PDA

View Full Version : Lease Return Special!

c8n
06-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Looks like I might be working on a friend's newly acquired, new to him, white MB ML350 soon. Went to take a look at it this past weekend to see what I will be dealing with. Other than the car being filthy and having some light swirls and scratches here and there, looks like it had one of those lease return special paint jobs. There were excess paint on some of the rubber trims (sloppy job) and in addition, he told me that the car was purchased at an auction. I believe the car was a 2010 or 2009 and all these factors makes me believe that this car probably had that lease return special paint jobs.

Just curious, do they use OEM paint for these lease return specials? My understanding is that MB paint can be generally hard but what should I expect on this lease return special paint jobs?

Since I don't do this for a living, I would like to limit the amount of products that I need to take with me.

Vegas Transplant
06-03-2013, 08:40 AM
OEM paint, no. For the most part these vehicles are conditioned by contractors to the dealer.
Usually mobile operators (chain and independents) performing on the lot.
Much of what they're trying to hide can easily be uncovered, causing you and the owner grief.
Test spot and go least aggressive, look carefully for defects before spinning your wheel on the paint.

c8n
06-03-2013, 08:56 AM
^Thanks for the info.... and I actually had a bottle of SwirlX with me at the time. Should have done a test spot when I was there at least by hand to gauge the correctability of the paint. Damn me!

Vegas Transplant
06-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Say, for instance, if the hood of that '09-10 vehicle looks pristine, it's probably been repainted. Or, if there's a few chip repairs hear and there, and for the most part no pit marks from sand/salt, then it's probably been color tinted airbrushed.
If you uncover the road rash, it's a high probability that whatever polish that you use will highlight these newly exposed defects, and your wheel could possibly remove some of the chip fills.
One particular detail that comes to mind was a passerby who saw me detailing in S.E. DC, and showed me his highly polished, yet water-spotted Lexus and asked me for an appointment. This car was freshly back from the production detail shop...blinged out...yet the waterspots remained.
On appointment day, after washing the car, test spot OHC/OMF Polishing Pad,the sun broke through the clouds revealing that the waterspots were beneath the respray, and not correctable. The color was starting to lighten up, and a closer inspection revealed the truth. Ol' boy paid me for a AOI/OOS, interior (carpets and seats were also dyed~poorly if I must say so) and I gained a valued maint. customer on this blue beauty.

One other point of interest, even the wheels had been refinished, and could bee seen by the fact that the lug nut openings had been taped off and the demarcation lines were highly visible. To me this indicates being refinished on the tire, and probably on the vehicle...BIG RED FLAG.

c8n
06-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Oh boy.... looks like I am in for a treat! :(

Vegas Transplant
06-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Great learning experience if you can read sign and cut trail like a true Geek. Otherwise, could be a headache. No telling how many dealers had their hands on the vehicle before it went to auction, making their repairs and collecting their profits before landing in the purchasers garage.
Personally, I have faith in your abilities and knowledge :props:

c8n
06-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks and I appreciate the confidence!

And to think.... I will be doing this for a free tint on my car... bad deal :(

Vegas Transplant
06-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Bartering is a great way to save money on that which you receive.
I lost on one of my last barters, speakerbox/amp, but profited nicely on several deals that included tools. Also picked up referral that is now maint. cust. in the process.
On my way out the door...have a wonderful AutoGeekian day :dblthumb2:

slimnib
06-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Looks like I might be working on a friend's newly acquired, new to him, white MB ML350 soon. Went to take a look at it this past weekend to see what I will be dealing with. Other than the car being filthy and having some light swirls and scratches here and there, looks like it had one of those lease return special paint jobs. There were excess paint on some of the rubber trims (sloppy job) and in addition, he told me that the car was purchased at an auction. I believe the car was a 2010 or 2009 and all these factors makes me believe that this car probably had that lease return special paint jobs.

Just curious, do they use OEM paint for these lease return specials? My understanding is that MB paint can be generally hard but what should I expect on this lease return special paint jobs?

Since I don't do this for a living, I would like to limit the amount of products that I need to take with me.

Never buy a car off an used car lot,unless it is the use car lot of the new car dealer of the car you are buying.

They generally save the last cars for their lots.