Some advice please on Pads, Polish and Duragloss

maverick13

Reaction score
Hi

First post - been lurking for quite a while. I recently purchased a new vehicle and using some advice from here and another forum, I detailed it with CQuartz. UTTG, PERL after doing an IronX decontamination and claybar / wash.

I guess I got the bug again from doing that, so I recently picked up a Harbor Freight DA and plan to detail our three older vehicles, a grey Volvo, Honda Element and grey VW Jetta.

I had previously taken care of the Volvo fairly well and used the Zaino line for many years from when I first got it - but after 6 years or so did lose interest so haven't done much since then. The other two vehicles my wife / daughter pretty much just took them thru various car washes (yea, i know)

I am not looking for perfection on these (like I was on my new vehicle), nor to eliminate all defects. But i do want to make them look nice. And I was want something long lasting. So after properly washing, ironx decon them, I plan to use the Duragloss 501/601 combo followed by either Duragloss 105 or 111 in combination with 601. But I also do want to correct some various paint defects / scratches before I do that. So 3 questions:

1. What ONE compound or polish would you recommend that i could use to eliminate some noticeable scratches or defects? Again, I am not looking for perfection so I don't want to use 3 products. I just want one product that will be easy for someone who has not used a DA before to apply and make some spot paint corrections

2. What pad do you recommend I use on my DA for the polish and the Duragloss products? I will get a 5.5 inch backing plate for the DA and was planning on Buff & Shine pads but do not know the specific pads I should use.

3. On the Duragloss, after the 501/601 - would you recommend the 111 or 105?

Thanks

1. What ONE compound or polish would you recommend that i could use to eliminate some noticeable scratches or defects? Again, I am not looking for perfection so I don't want to use 3 products. I just want one product that will be easy for someone who has not used a DA before to apply and make some spot paint corrections.

It sounds like you want a "Cleaner Wax Product( WAx and abrasives mixed into one).

2. What pad do you recommend I use on my DA for the polish and the Duragloss products? I will get a 5.5 inch backing plate for the DA and was planning on Buff & Shine pads but do not know the specific pads I should use.

I recommend to stick with the lake country pads. I'm currently using the Lake Country Hybrid Power and I am loving it. only comes in 6.5 and 5.0 inch

If you decided to go with the 5.5 inch backing plate, your gonna want to get a pad at least 1/2 inch bigger. 6 inch would be ideal if possible. I think 6.5 inch will be too big.

And for types of pads.. I would get 1 polishing pad, 1 finishing pad, and 1 light cutting pad.

For the brand new car the most aggressive pad i would use is the polishing pad. LOL I think lake country has a recommended pad for cleaner waxes :-). Polishing pad will be fine :-)

3. On the Duragloss, after the 501/601 - would you recommend the 111 or 105?

I never used Duragloss before.

Oops. meant to say I will be getting a 5" backing plate so looking at 5.5" pads. Thanks

It's difficult to say. What particular polish works for one finish, might not work on another. In this situation I prefer a medium cut, like Meguiars Swirl X. If I don't get out what I need to in the initial pass, I can usually get with another pass. Ultimate Compound would work in that situation as well.

I like both Hex Logic, and Lake Country CCS pads. Pads can play a role in the equation as well. For example, say you have one polishing product, a light cutting pad, and a polishing pad. You could theoretically assemble a combination suitable to your needs. More polishing action, use the light cutting pad. Less cutting action, use the polishing pad. If I'm using the Hex Logic, I like the green pad with my compound, and the blue with my polish. Lake Country's CCS line is a bit different. I prefer the orange pad for compound and the white or green for polishing. I have a few of each.

As for the Duragloss, I haven't used the bonding agent yet. I've used the 501, 101, & 111 with results beyond my expectations! 111 is my favorite sealant.

My Subaru is satin white pearl. I used to use Z-AIO topped with Z2pro, both by hand. Now I use DG 501/601 with a white 5.5 in LC flat followed by DG 111/601 by hand.

IMO an AIO is a smart move for your first attempt at machine polishing--less chance to get into trouble. For my first "machine polishing" on my Passat I used an AIO (HD Speed) and Buff & Shine pads--excellent pads with recessed velcro. VW paint is hard and my test spot indicated I needed orange pads. My paint had never been polished since new but was in good shape--took 4-6 passes at speed 6 on my Griots with firm pressure. You need at least four pads per step to play it safe--alternate pads so they don't overheat--clean on the fly often.

I think you'd be better off with at least an AIO a little more aggresive than 501.

IMO DG 105 offers a better look and better protection for water spots and bird bombs than 111--I get 5-6 months out of a 601/105 layer.

Back