How can I get old adhesive off of my headlights?

AliMusa

Reaction score
A few years ago, back in my teenage days, I thought it was cool to have a blue vinyl over my headlights. After a while, I got tired of them and realized how stupid and unsafe they were to have on. However, when I took them off, there was so much leftover adhesive and I couldn't get it off no matter how hard I tried and no matter what I used. Still today, that adhesive is still there and still won't come off no matter what I use. I've tried alcohol, gasoline, goo gone, a heat gun with a razor, and still nothing! Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get this stuff off once and for all?

A few years ago, back in my teenage days, I thought it was cool to have a blue vinyl over my headlights. After a while, I got tired of them and realized how stupid and unsafe they were to have on. However, when I took them off, there was so much leftover adhesive and I couldn't get it off no matter how hard I tried and no matter what I used. Still today, that adhesive is still there and still won't come off no matter what I use. I've tried alcohol, gasoline, goo gone, a heat gun with a razor, and still nothing! Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get this stuff off once and for all?

Sounds like maybe a headlight restoration will be in order.
Meguiars Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit, Meguiars G3000, headlight polishing kit, severe headlight polishing kit, how to polish

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/50172-headlight-sander-takes-work-out-sanding-headlights.html

Have you tried nail polish remover? If all that other stuff didn't work, I doubt it would... But I used it this past weekend to get some old adhesive off a relatives headlight and it worked well.

No, not nail polish remover. That will melt something.

Try baby oil. If not, then get more aggressive with cleaner polishes. Move on to compounds. If none of that works, I gotta go with TYamaha above. Sounds like a headlight restoration.

Back