PDA

View Full Version : License and insurance?

rackfiller
05-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Hello!
I want to get my business license but,I'm confuce
On how to !
I'll be working from home but I have seen that a lot of people
Rather want me to go to their house than drop of their
Car I fell more comfortable working at home but if they prefer
I go to them I have to go.
My question how do I file for my license should I put
I'll be working from home or mobile same goes for insurance ?
I was also told by another person that runs it own business
Diferente field .I was told my bank Chase could help me
Set up a business account and have and accountant
To keep track of my espencess and profits is that right?
And that would be a good choice?
Im only doing this as part time I hope this will change in the
Future as I only do 4 car the most per month.
Any advice!
Thanks in advance.

Wash and wax detailing service.

Nate3420
05-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Well to get a license to work out of home can cause you to be up for a zoning of your property. So if you live In a residential area you probably will be denied because the property won't be zoned as commercial. Second insurance you will need three policies I believe, garage keepers, general liability and workers comp. and as goes with the accountant I would learn how to keep your own books because those accountants can be huge costs and if you take your time it is very easy to keep track of all your business records especially if you use quickbooks

BillE
05-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Check with your city/town/village city hall. Explain to them what you are planning, they will offer the correct information.

Another place for info is your states', Secretary of State office. Your should be able to glean a lot of info (on-line) from them.

Good luck...

Bill

VAS
05-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Are you sure that you need workers comp if you're not hiring anyone?

slimnib
05-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Well to get a license to work out of home can cause you to be up for a zoning of your property. So if you live In a residential area you probably will be denied because the property won't be zoned as commercial. Second insurance you will need three policies I believe, garage keepers, general liability and workers comp. and as goes with the accountant I would learn how to keep your own books because those accountants can be huge costs and if you take your time it is very easy to keep track of all your business records especially if you use quickbooks

Yes and do your own car because detailer charge too much.

Pureshine
05-27-2013, 11:04 AM

No true there are a lot of people doing work out of their garage I do. The only thing the city doesn't want is water going down the storm drain. If you have an HOA they will have to approve your business. My HOA approve mine no problem and I agree quick books is great at the end of the year I just give that to my accountant. I have garage keeps insurance cost $30 a month but its different in every state.

Nate3420
05-27-2013, 11:58 AM
No true there are a lot of people doing work out of their garage I do. The only thing the city doesn't want is water going down the storm drain. If you have an HOA they will have to approve your business. My HOA approve mine no problem and I agree quick books is great at the end of the year I just give that to my accountant. I have garage keeps insurance cost $30 a month but its different in every state.

Trust me man not trying to fight you but I could not open a true business in my garage where I live. They will not approve it. I sure would like to but in my residential area it will not work

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-27-2013, 12:14 PM

It IS true...in some municipalities. It just depends on where you live. I am in Metro Detroit and I cannot run a detailing business from my garage -zoning and city ordinances prohibit it. I am sure quite a few people on the boards work from their garage for money... how many of those are or have attempted to legitimately register with their city or town...? I'd bet not many. Do I have a problem with it...nope. Personally, I chose to lease a building for my detailing activities.

As fas as insurance... I'd love to know where you get garage keepers for $30/month. I pay almost $900/year for 500K liability and 100K for the garage keepers.

To those trying to decide whether or not to carry insurance - you have to decide if it's worth it to you. I have a $1K deductible. ..obviously anything under that comes out of pocket. Accidents DO happen - no matter how good you are. Carrying insurance also lends legitimacy to your image as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

VAS
05-27-2013, 12:22 PM
If you have your business legally set up as a mobile business then you should be allowed to work in your driveway / garage. If anything happens to the car it would just create issues with weather or not your home owners insurance or the business insurance should cover the incident.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
05-27-2013, 12:30 PM
If you have your business legally set up as a mobile business then you should be allowed to work in your driveway / garage. If anything happens to the car it would just create issues with weather or not your home owners insurance or the business insurance should cover the incident.

As far as where you can do work as a legitimate "mobile" detailer is all dependent on that particular municipalities ordinances... mostly in regard to waste water runoff.

Do mobile detailers perform their services where they're technically not allowed to? Sure.

I am not saying you cannot detail your own personal vehicle in your driveway/garage... I am referring to detailing for profit.

The most troubling part of your statement is you thinking your homeowners or "business" insurance will have your back. That cannot be more wrong. General liability will not cover you either if something happens to a customer's vehicle. Only garage keeper's insurance will cover actual damage to the vehicle.