Orange peal new toyota

mbkite

Reaction score
We leased two 2013 toyota s and I can't find any orange peal looks like they are painting better these days any one else notice this.

I think you both just got lucky. I've seen the new 2013 FRs from scion with orange peal. Unless they both use different painting technique but orange peal will still be on luck. Usually it's not all over the car sometime it's on the from bumper like the FRS I saw. I also saw an orange frs with flawless mirror like paint too. It looked amazing.

Yes frs do look good all polished up I wish I could polish that good..

Wow! What model and color? To me, it seems that 95% all cars have some sort of orange peel.

My 07 camry has some orange peel also, nice to hear its been corrected!

Sent from my DROID X2 using AG Online

why is it that almost all cars nowadays have orange peel?can the manufacturer do something about it?

why is it that almost all cars nowadays have orange peel?can the manufacturer do something about it?

It's a consequence of depositing paint as a spray/mist. When I was reading up on this, there are apparently a bunch of factors that affect the degree of orange peel. The nozzle, distance, velocity, temperature, additives, etc. It's also allegedly more of an issue with today's water-based paints.

Once the factory picks all its settings, since the paint spraying is done by computer controlled robotic arms, it's suppose to be very repeatable from car to car. So, if the hood has slightly less OP than the doors, that should be the case on all of that model car painted on the same line (until someone changes some setting or the paint mix).

There are even orange peel measurement instruments so they can monitor consistency (they cost about 30-80 grand so not a DIY instrument):
https://www.byk.com/en/instruments/products/appearance-measurement/orange-peel-doi-meter.html

Short of wet sanding the entire car after the paint has cured (and 99.9% of car owners would not be willing to add this cost to their car), there's going to be some degree of orange peel.

A couple other interesting thing I read (but take these with a grain of salt since I'm not sure how "official" the source was):

1) auto manufacturers don't seek to minimnize OP because it can help mask minor defects in panels such as spot weld marks.

2) "Leveling" additives can be added to make the orange peel less visible once it cures, but the consequence is a softening of the paint.

Back