leather dye results

steveo3002

Reaction score
i recently picked up some used car seats , the outer bolsters were not up to standard and i looked into new pieces and various dye/paint/repair options
i decided after lots of reading that i needed a water based dye kit, i went with leathermagic and got the £34 gbp repair kit
heres what the leather looked like when i had removed it from the foam and base
leatherdye002.jpg

leatherdye003.jpg

leatherdye001.jpg

the instructions state you should wipe the leather down with the solution included (alcohol i think ) and then sad the leather with the 220 paper that comes in the kit...alot of the minor creases and cracks sand out at this stage
heres the sanded leather
leatherdye005.jpg

leatherdye004.jpg

next job...wipe on 3-4 thin coats of dye and you have the option to spray the final coat with a sprayer thats included
i was very happy with the results , most of the cracks and creases are gone or improved and the bolster easily looks as good as a one year old part (its 11 yrs old really) im not easily pleased and had my doubts about doing this, but im fully satisfied and couldnt expect any better unless i paid for brand new leather. it still feels and looks just like it should and it doesnt smell bad of chemicals at all...pics look a little patchy but its very nice in person
leatherdyyedone007.jpg

leatherdyyedone006.jpg

heres the dyed one next to the passenger seat for comparision(the drivers one was worse that that )
leatherdyyedone003.jpg

heres a gear knob i refurbed...no before pic but the colour was worn away on the stitching
leatherdyyedone002.jpg

ive only used about 5% of the kit , so its great value..i just hope it lasts a few years

It looks a lot better. I never heard of sanding leather before.

Wow! I would not have thought that possible. Nice tip and very nice work.

Really sanding leather? I agree never heard of it but you got realy nice results. I like the before and afters. Interesting.

looks awesome. definitely something i need to try before i spend the money recovering mine

that's great to know there are options..boy, you learn so much stuff here at AG!!

yes really on the sanding !!

it only really touches the original paint/dye or whatever you choose to call the finish, once you get down to the skin it doesnt really touch that, it just smooths any nicks or sharp bits

it came out better than i expected

Back