PDA

View Full Version : New/Old member to my arsenal and questions

Pages : [1] 2

hernandez.art13
05-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Today I went to go retrieve my old SnapOn polisher. I also wet sanded my uncle's black BMW, because after it was painted. The orange peel was never wet sanded off.

I wet sanded up to 2500 and tried using my PC try and remove the sanding marks but didn't work. (Didn't think it was anyway)

So I then used my rotary polisher with the yellow pad and some 3M compound and took it right off (easily)

I then followed it with my PC 5.5" orange pad with a my medium swirl remover from Poor Boys, then with a white pad and super swirl remover light abrasive.
(Is is this jeweling?)

Then just put some Collinite 476s

I just did a small test spot on the flat panel of the fender it was really easy and simple.

I also did another test spot with my PC and orange pad with my light swirl remover on the hood to take off the water marks. (Took them right off)

^here you can see the orange peel

^This is buff and polished off

What should I have done differently? (Constructive criticism only please)

Also the backing plate on my SnapOn is for large wool and foam pads, so another question is, should I get a smaller backing plate? Like the 5" so I can use my Lake Country CCS 6.5" pads or should I get larger pads?

I kind of like using the 6.5" pads on the rotary.

The pad is obviously smaller then the larger backing plate on SnapOn so just picked a flat panel on the fender to compound off then switched to my PC

hernandez.art13
05-28-2013, 12:58 AM
This is the hood
Swirl marks, could not capture the water marks

^after

BobbyG
05-28-2013, 05:39 AM
The finish came out great! :dblthumb2:

There's nothing like rotary to kick things into high gear to produce stunning results. I used to use larger pads on my rotaries but now the 6 1/2" are the largest I use. They're easier on me and the machine and much easier to control....:props:

hernandez.art13
05-28-2013, 09:10 AM
The 5.5" pad did feel a lot more productive on my PC than the 6.5" pads

However the 6.5" pads on the rotary did feel like I had more precision control (sharper knife maybe the example I am looking for) opposed to the larger pads I used to use

I think I am going to switch to a 5" backing plate on the rotary so I can use the 6.5" pads, I already have, plus they can always be used (if need be) on my PC

My cousin and my two uncles were telling me "dang you come and detail and on top of it, you make the paint smell delicious" (because the poor boys swirl removers smell like bubble gum haha)

What I do want to invest in is the Brinkmann MaxFire Dual Xenon Rechargeable Swirl Finder Spotlight

hernandez.art13
05-28-2013, 09:16 AM
I also was telling my uncle about opti coat and he did seem interested.

I was telling him how I can seal it with some Menzerna, but most sealants last from 3-6 months, but told him that Opti Coat is permanent. (So might be opti coating this car)

Also I need to bring a better camera, my Iphone camera is not cutting it. (There's a pun there haha, unintended)

That and some vinyl tape

swanicyouth
05-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Nice work Art! Do you know what type of black that BMW is? (Color code)

hernandez.art13
05-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Nice work Art! Do you know what type of black that BMW is? (Color code)

I sent him a text right now asking him about the model and color code and he said 335i and said "no I don't know the color code lol"

swanicyouth
05-28-2013, 09:38 AM
I sent him a text right now asking him about the model and color code and he said 335i and said "no I don't know the color code lol"

I was wondering if its Jett Black or Black Sapphire Metallic. If its the later, you may be Detailer of the Year, 'cause that color is hard to work with.

One interesting thing you did was use a LC yellow pad. Nobody uses these, everyone goes to microfiber. I use those pads sometimes as well (apposed to MF) and they will take off anything.

hernandez.art13
05-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Yeah been reading and watching and everyone uses MF pads, the only reason I didn't use them is because I don't have them lol

However foam pads were very easy to use. what would be the difference if I switched to MF pads?

Yeah there was no metallic so I guess it was jet black lol

That car if done is going to be a mission, probably have my cousin to come to help me so we can tag team it, since it will be done for free. I told my uncle that I can wet sand the orange peel off, compound it > yellow pad, orange pad >medium swirl remover, light swirl > white pad

If you looked at it to long you would see a minor swirl lol (exaggerating)

I went a couple of hours later and to check on it (out of detailer curiosity) and it already had dust haha

I think opti coat will be necessary on this car. (Never used it but it does look promising)

VAS
05-28-2013, 12:10 PM
For resprayed paint, especially black I use a rotory polisher with 3M perfect it 3000 paint system, and color coded pads. On black I follow the system's directions perfectly. On any other color I go from the first step to the 3rd step, while using the 2nd steps pad. This will produce a show car finish. Topped with a wax will give you the smoothest finish, but I usually use a sealer as it's the FIRST sealing protection on new paint. I've never used opticoat, but on fresh paint that is completely free of defects it seems like the perfect time to try it, and lock in that finish.

hernandez.art13
05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
I went to the SnapOn location down the street from me to see if they sold the u handle (don't know the name)

And had them weigh it lol

BillyJack
05-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Also the backing plate on my SnapOn is for large wool and foam pads, so another question is, should I get a smaller backing plate? Like the 5" so I can use my Lake Country CCS 6.5" pads or should I get larger pads?

I kind of like using the 6.5" pads on the rotary.

The pad is obviously smaller then the larger backing plate on SnapOn so just picked a flat panel on the fender to compound off then switched to my PC

I agree with Bobby; Get yourself a smaller plate so you can use pads on both the rotary and D/A. I learned to buff with rotary and wool and still have a single-speed, metal case Rockwell polisher I bought around 1980. Since I bought my GG, I don't do much rotary work anymore, but I have still one of them loaded with a 6" plate for any areas that need serious correction. If I have a really nasty area, out comes the old Rockwell with the rubber plate and screw-on big wool pads. Precision and control just seem to be so much easier with the smaller pad and it's a lot less stressful (not to mention being easier on my aging arms).

Bill

Wheelzntoys
05-28-2013, 12:21 PM
You need 6" BP for for 6.5" pads.

Flex-Foam HD Rotary Backing Plate, circular polisher backing plate, 6 inch backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/rotary-6inch-backing-plate.html)

hernandez.art13
05-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Today I went to a new local auto paint detail store.

I told them I use a DA to avoid holograms. She was an old lady that said she had been running the business for 20yrs (grumpy lol) I have always went to another paint supply store, through my family and now Auto Geek.

She said holograms are caused because of using oil based compounds instead water based compounds (or vice e versa)

She did sound like she knew what she was talking about, knew exactly what holograms were, with zero hesitation.

Does anybody know what she is talking about? I just said "oh ok, thank you" cos she was a grumpy old lady lol (with all due respect)

I guy next to me was listening to my conversation and after started a conversation with me. Turned out he worked for Meguiar's. he said he is more of a business distributor for paint supply stores and auto body shops.

Vegas Transplant
05-29-2013, 09:16 AM
What's the model#, or the rpm range of the SnapOn polisher?
Looking for something in the 4-6000 range.