PDA

View Full Version : Sealant after glaze or not???

Pages : [1] 2

runrun411
05-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Should I apply a sealant after glazing or should I just go to wax after glaze? I read on a post that glaze keeps the sealant from curing onto the paint. True or not?

swanicyouth
05-17-2013, 08:14 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60946

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60869

I did some tests (on glass) with PB's Black Hole and Powerlock (and others). From what I did, I found the glaze didn't affect the sealant much if it all. The tests I did didn't take into account time though, just chemical resistance. I think if your using a modern acrylic type glaze (BH, WG 2.0, Amigo) you can top it with a sealant. If your using Meg's #7, it may not be a good idea.

I do it all the time without an issue.

FUNX650
05-17-2013, 08:26 AM
IMHO...
There are far too many variables to make an empirical statement
that products will, or will not, work together.

-As Mr. Phillips has mentioned on occasion: "Synergy".

With that in mind:
-Are the glaze and sealant from the same brand's product-line?

-Within a same brand, the manufacturer/Chemist usually designs the products to work together.

-I'll mention that sometimes mixing different brands, with differing chemistries/formulations,
has proven to not be, let's say: 'very productive'.

Another set of Mike Phillips' words-of-wisdom": "Test Spot"
-Do you have the time and patience to do a:

Sealant
Glaze...Real-World-experiment?

:)

Bob

silverfox
05-17-2013, 08:48 AM
CG Blackilght is both a glaze and a sealant (and you can top it with either another sealant or a wax). Its really something that should be on every shelf because its really versatile.

CG EZ Creme glaze is a perfect post-polish, pre-LSP product. It cleans any polishing oils left over (no need for IPA wipedown), is an excellent glaze, and you can Top it with either a sealant or wax.

c8n
05-17-2013, 09:03 AM
CG Blackilght is both a glaze and a sealant (and you can top it with either another sealant or a wax). Its really something that should be on every shelf because its really versatile.

CG EZ Creme glaze is a perfect post-polish, pre-LSP product. It cleans any polishing oils left over (no need for IPA wipedown), is an excellent glaze, and you can Top it with either a sealant or wax.

Is the CG Blacklight = Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish?
How is the durability on this? I might have to look into this as I don't want to polish out every little scratch on my DD and take away the preciously thin clear coat.
I also like the fact that it has anti-static properties to repell dust?

inDetail
05-17-2013, 09:38 AM
CG Blacklight is insane. It should be on everyone's shelf. It gets great reviews and I was able to scoop a sample from a friend. It's a nice quick one step to get glaze and sealant properties and go straight to wax. Easy on and easy off. It has a long work time so you can let the fine abrasives bevel light swirls even longer. It does everything it claims to do and more. It also makes a nice AIO because of the fine abrasive qualities. You can knock two or three products off your shelf and replace it with one. I'm still waiting on the longevity test but so far so good. It's been two weeks and It's lasting. It's a bit pricey but being able to replace a glaze, sealant, and possibly your AIO on your shelf it's a no brainer.

c8n
05-17-2013, 09:50 AM
It has abrasives? Eh... then it's probably not for me.

SYMAWD
05-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Sealant usually needs to be applied to bare paint. Sealant should have no fillers, so a glaze on top should still fill. You can then top with wax to protect the sealant.

runrun411
05-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Sealant usually needs to be applied to bare paint. Sealant should have no fillers, so a glaze on top should still fill. You can then top with wax to protect the sealant.

I see your point but wouldn't putting a glaze on top of sealant demise the sealant since some glazes may have a very fine abrasion as well as fillers?

c8n
05-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Not to mention, wouldn't you want to lock in the glaze with the sealant? I think it's probably better to find a glaze/sealant combination that works well with each other in my opinion.

SYMAWD
05-17-2013, 10:17 AM
I see your point but wouldn't putting a glaze on top of sealant demise the sealant since some glazes may have a very fine abrasion as well as fillers?

Find a non abrasive glaze. Sealant bonds to paint. Glaze and wax stick to paint. If the glaze goes down first, the sealant will only be on the glaze not the paint, then durability will be reduced to that of the glaze.

SYMAWD
05-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Not to mention, wouldn't you want to lock in the glaze with the sealant? I think it's probably better to find a glaze/sealant combination that works well with each other in my opinion.

Lock the glaze in with a wax.

c8n
05-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Lock the glaze in with a wax.

Yeah but wax is not going to last as long as a sealant which would mean you would have to apply the glaze more frequently.

SYMAWD
05-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah but wax is not going to last as long as a sealant which would mean you would have to apply the glaze more frequently.

But sealant won't last long either if it is on top of a glaze.

c8n
05-17-2013, 11:06 AM
But sealant won't last long either if it is on top of a glaze.

Understood and for me, would like to see glaze and sealant that plays with it each other nicely if such a thing exists?

CG Blacklight was a candidate but it appears it has abrasives?
Glaze/sealant combo without abrasives would be nice.