PDA

View Full Version : Clay isn't working?

otruba_843
06-17-2013, 04:15 PM
So i'm in the middle of doing my yearly paint correction and I IronX'd the car today with the paste. After I dried the car, I started claying with the meguiars clay from the OTC clay kit. I bought the kit a year and a half ago but just opened the second bar that came sealed in a package today. It has been stored in my garage since I bought it. For some reason, its picking up almost nothing. I did the baggie test after claying and I can still feel contaminants on the paint. If I drag my clean hand over the paint, it still is making noise. Im using ONR as clay lube at 1oz ONR to 31oz of distilled water. What's going on? The clay is pretty much gliding as soon as I start claying the panel but when I fell the paint it's not as smooth as I think it should be. Did the clay get ruined from the heat? The car sleeps in the garage and on weekdays is parked outside. It has been about 7k miles and it has been a year and a half since it was last clayed. Why is this happening?

Evan.J
06-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Might need a more aggressive clay bar. Seems like you have have some heavily bonded contaminants going on there. The white megs bar is pretty mild as far as clay goes.

otruba_843
06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Might need a more aggressive clay bar. Seems like you have have some heavily bonded contaminants going on there. The white megs bar is pretty mild as far as clay goes.

Any OTC clay bars that are more agressive? Is the griot's clay more aggressive.

Evan.J
06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Not to my knowledge.

cleanmycorolla
06-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Have you tried a paint cleaner you may have handy. Sometimes the kaolin clay and chemicals in that cleaner can help with a stubborn spot.

otruba_843
06-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Have you tried a paint cleaner you may have handy. Sometimes the kaolin clay and chemicals in that cleaner can help with a stubborn spot.

I figured it out. I just read a thread on here and someone mentiond that the Meg's smooth surface clay kit clay only worked with Meg's QD. I had barley any left of Meg's QD and tried it and sure enough it took off a lot more contamination than it did using diluted ONR. The clay doesn't work with diluted ONR :(

inDetail
06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Chemical Guys makes a purple clay aggressive. Meg's has one as well.

Detailing by M
06-17-2013, 05:23 PM
you need some more friction. there's nothing wrong with the clay its just gliding over. Your lube is too slick. personally I just use water with a couple drops the soap works great.

bugeye
06-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Too slick? An interesting observation. I use soap/water as the Megs QD is gone.

SON1C
06-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Any OTC clay bars that are more agressive? Is the griot's clay more aggressive.

meg's pro otc blue clay pepboys carries it as well I'm sure others

cleanmycorolla
06-17-2013, 06:06 PM
I figured it out. I just read a thread on here and someone mentiond that the Meg's smooth surface clay kit clay only worked with Meg's QD. I had barley any left of Meg's QD and tried it and sure enough it took off a lot more contamination than it did using diluted ONR. The clay doesn't work with diluted ONR :(

Really? That seems odd. Not questioning you, but I've used what you used never an issue. What thread was this in?:props:

PPLd
06-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I have been using ONR with the ONR clay lube for years before I start to make my own clay lube. ONR works OK with Megs white clay actually.