PDA

View Full Version : Questions about random smears

charleyh2
05-25-2013, 10:24 AM
I have been stepping up my game and spending my time researching and perfecting my techniques with detailing. The results I am getting are far batter that I had achieved previously. This thanks to all of you on the forum who share you experiences and knowledge.

Today I am asking for some advice, constructive feedback, whatever to address an issue I am having with my system/process. The issue is light smearing that is only visible if you hold your head right and the light is just right. Very hard to see and in my attempts to capture in a picture, I failed. The smears are similar to those one might see on the front of their iPhone, ( or smartphone ). They wipe right off, but after washing, they reappear, causing me much pain in that I must work to find them and then remove them. I first noticed them the day after I spent my weekend detailing my wife's car when she pulled into the garage and the light hit the car. They are random and not consistent across the whole vehicle.

My assessment is that they are product that is somehow re-activated and curing as if it were just applied or is not setting up. All the products I am using are Griots. I always try to stay with one manufacturer in hopes that they formulate their products to play nice versus using random products for each step. I have thought temp/humidity as I live in Charleston, SC. I work in a the garage to help with temperature of the paint, but there is little I can do about humidity. It's not even that bad yet as we are only in May. July and August are the bad months for this here, so I thought I was safer.

I will list out products used and show pics to help.

Products: ( All Griots )
Machine polish #3
Paint sealant
Premium Carnuba wax on top of sealant
Separate, (different color and consistency) MF towels for each process are used to avoid cross contamination.

Process / System:
washed car with dawn and then clayed
polished with #3 on Griots orange pad
re-washed car with dawn and then wiped down with IPA
applied sealant and allowed to cure for 2hrs, ( Griots say an hour but I found the product was not set up until around the 2hr mark)
Then waited about 18 hrs and topped with the premium wax.

All work and products applied with Griots 6" and 3" DA, except for the prem-wax which applied with 3" red pad by hand.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_03324.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_03301.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_12342.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_12363.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_12433.jpg

This is the first time that I have topped a sealant with a wax, etc. I have only used a good quality wax in the past. I wonder if I should have waited longer before applying, or not applied it all. It could all be in my technique and I am willing to accept that to. Detailing is the one thing that I have found I have deep passion for. My goal is to get out there with the best. Every time I see some of the cars on here that some of you have done, I am that much more determined to get my technique perfected. This recent snag has really impacted my confidence.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated so that I can rid myself of these smears that I now see in my sleep.

ComradeGrumbles
05-25-2013, 11:29 PM
I think I know exactly what type of smearing you're talking about. I read your description, and I'm trying to determine what product could be the cause of that smearing.

Here's my story, maybe it will help. I find that smearing often on my windows, and sometimes on my paint. I've narrowed it down to a few things...

1. Too high of a soap/water ratio with meguiar's Gold Class (Or any other wash)

2. Applying wax/sealant too heavily

3. Continuing to buff wax with towels that are full of wax already

4. Using too much spray detailer. Some types are more forgiving, other's aren't.

Those are just the causes of smearing that I have found in my own process. Maybe you'll find that one or two of them also apply to you.

After re-reading your description, I have two theories.

A. You're using slightly too much wash concentrate in your water. I tend to do this by accident quite often, it happens. :buffing: The reason that the smears are inconsistent could be totally dependent on the panels and how the soapy water runs off of them. The only catch in this theory, however, is that you shouldn't have this issue if you thoroughly rinse. I'm sure you do, so that brings me to theory B.

My second theory is like what you said, "My assessment is that they are product that is somehow re-activated." Could it be that whatever product you apply before the wash was applied very thick? Possibly a wax that was applied thick, not completely buffed off, and then becomes more noticeable after wash?

Hopefully I helped a little. I'm just taking shots at whatever ideas come to mind based on the smearing issue I used to have all the time. Let me know how things go!

hernandez.art13
05-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Your car looks beautiful btw

I couldn't find the smearing in your pictures from what Comrade put it does sound like to much product.

What I would do in this situation is just apply a waterless wash, or quick detailer with a MF towel and see if it gently wipes off.