1983 Chev Malibu

Triple Shine

Reaction score
Going to look at and give an estimate to a customer that has this vehicle. He says he has spider web type scratches after washing his car with dish soap (ouch)!

If its not base / clear coat paint, do the same rules apply for compounding them out? LC Orange pad with some M102 or Menzerna FG400 should do the trick yes?

You may want to read this article for a better understanding of single-stage paint:
AutoTraderClassics.com - Article Restoring Single Stage Paint: Part 1

"Moisturizing" SS paint with an oil-rich product such as Meguiar's M07 will make it a lot easier to polish. Otherwise the parched paint will soak up the moisture from the compound and you'll have a pad caked up with dry material, ineffective at accomplishing your objectives. Another old-school Meg's product that works well on SS paint is M80 Speed Glaze.

Bill

Read the whole article... (Was very informative)

Same rules don't apply for single stage paint.

Check it out...

Not sure about the wash part
But you'll still have to clay
Then use Meguiars No. 7 (i think)

Don't know the exact specs of the car your talking about. The article covers a 73' Lincoln Continental

Read the article but dont forget to do test spot because it may have been repainted along the way with a 2 stage paint.
Good luck and post pics if you get the job!

Great article.

Thanks for the link!

Had a look this morning, looks like cracks in the paint, like a dried out riverbed would appeal - but you can't feel them. I should've snapped a picture, it definitely looks to be single stage paint though. I believe they call the term 'checking' does that sound right?

Not sure if he wants to do it as the car is sold and he's going to suggest it to the new owner that he call me.....I'd love to tackle this job though.

Great article.

Thanks for the link!

Had a look this morning, looks like cracks in the paint, like a dried out riverbed would appeal - but you can't feel them. I should've snapped a picture, it definitely looks to be single stage paint though. I believe they call the term 'checking' does that sound right?

Definitely conditions of older SS lacquer paint. Not much you can do with it other than make it shine. My El Camino has a few areas with the same condition. Do NOT use aggressive sanding or compounding in those areas-it will just open up the cracks even wider. I recommended Mike P's SS paint restoration process since it was so successful on my Camino with the same paint. I now do the process every year before show/cruise season. Clay, multiple M07 apps with at least one overnight soak, polish with M80, PW Black Hole glaze, then use waxes that don't streak or leave white residue in the cracks. Optimum Car Wax or DuraGloss Aqua Wax works well for me, followed by Meguiar's M26 or Gold Class as a final topper. Despite its multitude of paint maladies, my Camino has earned a few trophies when I've chosen to enter it in a judged show, which is why I'm such a disciple of Mike's SS process.
IMG_15141.jpg

Personally, I'd love to take on the job. Due to the time invested, it could never be a moneymaker, but the pride of accomplishment when you bring a "left for dead" paint job back to an acceptable level is so rewarding.
Bill

At what point are cars no longer recommended to be washed (traditionally with water hose, etc)

Definitely conditions of older SS lacquer paint. Not much you can do with it other than make it shine. My El Camino has a few areas with the same condition. Do NOT use aggressive sanding or compounding in those areas-it will just open up the cracks even wider. I recommended Mike P's SS paint restoration process since it was so successful on my Camino with the same paint. I now do the process every year before show/cruise season. Clay, multiple M07 apps with at least one overnight soak, polish with M80, PW Black Hole glaze, then use waxes that don't streak or leave white residue in the cracks. Optimum Car Wax or DuraGloss Aqua Wax works well for me, followed by Meguiar's M26 or Gold Class as a final topper. Despite its multitude of paint maladies, my Camino has earned a few trophies when I've chosen to enter it in a judged show, which is why I'm such a disciple of Mike's SS process.
IMG_15141.jpg

Personally, I'd love to take on the job. Due to the time invested, it could never be a moneymaker, but the pride of accomplishment when you bring a "left for dead" paint job back to an acceptable level is so rewarding.
Bill

This why I don't like to wash cars only buff them. I'm more of a restorer.

And thanks to AGO i have learned "proper ways"

Always learning though

At what point are cars no longer recommended to be washed (traditionally with water hose, etc)

I don't know how the pros decide that, but my criteria is whether or not the vehicle is being driven. If it's a show car or garage queen that gets no use, I don't want excess water accumulating in areas where it won't dry quickly, so it's a rinseless or waterless wash.

Bill

Back