Vinyl Decals and Stripes

Azure

Reaction score
I'm slowly obtains the products I need to remove some swirls and if possible, some etching from acid rain or other chemicals. I know I won't be able to remove them all, but anyways, I have a question about vinyl stripes. I have a few, one on my hood and on both lower doors, and finally one on the rear bumper.

View attachment 19108
^Here's part of the one on my hood. You'll notice it's an older stripe and has some mild curling of the edges. How should I work around these stripes with the DA buffer pad? Also, when I machine wax, should I avoid doing the vinyl stripes themselves? Thanks!

I'm slowly obtains the products I need to remove some swirls and if possible, some etching from acid rain or other chemicals. I know I won't be able to remove them all, but anyways, I have a question about vinyl stripes. I have a few, one on my hood and on both lower doors, and finally one on the rear bumper.

View attachment 19108
^Here's part of the one on my hood. You'll notice it's an older stripe and has some mild curling of the edges. How should I work around these stripes with the DA buffer pad? Also, when I machine wax, should I avoid doing the vinyl stripes themselves? Thanks!

Tape them off.

You will avoid the risk of possible pulling up the edges and you will also abios getting any compound against the edges which won't look good then you would have to take the time to use a toothpick or a brush to remove with compound from the edge.

Tape them off.

You will avoid the risk of possible pulling up the edges and you will also abios getting any compound against the edges which won't look good then you would have to take the time to use a toothpick or a brush to remove with compound from the edge.

Ok, cool thanks. How about actually machine waxing the vinyl? Tape the edges as well? Or avoid putting the DA on the vinyl period?

Ok, cool thanks. How about actually machine waxing the vinyl? Tape the edges as well? Or avoid putting the DA on the vinyl period?

You can if you would like. You could also try some trim detailer as well!

Here's how-to video Todd and I made together and in it we show taping off the vinyl graphics....

Video: How to create a Whiplash Finish using Blackfire with Todd Helme & Mike Phillips

BlackfireScreenshot004.jpg

You can also....

Burn the tape

That means apply the tape to your chest or pant leg and this will act to reduce the stickiness of the adhesive. The more you do it the less sticky the tape becomes.

:)

I have to agree with Mike, you should burn the tape for your safety. Tried this before and it went well. After 2 years, I have decided to remove and change it to a 3M sticker. It is very durable. It was very easy to take off and it didn't leave any residue. :props:

Back