PDA

View Full Version : Opticoat vs CQuartz

Pages : [1] 2

OCD-tailing
06-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Hello fellow Geeks,
I started a part-time detailing business in November of 2012. Thus far I have detailed about 70 vehicles but I now have a client who is interested in putting a permanent or semi-permanent interior and exterior coating on his brand new Subaru BRZ (black). The car only has a few hundred miles on it so the paint should be in pretty good condition. For those of you have used both products which one would be the best option for a first time user and provide the best outcome for my customer. Also, any tips to insure an awesome result would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Alan Graves
OCD-tailing

poweraid
06-15-2013, 11:11 PM
I've only used oc and I would say the first time I used it I was a little hesitant at the application method . after first panel I did , piece of cake .

now I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything here . but a business for you and you are offering a product and application to a customer that you know little or nothing about ? idk about that .

poweraid
06-15-2013, 11:26 PM
don't get me wrong . u got to learn somewhere . u asking for some help and tips . $70 for a syringe of oc , prob charging customer couple hundo . it's not like applying a wax that's pretty much dummy proof . special and adequate prep , application and removal of unflashed/high spots all to insure complete bonding and uniform looks. maybe u should try it out for uself before u go offering it up ?? don't want to have a unsatisfied customer .

lionshark
06-15-2013, 11:45 PM
i would say opticoat. and yes...you want to try it on something before a customers vehicle....just in case

OCD-tailing
06-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Lionshark and Poweraid,

You both are correct about offering something I haven't tried but I have no intention of doing that. My customer is in no hurry so I am going to determine my best option and then order some to use on my personal vehicle so he can see the results. If he is happy with what he sees then we will proceed. I didn't put all of this in the original post as I was trying to be fairly concise. Thanks a bunch for your input--I appreciate the guidance. :props:

poweraid
06-16-2013, 08:49 AM
you know u don't have to go all out and try oc . if u have used a wowa product like opti-seal , u can do oc . prep is key , clean clean paint .

poweraid
06-16-2013, 08:57 AM
I forgot , hit that search function for opticoat and read it all up . great info out there for first time users . people around here by me don't want to pay for nothing to clean , shine or protect their vehicles . the local auto touch free wash and wax makes them thrilled , lol

hernandez.art13
06-16-2013, 10:35 AM
I forgot , hit that search function for opticoat and read it all up . great info out there for first time users . people around here by me don't want to pay for nothing to clean , shine or protect their vehicles . the local auto touch free wash and wax makes them thrilled , lol

NP IMO, it happens to me here on AGO all the time lol

hernandez.art13
06-16-2013, 10:37 AM
http://youtu.be/JRUMacSk1ko

(Have no affiliations)

TroyScherer
06-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Having used both I can say they are both easy to use and each have their own strong points.

OC is a "permanent" coating lasting 4+ years when applied properly. It is basically like adding a new layer of clear coat that is "harder" and has better dirt releasing properties. But it is not a force field. It can scratch and be marred. But when you polish it you are simply removing the OC not the clear coat. I have had some problems with water spotting but that is more,to do with sprinklers and water sitting on large flat panels in tight little beads. I am getting ready to try some Sonax Polymer Net Shield to combat this problem.

CQ is what I would consider "semi-permanent". It lasts 1.5-2yrs+ depending on care and maintenance. It is easy to apply if you prep properly and follow the directions. For me CQ darkens paint a little more and adds a little extra compared to OC. Because most people that care about their vehicles finish are not going to be happy with it after 1-2 years CQ makes sense because you supply polish it off and re-perfect and then re-apply. You may want to check out my review of CQ.

Link: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/49041-product-review-cquartz-ceramic-quartz-paint-protection.html

I was so impressed with the original CQ that I am now prepping to re-do the car in CQUK. It is said to have a better look withy the same great properties.

In the end both are great options it just depends on what you and your customer want. Realistically after 1-2 years either option will show some signs of wear (marring, minor swirls) and the customer may want a refresh. My big point it to make sure you are not selling / and customer doesn't think OC is some end all product. Proper care and maintenance is still needed.

hernandez.art13
06-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Having used both I can say they are both easy to use and each have their own strong points.

OC is a "permanent" coating lasting 4+ years when applied properly. It is basically like adding a new layer of clear coat that is "harder" and has better dirt releasing properties. But it is not a force field. It can scratch and be marred. But when you polish it you are simply removing the OC not the clear coat. I have had some problems with water spotting but that is more,to do with sprinklers and water sitting on large flat panels in tight little beads. I am getting ready to try some Sonax Polymer Net Shield to combat this problem.

CQ is what I would consider "semi-permanent". It lasts 1.5-2yrs+ depending on care and maintenance. It is easy to apply if you prep properly and follow the directions. For me CQ darkens paint a little more and adds a little extra compared to OC. Because most people that care about their vehicles finish are not going to be happy with it after 1-2 years CQ makes sense because you supply polish it off and re-perfect and then re-apply. You may want to check out my review of CQ.

Link: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/49041-product-review-cquartz-ceramic-quartz-paint-protection.html

I was so impressed with the original CQ that I am now prepping to re-do the car in CQUK. It is said to have a better look withy the same great properties.

In the end both are great options it just depends on what you and your customer want. Realistically after 1-2 years either option will show some signs of wear (marring, minor swirls) and the customer may want a refresh. My big point it to make sure you are not selling / and customer doesn't think OC is some end all product. Proper care and maintenance is still needed.

Thank You Troy,

It makes me wonder why it is advertised as permanent when it's truly not?

Jaddie
06-16-2013, 11:40 AM
but a business for you and you are offering a product and application to a customer that you know little or nothing about ? idk about that .

Dear OCD-tailing & poweraid

If OCD-tailing wants to offer permanent coatings for his clients, I heartily encourage him to do so.

He's not going to learn any younger, and nowhere do we claim to be perfect.

I don't have any doubt that if he's done seventy vehicles, he'll be able to apply Opti-Coat or CQuartz as well as anyone else on his first try.

If OCD-tailing aspires to be a professional detailer, there's no time like the present to begin applying nanocoatings.

Just do it.

hernandez.art13
06-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Dear OCD-tailing & poweraid

If OCD-tailing wants to offer permanent coatings for his clients, I heartily encourage him to do so.

He's not going to learn any younger, and nowhere do we claim to be perfect.

I don't have any doubt that if he's done seventy vehicles, he'll be able to apply Opti-Coat or CQuartz as well as anyone else on his first try.

If OCD-tailing aspires to be a professional detailer, there's no time like the present to begin applying nanocoatings.

Just do it.

Yep I agree Jaddie, we are here to learn not judge.

Optic coat away!

TroyScherer
06-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Thank You Troy,

It makes me wonder why it is advertised as permanent when it's truly not?

If you want to get absolutely technical nothing; not even the universe is "permanent". But OC is "permanent" just like the clear coat on your paint is "permanent". Basically meaning that the only thing to take it off is physical & mechanical abrasion...

CQ I classify as "semi-permanent" / "super sealant" because it will wear away slowly as time goes on, at least that is my findings on our daily driver. On a pure show car I would expect it to last for possibly years.

So IMO comparing OC to other "coatings / super sealants" like CQ, 22ple, wolfs is not really far. As they are 2 very different technologies. Even though they both are trying to protect your surface and make it look better for longer. It is simply 2 different ways of coming at the same problem.

As I noted earlier, most of us may not be satisfied to "coat" a vehicle once and simply do nothing but wash it for the rest of its life. So if you want full long wearing protection and don't worry about minor stuff OC may be for you. If you want to re-polish yearly or even bi-yearly and re-coat CQ or even CQUK may be the way to go. You always have to look at and access your /your clients needs and act accordingly.

hernandez.art13
06-16-2013, 01:18 PM
If you want to get absolutely technical nothing; not even the universe is "permanent". But OC is "permanent" just like the clear coat on your paint is "permanent". Basically meaning that the only thing to take it off is physical & mechanical abrasion...

CQ I classify as "semi-permanent" / "super sealant" because it will wear away slowly as time goes on, at least that is my findings on our daily driver. On a pure show car I would expect it to last for possibly years.

So IMO comparing OC to other "coatings / super sealants" like CQ, 22ple, wolfs is not really far. As they are 2 very different technologies. Even though they both are trying to protect your surface and make it look better for longer. It is simply 2 different ways of coming at the same problem.

As I noted earlier, most of us may not be satisfied to "coat" a vehicle once and simply do nothing but wash it for the rest of its life. So if you want full long wearing protection and don't worry about minor stuff OC may be for you. If you want to re-polish yearly or even bi-yearly and re-coat CQ or even CQUK may be the way to go. You always have to look at and access your /your clients needs and act accordingly.

Thank You Very Much TroyScherer, I do understand what you meant.

Again Thank You