What to do with new black paint

Handyman

Reaction score
We just bought a new Honda Pilot in black. Surprisingly, the dealership did not swirl it all up. I instructed the salesman to have the best guy do it. I am starting with a clean slate so want to keep it nice. I have a Porter Cable and the range of pads. What should my treatment plan be?

I am new here and like you after purchasing a BLACK GMC 2500HD Crewcab wanted to keep it looking good so I researched and read and this is what I have learned since I have been here.

Foam Cannon for loosening up the dirt and fun to play with. (Chemical Guys Honeydew and MR. Pink Soap)
2 Bucket wash system w/grit guard with good Micro Fiber Wash Mitt.
Not all the time but when needed Clay and lube to remove contaminants.
I have chosen to use BlackFire products so I use Blackfire Wet Diamond for sealant with Blackfire Blackice on top.

For in between washes I use Chemical Guys V7.

:buffing:

We just bought a new Honda Pilot in black. Surprisingly, the dealership did not swirl it all up. I instructed the salesman to have the best guy do it. I am starting with a clean slate so want to keep it nice. I have a Porter Cable and the range of pads. What should my treatment plan be?

Well first I would say give it a nice wash down then after drying inspect your paint to really see what going on. Check for any light swirls holograms and so on then here you go:

How to Detail Your Brand New Car!

^ This
It could well be that the dealer applied some sort of fillers to mask the defects. A few washes will wear them down. If you want to check on it now, apply some paint cleaner or even 10% IPA wipe down on your next wash. However, if you do, you will need to wax which I am sure you will do regardless.

I do a lot of new hondas like this:
1. dawn the crap out of it - heavy concentration-clay during the wash
2. blackfire total polish and seal
3. blackfire wet diamond
4. blackfire crystal seal - 2 coats -6 hours apart

then normal washes and every 8-10 washes apply a new coat of crystal seal.....

I just bought a new black car and this is what i did and would recommend:

-Wash with Meguiars Gold Class or other quality car wash
-Spray entire car and rims with IronX to remove iron contaminants
-Mothers Clay Bar to remove remaining contaminants
-Menzerna SF4500 to remove any minor swirls and to jewel the paint.
-Menzerna Power Lock to seal the car
-Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax to give it that glow

Maintain with car wash, Souveran Paste Wax, and a good interior detailer

I do a lot of new hondas like this:
1. dawn the crap out of it - heavy concentration-clay during the wash
2. blackfire total polish and seal
3. blackfire wet diamond
4. blackfire crystal seal - 2 coats -6 hours apart

then normal washes and every 8-10 washes apply a new coat of crystal seal.....

Just did this to my new car yesterday and the results were fantastic!

Congrats on the Pilot! My mother has one and man does that thing have a lot more real estate than you'd think it would!

What to do with new black paint?......return what its attached to and get another color, LOL!

That paint is soft and vehicle isn't exactly small, good luck to you, lots of great info here!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

I would probably start with a green pad and finish with a black pad. The 4500 has little cut so you need a pad to help it get the swirls out.

I would probably start with a green pad and finish with a black pad. The 4500 has little cut so you need a pad to help it get the swirls out.

Not to disagree, but I'd start with the black pad and then if you don't get the results you're looking for, work your way up to the green pad. Menzerna PF 4500 and a white pad left marring on my black 2013 Honda Accord.

Since Honda paint is notoriously soft, you might want to consider Opticoat after polishing the paint to a high gloss-should make your care routine simpler in the future.

Follow the steps here... it's incredibly detailed information on what to do and the steps to follow...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

Lots of links and videos in the above article. If you read through it, watch some of the videos, you'll have a really good base of knowledge to proceed and avoid a lot of mistakes.

:)

Back