need diagnose: where the odor comes from

szjalo

Reaction score
So I recently found my car having a slight smelly odor. it's hard to describe what's is it like, but to my nose it's kinda like some sweaty clothes (or may be not).

To get rid of the smell, I did a thorough shampoo. cleaned all the carpets, upholstery. Cleaned cabinet AC filter . hot water extracted all the seats (fabric) and sprayed 303 fabric guard on it. But the smell is still there.

I try to stick my nose around but cannot find out the origin of the smell, all the fabric surfaces smell like 303 protectant (special chemical smell, extremely light).

Later I found the smell only exists when I walk in the car after it sits long in the sun, and only exist when the AC has been off. when I turn on the AC, within 1 min, the odor will be gone.

So this is kinda weird because I thought if the problem is in the AC system, blowing the AC will only make it worse. Am I right? Now I am totally confused and cannot find any solution to get rid of it

Any one has ideas where should I look at ?

Most likely that its either the glue on the carpet is starting to degrade ( much like old German cars) or two there something in your HVAC.

I would try steam cleaning your vents thoroughly

Then I would use an Ozone Generator @ medium for about an hour.

I'm a little confused when you say the smell goes away after you run the A/C for a minute, does it start when you put the A/C on? Sometimes a dirty evaporator will do that, when you first turn the A/C on it will smell bad, then may become less noticeable, then you may smell it again if you turn the A/C off (with the car/fan still running). If that is what you have try some 1Z Klima-Clean.

1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Treatment
1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner (ETU) Easy-To-Use

If that isn't what you meant, are you sure you don't have some sort of leak that is causing a wet area and mildew?

Check your drain tube on your evaporator. These can get plugged off and the water, dirt etc. gets stagnent in the heater core/ evap box. A simple test is do you see water dripping out under the passenger side of the car after the car is turned off when the AC was in operation? No water usually means plugged drain.

Back