first time using my pc last week. Problem is I didn't know what was happening because I forgot to mark the plate or in my case the pad itself since the plate was black. Once I did that I realized it wasn't actually spinning or at least not all the time. I applied more pressure and that helped believe it or not. Also found 6 was much easier to control than 5.

This is why it's important to mark your backing plate, the REASON why is because it's hard for the human eye to EASILY see if the pad/backing plate are rotating. If you mark your backing plate it is very easy. A very simple tip and technique that I do to all my DA backing plates, here's my article and video on it...

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

Check this article out too...

Factors that can cause a pad to stop rotating on a DA Polisher

Just to note, both of the above can be found in my article list which is huge. Look for more DA specific articles under this picture...

Dual Action Polishers
PC7424XP2.jpg
MegsG110v2.jpg

GriotsPolisher.jpg
3inchGriots.jpg

I'd also recommend reading my article on troubleshooting issues with DA Polishers, it's in my article list and also in my how-to book. In fact, it's the first article under the above pictures.

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback Book

Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine
E-book

:xyxthumbs:

Many of the post here talk about the heat build up on the pad. I have a few of the flat pads that have a very soft center after use on my truck but they did get hotter than they should have. Is the heat due to a higher speed, using for too long, too much product or the pressure used? I use a speed setting of 5.2 to 5.5 (about) on the PC during the correction?

Mike, thank you for the response! I've been watching your videos and reading your articles a lot in the last few weeks after I got my Mustang. I've been trying to learn everything I can to make her look her best.

In going to work on her some more today and will try a little higher speed and let you guys know the results.

Thanks guys...this site is amazing!!!

Sent from my ADR6300 using AG Online

Back